Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 62 Impala uptop?

Both tops look the same in the pictures? You would need to enlarge the rear window if you're trying to build a stock vehicle, but I don't think that would be that difficult. Maybe see if someone will loan you the top of the '59 Impala kit to see just how close it would be. 

17 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

The Monogram ‘59 Impala top is a hair too wide at the front, and considerably too long for the AMT ‘62 Impala.

As is usually the case, modifications will be required for a correct looking fit.

And considerably easier to make a slightly too large part smaller than the other way around...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

And considerably easier to make a slightly too large part smaller than the other way around...

Agreed.

Just thought that I would post some actual comparison photos so that the OP knew what he was facing should he decide to go this route.

No sense in taking the time to hunt one down if you don’t want to put the work into it.

Steve

21 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

How about one from a similar year Buick or Pontiac? 

They seem to be easier to come by, especially the '62 Buicks.

I already have one of the Buicks and seem to see them coming up as builts and parted out quite often.

Yes.

I’m using the top from the ‘62 Buick annual for my ‘64 Bonneville project.

Also required some mods, but it was fairly close from the start.

27D8FEAA-F41C-45BE-985B-A76BCCCE1F18.thumb.jpeg.8ca07e0bf0ad4ec161cf6310cfd15616.jpeg9604D50C-1E0B-482A-88AA-951123189CB4.thumb.jpeg.05f8a66628dcbab404050d515f00e5f7.jpeg

Steve

• Like 1

The up-top out of the '62 Buick would be a better bet as it's more accurate for all of GM's full size convertibles from '61-'64. The Revell '59 Chevy one while nice, has a bit different "sail panel" in the rear than the later cars. As Steve mentioned, you're going to have to do some tweaking here and there to get the top to fit.