Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 72' Chevy Ramp Truck/w car.

Hey folks,just finished this MPC Ramp Truck. had some minor issues with a few things,but nothing a dremmel couldnt take care of,,lol.  I wont bother goin into it,,it turned out cool just the same. Ive always been a fan of the mid-late 60's and 70's Chevy trucks.  So I kept the decals on cab to a minimun,,to enjoy the basic cab lines and design.Rattle can testors quik dry Firey orange,,Hardware store paint for chassis,,and hand painted details.  The kit came with only  4  wire wheel rims,,so found 2 more in the leftovers parts bx.  The Chevelle is an AMT  pro street kit done a while back.   All in all,,glad to have it on the shelf!   Thanks for lookin,,build on!

003.JPG

006.JPG

011.JPG

013.JPG

020.JPG

018.JPG

023.JPG

028.JPG

20 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking pair. I like the colors you used and The Chevelle is just what you would expect on the back. The tandem axel setup they used seems odd to me, but you have made it look good here. 

Thanks Espo,,yea the rear axle was an issue,,I mocked up the 2nd axle at rear and the axle heights were different {enter dremmel here} fixed that,,and I had to add an x-tra mounting tab at very back of chassis,,the 2 little tabs wouldnt support a solid weld to ramp. .  And if you look at the front bumper{chassis underside pic} theres 2 mounting brackets I made  to weld to frame,,otherwise it would have been a flood weld from behind the grill to cab to mount,,risking glue seepage to front grill area{ I hate that when that happens} So it was a challenge,,but hey for a 50 year old kit,,its just fine!  Thnks,  S

52 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Looks good! How did you get rid of the spare tire on the chassis?

Thnx OCF,,oddly enough,,it didnt have the rear tire cover molded in the chassis,,otherwise that would have been more trimming for sure.  And I dont remember seeing one to install in the kit,,I have heard of folks having to remove that cover. So maybe my kit is a different run /version of the kit?  Not sure .   Thnks again. S

{Note To Self}  I really need to build a garage/race track  Dia-rama,,I was just looking at the pics,,and it dawned on me:  Why in the world would the  owner of this ramp truck drive it thru the Grand Canyon,,and stop and unload? Moving right along,,,,,

2 hours ago, skymnky721 said:

{Note To Self}  I really need to build a garage/race track  Dia-rama,,I was just looking at the pics,,and it dawned on me:  Why in the world would the  owner of this ramp truck drive it thru the Grand Canyon,,and stop and unload? Moving right along,,,,,

Let's just say - great photo opportunity!

Hope the pair on the motorcycle made it through the obstacle safely. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 4:16 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Let's just say - great photo opportunity!

Hope the pair on the motorcycle made it through the obstacle safely. 

LOL,,yes there just fine,actually that backdrop pic is a page from a Honda Goldwing ad from the dealership.  Working on some diorama ideas lately,,thanks for lookin!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Pretty sharp looking. Does the car fit over the tool box?

Thanks,,not the red tool box  that the guy is posing on.  That tool bx didnt come in the kit,,its from another kit.  I thought about making a  tire rack mounted on top of cab/ramp area,,but it looked good as is.  Fun kit,,thanks again