Model Cars Magazine Forum

72 ford tribute to dad ( updated)

This has been sitting a few years. My dad had bought a old louisville water company truck, it was black and orange. He sanded and sanded and put it in red primer. It was a 6 cylinder and he put stacks on it. Had to have a y pipe made. Mom hated them stacks because after a rain when he started the truck soot just shot out all over her car. He had to be sure to park behind her. My strongest memory of this truck is the sound. I was cutting school one day i was visiting a girl at another school. That school had 2 morning bells, the 1st was a warning the 2nd one meant the doors are locked and you cannot get out. I made it out and was walking down preston street. All of a sudden i hear those pipes, i was like oh BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. Ducked down behind the concrete barrier an re tied my shoe. Thought for sure i was busted. Cab is moebius 72 sport coupe, the engine is from moebius 66 ford f100, this bed is from 2 other kits. May build the bed from the 66 and try it. Wheels and rims from junk parts. The hold up was the stacks, could not find any even close even bought aluminum tube to build some but the shrouds became an issue. But now thanks to " olmadmodeler" i now have these which are perfect.  Thanks Steve.  I was working on the del rio edsel wagon but screwed up the interior panels. One day i may learn to leave well enough alone. 

20220722_172535.jpg.0165b50ff3f3205d8d42c868bbe8deda.jpg20220722_172608.jpg.06dcec2171e462091b89e32173945808.jpg20220722_172632.jpg.2f59fb2d4f5fc85e32f0afa95fd098ac.jpg20220722_172305.jpg.66d2e1fc3f4c40328608c59fe9a584b6.jpg

Edited by TNT
Update

There is nothing like the sound of a dads truck when they hotrod it. For me it was my dad's 1960 Chevy Apache stepside! 283 with true duals, an rv cam, and glass packs. I always knew when my dad was coming home from work. Unforgettable sound, and awesome memories. I even drove that truck to high school on my last day. I wish he never sold it.

4 hours ago, Chevythunder85 said:

There is nothing like the sound of a dads truck when they hotrod it. For me it was my dad's 1960 Chevy Apache stepside! 283 with true duals, an rv cam, and glass packs. I always knew when my dad was coming home from work. Unforgettable sound, and awesome memories. I even drove that truck to high school on my last day. I wish he never sold it.

Them old glass packs where cool back then. We was poor and instead of the cherry bombs we had orange peelers, it was like 71 or 72 i got to help the old man work on the 66 malibu. That was a 2 door. Later we had a 4 door. 

I like the background story for your build. Your paint finish looks much like your father's truck was. As a FYI on the stacks. Back when they were a little more common sight on pickups the rainwater issue was handled by drilling a very small hole at the base of the turnup for the stacks. This would let any water that collected to drain as well as startup condensation. Problem was that area would rust after a couple of years. 

52 minutes ago, espo said:

I like the background story for your build. Your paint finish looks much like your father's truck was. As a FYI on the stacks. Back when they were a little more common sight on pickups the rainwater issue was handled by drilling a very small hole at the base of the turnup for the stacks. This would let any water that collected to drain as well as startup condensation. Problem was that area would rust after a couple of years. 

Thanks. Funny how the fads on vehicles are about like fads on clothes, they have their own eras. Like bell bottom jeans. 

4 hours ago, espo said:

Don't forget leisure suits and white belts.  

Oh my. Never had the white belt but i did sport some leisure suits. And the shirts printed with images on them. And the tall sole shoes. I had one pair i think  must of had a 2 inch heel. Dang we was cool. Good ole days. And anyone wanted to raise the rear end of a vehicle just used shackles.

1 hour ago, slusher said:

I enjoyed the story about your dads truck. I had shackles on my 76 Pinto for a year…

Thanks. Bell bottoms n shackles and you was one of the cool kids. Dang, life was easier back then well more fun any way. A buddys older brother had a mustard or baby poo yellow pinto but he had a pioneer system in it so we got him to drive us around until my other buddy got a 68 ford truck with a 360 n 3 on the tree. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TNT said:

Thanks. Bell bottoms n shackles and you was one of the cool kids. Dang, life was easier back then well more fun any way. A buddys older brother had a mustard or baby poo yellow pinto but he had a pioneer system in it so we got him to drive us around until my other buddy got a 68 ford truck with a 360 n 3 on the tree. 

Pioneer radios were the first aftermarket radios that I can remember that we could afford. Now if you want to step back in time a little further, about the time Vibrasonic  rear seat speakers came in vogue along with 45 rpm record players mounted under the dash. I think the '65 GTO's were the first cars to offer the Vibrasonic radio from the factory. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

Pioneer radios were the first aftermarket radios that I can remember that we could afford. Now if you want to step back in time a little further, about the time Vibrasonic  rear seat speakers came in vogue along with 45 rpm record players mounted under the dash. I think the '65 GTO's were the first cars to offer the Vibrasonic radio from the factory. 

I have heard of them seen them on line and in model kits but never in a 1:1. We had a 67 impala with the rear seat speaker  greatest darn ever.

18 hours ago, TNT said:

I added an 8 track to mine. I really enjoyed 8 track and they was cheap around 80 and 81.  My pinto was lemon yello but some colors was bad…

5 hours ago, slusher said:

I added an 8 track to mine. I really enjoyed 8 track and they was cheap around 80 and 81.  My pinto was lemon yello but some colors was bad…

I went in the army in 81. Ended up with a pea green vega. Blew up on me. 

• TNT changed the title to 72 ford tribute to dad ( updated)

Sorry it has been a bit. Life happens. Added the firewall from the moebius 66 ford as the one in the kit left a gap at the cowl. Switched back to the bed from the 66 kit. I had built a bed from 2 junkers, it fit fine but lacked underneath details. But i have made a bit progress. Thanks for looking.

20220811_000847.jpg.c7ab62092206d8d8031f8a4fe645c0e2.jpg20220811_000537.jpg.17ddcc54e2686eeee1c7ebf568ef83d8.jpg20220811_000522.jpg.975b09a061404cc29a7840b54e97294f.jpg20220811_000454.jpg.b66b01b07c0d4fdb0ab79625991097e4.jpg20220811_000435.jpg.10fb97eca964ea0149da691297917a16.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/24/2022 at 1:27 PM, espo said:

Pioneer radios were the first aftermarket radios that I can remember that we could afford.

Funny you should mention Pioneer.  I have one with CD player and four speakers all still in the box.  Bought them when Circuit City closed their doors in 2009.  I was going to install them in the '83 S-10 I inherited from my Dad.  Lost interest in working on the S-10 and finally sold it.  Still have the stereo system. Don't need it in my new F-150.  Maybe I will pick up something in the future to install it in.

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

Funny you should mention Pioneer.  I have one with CD player and four speakers all still in the box.  Bought them when Circuit City closed their doors in 2009.  I was going to install them in the '83 S-10 I inherited from my Dad.  Lost interest in working on the S-10 and finally sold it.  Still have the stereo system. Don't need it in my new F-150.  Maybe I will pick up something in the future to install it in.

Might as well hold onto the radio. As you mentioned, the possibility of a future project where it could be used. You may not be able to get what you paid for it anyway, so I'd just tuck it a way for that future project. 

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

Did your s10 have the 4.3? That is a beast of a motor. Pioneer was the one to have back in the day. Need to find a vega or pinto wagon.