Model Cars Magazine Forum

Motorcycle Cables

How do we fit motorcycle cables? The tubing always seems to be far too small/and or the nibs on parts like the brake calipers are way too big. Do we heat the end of the tubing in hot water?

Hi Jim, the kit is 1/9th scale. I have opened out the plastic tubing with a cocktail stick and doing one front caliper, on the other side I opened out the tubing, it fitted the handlebar/brake lever end but at the caliper end the nib broke off straight away. I will try to drill drill though the caliper and add a piece of wire then attach the tubing over that. As per Daniel's suggestion. 

I hear ya about bike cables,,they are a challenge.  What Ive found is these flexabie jewlery braid things from Micheals crafts ,,or someone similar. There already black,,very flexable to wrap around frames and gas tanks ect,,and how I attach them is pretty simple,,you get about 10 in a package{6$},,you have to cut to length,,and simply use a electronic wire holder with alligator clips,,hold the end of the cable flush to the clutch or front brake pedal levers,,and do like 3 coats of superglue,,small amount each app  to avoid the  "wart" if you put a huge blob on.  Let dry,,and it works pretty well,,no drilling//installing wire,,sometimes Ill use JB weld also. Hope this helps

014.JPG

Thank you all for your input. Unfortunately I'm in the UK, so things to do with detailing any model is in very short supply. I've been able to mount two cables at present from the brake levers down to the brake calipers on the front forks. These were by using mini drills and brass/copper wire and the kit plastic tubing. I hope to add the rear brake caliper and various other small tubing on the frame today.  

• 2 weeks later...