Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Rod Hotel ! !

Lowlife ! !

Hi guys...

Theres a few of these kits by Heller,  thought it was time i tried one !
There quite detailed, but very thin and fragile, and has a multi piece body, at least you get opening doors !
Going to Hot rod it, usual small block, chopped and lowered suspension...
Ive fiited plastic around the cab to get it to fit straight, cut off the hinges and chopped it 2mm, Crager 5 spokes fit the bill, suspensions going to need some work !

Thanks for looking, more soon...

hotel.jpg

20220726_124844.jpg

20220726_124906.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !
  • Like 1

Thankyou guys, glad you approve !

Definately want to keep it that low, all the suspension is coming from the spares box, so i need the basic body together to work out where the suspension goes...
So im looking at the engine last, maybe even a straight 4 or 6 with a turbo ? 

Oh and better add hydraulics / airbags too !

Bit more chopping done, i wanted the cab roof more level with the rear roof, so the cab is 2/3 mm lower while the rear sides are chopped 7mm !
Ill get it as clean as i can with sandpaper before a coat of primer..

This shows the difference in height.. :D

20220802_125142.jpg

20220802_125043.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys...

Sorry progress has been a bit slow, but this thing is going backwards every step of the way !
I had to stop and think which order to put this all together, forget the instructions, so i started at the front and worked it out as i went...
After carefully measuring each piece and trying to keep the chops clean and precise, I failed to notice how warped the parts are, especially the chassis  !  

Its not till the rear half was added I noticed how bad it is, the panel behind the cab i scratched together, and its miles out now ! !
Also notice the open door ?   When i added the very first part, the cab floor, i glued it on upside down ! !  So this was ripped out and redone...

Heres a few pics, look above the cab roof, the white plastic strip, and your see how bad it is. Ive pulled it apart somewhat and hopefully Ill be back with a straight body soon !
Shame as im really happy with the look, its pretty cool for a citroen ! !

Sometimes makes me wish i could just build a model straight out the box... 

20220817_133850.jpg

20220817_134102.jpg

20220817_134415.jpg

• Like 1

I’m sure you will figure the issues out, so I am completely ignoring them at the moment. What I see is one mean and lean, very unusual, cool as heck, super original hot rod, that I am jealous of (in the best possible way) that I didn’t think of. 
I absolutely love it. It makes me want to go find one and build something similar. (Not happening anytime soon). 
Keep on it. I can’t wait to see it finished.

• 3 weeks later...