Model Cars Magazine Forum

1949 Ford coupe

Paul Payne

Decided to customize a 1949 Ford. Sectioned on a slant to reduce the height of the rear fenders. In the parts stash I found a coupe top and glass from the AMT 1957 Thunderbird and decided to graft it in. The windshield will be laid down to match the new top. Headlights are stock Avanti with the stock bezels filed down at an angle. Pix next to a stock Ford for comparison. More to come when I get more done!

IMG_9926.jpg

IMG_9928.jpg

• Like 1

Jantrix, the final sectioning is already done- had marked some other ideas but decided on a wedge section to reduce the rear fenders. We shall see if that is the only body mod! Opinions wanted- should I radius the rear wheel openings? use skirts? other ideas? Want to do a late 40's- early 50's look but maybe with up to date paint?

I think I'd radius the rear fenders at least some; maybe even mimic the shape of the front opening. It would "lighten" the bulk of the semi-fastback rear end you're creating, which is working out pretty dang well!. The section relieved some bulk from the side-view, but you gained some back from the roof in a 3/4-rear-view (a fair trade!). Just my 2 pennies...

sectioned.jpg

Edited by bisc63
forgot pic!
  • Like 1

The great looking body mods sort of move it more into the late sixties or even newer. Something to consider is the transition of the bottom edge of the rear window and how it flows onto the trunk lid. The redesigned rear wheel well opening looks more balanced than the stock opening. 

i love a good 49-51 merc / ford build...

never liked the term "shoe boxes" though...

i seem to get bogged down on the frame/suspension portion and... back in the box it goes!

loving what im seeing

i vote for long flowing skirts

I agree, just tried that myself! Will probably add a filler piece to the side window areas similar to door window on the Matranga Merc. Also added filler pieces at the back of the removed roof area, just got the super glue applied. Also cut the front roll pan off the mild custom grille surround and moved the roll pan back to tuck in the front end. Do you notice, from the top, how the slight teardrop shape of the body is accented by the top contour? Cutting down the windshield frame (narrower at top) and tidying up somewhat sloppy cuts to lay in the frame, which will dictate the final length of the roof and also any alterations in the B pillar area. This is getting fun!

Sanding and filling and sanding. Pie cut the interior vertically at the rear, then pie cut again horizontally to fit inside the new roof. Trial fit shows things fitting pretty well. Need to dial in the ride height. Rear fenders are shaping up nicely. Will be adding 0.10" half round as upholstery on the rear seat, similar to the new front seats. Engine will be an Ardun with fuel injection, and a Columbia 2 speed rear axle with lowering blocks. More pix when I get more done!

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

• Like 1