Model Cars Magazine Forum

Flatbed trailer

Everything on this trailer is scratch built except for the wheels and tyres and the sand shoes on the landing legs. I wanted a flatbed to go with my assortment of 1/32 tractors but at this scale there's only dry vans, reefers and the fuel tanker. My only option was to modify a diecast unit or build my own. Looking at the die cast stuff I could see it really wasn't suitable, the suspension detail was dire so I chose the "build" path. I bought various plastic profiles from a hobby shop and set to work copying the construction of the real thing. I modelled it on some Trailmobile trailers on auction websites. The rear tandems slide and the landing legs operate. The paint is Post Office Red over red oxide primer. I modified the AMT 1/32 chrome wheels to look like 2 hole Budds. I made my own decals for the mudflaps using Microsoft Paint and reduced some Trailmobile badges for the front and back. 

This has been one of the most satisfying models I have ever built. I'm over the moon with it and am now wondering what I could build next, despite having 4 projects on the go already. I'm thinking of a removable goose neck trailer.  🤔

IMG_20220725_105629155.jpg

IMG_20220725_105456531.jpg

IMG_20220725_105438534.jpg

IMG_20220725_105312780.jpg

IMG_20220725_105345585.jpg

IMG_20220725_105335286.jpg

IMG_20220725_105308437~2.jpg

IMG_20220723_223538112.jpg

IMG_20220723_223956106.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Gents, I've got to make a bit of an apology here, I never thanked you for your kind comments about my trailer. 

My brain's a bid scrambled nowadays since I got COVID in Feb of this year and I keep forgetting to do things. It's getting better but I'm still missing stuff. 

So thanks very much for your observations on my flatbed. I'm very proud of it, l look back at my work and I really don't know how I did it!

Thanks Rick. I still can't believe I built a trailer that looks like a trailer and not a stick with some wheels on it. 

The wheels and tyres are AMT 1/32 pieces. The tyres are excellent the wheels are dire, 10 hole featureless rubbish. They took a lot of work to look credible. The sad part is that the tyres are too small and can ruin the look of a kit if you don't reposition the axles for the correct spacing. I used them here because at the far end of the trailer your eye doesn't notice the difference between the two sizes, Monogram to AMT. I considered using them on a tractor but they look ridiculous in the wheel arches etc... on a trailer there's little for the eye to use for proportion. Such a shame because I love the tyres.