Model Cars Magazine Forum

sticker shock

Back when I started in the hobby in the early 70s everything was bought for me for my birthday, Christmas and as a reward for doing something good like getting a needle at the doctors or something. I'm pretty sure my mom did that after we came from the pediatricians office one day. The pharmacy was almost directly across the street, and we had to fill a prescription and while we were waiting, there was that model of that green Thames gasser. I must have impressed everybody with the way I built it because after that, I was model guy. Everybody knew what to buy me for special occasions. I got so many models even ones I never wanted. Now back then there was no internet. The way you bought a model was to go in the hobby shop or drugstore and pick out what you wanted. There was also no aftermarket, no 3D printing. The way you did custom stuff was with what they now call kit bashing. I can remember having a plastic serving saver container with all kinds of parts. Wheels, tires, engine blocks blowers, things like that. Then I had a special box for the really nice parts. One time I can remember scratch building a winch bumper. Don't remember if I ever got to use it on anything.

Some of the old kits I can remember having were that Thames gasser, one of the Red Alert Chevelles, the Revell 1/16 Chevy 4x4, the Monogram big T (the one with the Daisy mags on the rear), a street version of that MPC 1/20 Ford van. and numerous others. I do remember the only contest I entered I got 3rd at a shop called Herbs Hobbies in Doylestown PA for my lifted version of the Boondocker Blazer in metallic brown with the big Desert Dog tires. They must have been impressed because nobody was doing anything like that yet. after that I discovered motorcycles and girls and I guess I lost interest. 

I don't ever remember buying a single model kit so I couldn't tell you wat they cost back then.

Back in the 70s, be it Kmart or Stars (later Tars after a fire at the store and the letter “S” crashed and burned off the front facade)  remember kits were $5 - $7 depending on what it is, little square Testors paint bottles were less than $1, tube glue were $.99, spray cans were less than $2. I didn’t get Model Master paints until around ‘79 or ‘80s and they ran around $1.25.

Edited by BlackSheep214

The only constant is change!!!!!

But I understand. Building since 1961 I recall kits at Pick N Save were 99 cents. K Mart had current kits at $1.38!! It is knda hard to pay $36 for a kit pretty much unchanged since it was $1.38!!!! If it was inflation alone a kit should cost around $13........so the $36 is a reflection of how much smaller the market is today vs 1961.  Still a cheaper hobby than many. My O scale trains have gone up a HUGE amount with locomotives crossing the $2000 line!!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mid to late 90s I was working at safeway after school. There was a very small local hobby shop sold tamiya for £30, italeri and heller were 15-25 but if i ordered from an advert in the back page of street machine or custom car mags I could get amt and monogram kits for a fiver, but I was impatient so I bought the expensive kits local and would do the odd day trip to aberdeen to a toy shop that sold the american kits. My only exposure to other people models then was the small talk pages in street machine and modellers corner in trucking international. I think the first kit I actually bought was with money I earned for being in a tv movie called venus peter, and the kit was an italeri peterbuilt wrecker that cost £32 from a newsagent that sold toys. I dont remember ever building that kit after buying it but it was shortly after seeing convoy on tv after being allowed up 5 hours after my bedtime on a school night because we didn't have a video recorder

Kutza drug store in Chicago was, hardware store, candy store, comic bookstore and model store. No models were over $1.98. The Testors  bottles where 10 cents, glue was 15 cents and spray cans were 50 cents. 

I see a lot of car kits going for over $100.00. I am not cheap but a $100.00 for a model car kit is too rich for my blood.

Mike

• Like 1

Lotsa ways to control costs in the hobby, especially if you're not real particular about what you build.

40% off coupons, liquidation stores, and careful price comparisons online can cut kit expenditures in half.

Using automotive rattlecan paints gets you a lot more material than hobby-specific paints. There's a learning curve, but the cost savings can be substantial.

Airbrushing is another way to cut costs, once you get past the initial expense for the equipment. You'll use less material, and waste less. You can also decant and use "bad" rattlecan material.

Buying solvent "cement" like MEK in bulk containers (if you don't live in an overprotective mommy state) can save a chunk too.

EDIT: Nothing is ever going to get cheaper, so putting some thought into what you get for your money makes more sense now than ever.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2

When I first got started in this hobby in the 80s I remember kits being around $7 or so at Kmart. Like others I have a very hard time paying $30+ for a kit that's been out since the 60s. I seldom buy kits from retailers anymore unless it's something I really want.

Model shows/swaps is where I buy most of my kits anymore. For instance- AMT '58 Impala 1969 issue for $10, the new reissue is $38, AMT '56 Ford Crown Vic $5 the new reissue is probably the same $38.  Revell Lincoln Futura reissue $10, etc etc etc. Not to mention it's more fun to dig around stacks of kits finding something you need! I can take $2-300 to a swap and leave with my car trunk overflowing, most of the time I leave with it full and still have money left over at the end of the show.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 1:30 PM, theraif said:

havent built anything in long time , i knew the average kit now is $20-30 a little shocked on paints 😁

Yes sir this is true. But my friend Bob schooled me on model purchases. I buy from our local IPMS meeting or a IPMS contest with a swap meet. Some guys are really proud of their kits but you can find some really good deals at a swap meet or your local IPMS meeting. Bought a old Johan kit for $5

D881F770-A4B8-419B-AD81-6D1FDB30E737.jpeg

I’m 61 years young as they say now adays. Been building and more importantly buying since about 1969. I don’t think the kits should be the same price paid in the early years of my involvement in this hobby. With that said, I’m a builder not a collector. The crappy kits from MPC in the 60’s are still crappy kits of today and why anyone would pay more then $5.00 for that is beyond me. What I would like to see from the suppliers is more modern SUV’s and trucks of today. There hasn’t been a Brockway or a White Road Boss or an International 4070 on the road for 25 years. Let’s see a new Freightliner or International with an engine that has all the emission controls that we see on the road today. How many model A fords and barracudas do we need? I don’t mind paying my hard earned money for a new and interesting kit but I’m not about to buy a kit that I could have purchased for $2.25 years ago for $30.00 now. This is why this hobby is in trouble.

On 7/29/2022 at 9:16 PM, Oldriginal86 said:

I’m 61 years young as they say now adays. Been building and more importantly buying since about 1969. I don’t think the kits should be the same price paid in the early years of my involvement in this hobby. With that said, I’m a builder not a collector. The crappy kits from MPC in the 60’s are still crappy kits of today and why anyone would pay more then $5.00 for that is beyond me. What I would like to see from the suppliers is more modern SUV’s and trucks of today. There hasn’t been a Brockway or a White Road Boss or an International 4070 on the road for 25 years. Let’s see a new Freightliner or International with an engine that has all the emission controls that we see on the road today. How many model A fords and barracudas do we need? I don’t mind paying my hard earned money for a new and interesting kit but I’m not about to buy a kit that I could have purchased for $2.25 years ago for $30.00 now. This is why this hobby is in trouble.

Up to a point. I believe there’s a modern Chevy Silverado or Ford F-150 kit is coming out in Q4. Not sure what kit company though. It would be nice to see other classic cars come out in a kit.... 60s automobiles such as  Dodge Dart - both in wagon and sedans, Plymouth Demon, Valiants, Chryslers, 70s, 80s & 90s auto kits such as Ford Thunderbirds, Ford Granada, Chevy Lumina, Monte Carlo SS, Malibu, etc...

On 7/24/2022 at 6:10 PM, cobraman said:

Many moons ago when I started getting heavy into models a store called Zayres had the 1.50 ones for 1.11 and the 2.00 ones for about 1.50.

Zayres,  now that's a name I've not heard in a long time, a long time.I remember they changed their name or sold out to a store named Ames.

When I first started buy kits on my own, they where in $8 range in the early 90's at the toy store in the malls, Wal-Mart, hobby stores, and a store I can't remember the name of that had a great selection of models.

Here's a sticker shock.  I went to one of my usual hobby shops and he's usually pretty high on most things, but this was a shocker to me.  Last time i went he had the tamiya Mclaren senna for $70 which was already too high, but this time when i go back he had it for $95.  I'm telling myself like bruh this kit been in the same spot for months and now it's gonna sit there even longer until some silly goose bites.  I got that kit for $55 and you can still get it for around that.  This is why i can't support local shops like i  would love too, but i do get some paint here and there.

$1.39 for an AMT 60 Mercury in 1960, the first kit I ever bought.  The first kit I ever had was a 40 Ford Coupe for Christmas 1959 and it cost $1.49, cost more because it had more parts. Testors tube glue was $.10, Pactra, PLA bottle paints were $.15-20. AMT spray cans were $.49/59 depending on color.  Haven't bought a kit in a while simply because I am 73 years old and have over 200 unstarted kits on the shelves in my basement.  And yes, I do have difficulty paying +$30 for the same product in a slightly different box that I originally paid $1.39 for. Will hopefully be hitting a couple of shows this month and unloading a few of the "why did I buy this kit anyway".

The subject of current high kit and supplies prices seems to come up often here.  Does anybody bother to compare the incomes (salary) from when the $1.39 kits were available to your current income.  Doing that will lessen the pain of the high prices.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1