Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 LeMans GT Robert Burns 3D print

DoctorLarry

Some of you may have seen or bought 3D printed bodies from Robert Burns (Too Many Projects). The bodies have exceptional detail and are very crisp. The only problem with them (maybe besides cost) is they are only bodies with trim. They don't have interiors , chassis or other incidentals (although I think he has made a generic chassis now).  For the Collonade cars (Lemans and Cutlass, Can Am, Regal) an appropriate scale interior candidate is from the Jo-Han 1975 Cutlass. Some resin suppliers simple re-cast this with their bodies despite the fact that it is not accurate (even for the 75 Cutlass). The dash has good detail but the door panels are flat and the seats are terrible.  I have done resin castings for the 73, 75 and 76 Buick Regals and so when I got my Lemans body I started on an accurate interior. I'm about 90% done at this point. The Cutlass tub and dash are a good starting point after you get rid of the front seats and console. I'm making this modular so I can do different door panels and seats depending on year and make.  Some 73 GTO's, some Lemans cars and Can Am's used different upper door panels. Cutlasses used different upper and lower panels and almost all had different seat patterns. The tubs will reflect the back seat upholstery but everything else will be separate.

Lemans model interior 1.jpg

lemans model interior 2.jpg

lemans model dash.jpg

• Like 5

Welll done. Looks great. Actually,  there are lots of things you can print with a 3d printer. You can 3d print any plastic parts. Whichever you want. The thing is that they can be only plastic. The thing is the limits of your ability to model or someone who does it for you.  You can find lots of free sources for downloading. If you have free time you can easily learn how to model easy things yourself. The FreeCad is good for beginners. Learn to model yourself and you can detail your models however you want.

Edited by MikeWay

• 3 weeks later...

On 7/26/2022 at 1:53 PM, DoctorLarry said:

Hey Larry sent you a PM I’m interested in one!