Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 1968 F-250

I do want the F-250 4x4. I'd prefer the blue one, but with the snowplow's stock wheels. Take whatever I can get, however. Knowing how Moebuis does things, they will be two different kits, sadly.

Edited by stavanzer

I'm also waiting for that blue one, especially if it has that winch bumper, lift and 4x4. 

Not really a huge fan of this generation, but these look like such nice models. Pulse these things look so good with Fireball tires and wheels.

3 hours ago, stavanzer said:

I do want the F-250 4x4. I'd prefer the blue one, but with the snowplow's stock wheels. Take whatever I can get, however. Knowing how Moebuis does things, they will be two different kits, sadly.

I'm sure they designed it purposely that way, increase sales. You might be able to use Fireball wheels and tires on the blue version if you are wanting it with the winch and roll bar. I want the stock version with the snowplow, maybe we can work a deal on trading the wheels & tires?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

I'm sure they designed it purposely that way, increase sales. You might be able to use Fireball wheels and tires on the blue version if you are wanting it with the winch and roll bar. I want the stock version with the snowplow, maybe we can work a deal on trading the wheels & tires?

Yes, Brother, we can certainly work a trade when the F-250's get here. I'll be getting more Fireball wheels and tyres too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, leafsprings said:

Side note, head light buckets were not blacked out on '68's.

I quote this excerpt for merely one reason: the example truck's licence plate -- that's a 1971 issue (the 'B' as the letter indicates such). My 1970 Ranchero had a plate similar to this one's: 64 870 F. 
The plates included with the Ramp Truck are pretty close to accurate, needing only accurate spacing between the sets-of-number-to-the-only-letter (also a 'B' at the far-right).

12 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I quote this excerpt for merely one reason: the example truck's licence plate -- that's a 1971 issue (the 'B' as the letter indicates such). My 1970 Ranchero had a plate similar to this one's: 64 870 F. 
The plates included with the Ramp Truck are pretty close to accurate, needing only accurate spacing between the sets-of-number-to-the-only-letter (also a 'B' at the far-right).

My observations on original issue commercial Calif plates. For letters on the right side of plate. A, B, C  for '68, C, D, E for '69 E, F and G  for '70.  G, H, J are '71. New Blue commercial plates for '72 were K, L, M. Some overlapping are expected in some years for varioius reasons. Letters A-V on the left side of plate for '63-'67.  Commercial fleets were usually W X or Y.  The '67 model year was caught in the switch for letters on the left side to letters on the right side of plate.

1968-ford-f250-for-sale-2-1024x679.jpg

Edited by leafsprings
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, leafsprings said:

My observations on original issue commercial Calif plates. For letters on the right side of plate. A, B, C  for '68, C, D, E for '69 E, F and G  for '70.  G, H, J are '71. New Blue commercial plates for '72 were K, L, M. Some overlapping are expected in some years for varioius reasons. Letters A-V on the left side of plate for '63-'67.  Commercial fleets were usually W X or Y.  The '67 model year was caught in the switch for letters on the left side to letters on the right side of plate

Thanks much for the better info; for clarifying the alpha-numeric assignments. I recall that commercial - light duty pickups including El Camino et al. and Ranchero, and non-passenger vans, are considered as such here in California - plates changed to blue/gold for 1972 (calendar year, IIRC), some two years after passenger vehicles plates changed. 

Are you the fellow member who's shared historical info (links to documents) here before? 

15 hours ago, leafsprings said:

Side note, head light buckets were not blacked out on '68's.

I think they've done that to mitigate the effect of the woefully wrong grille and headlight buckets.  I would have bought many more of these if they'd got the grilles correct and done something about the warpage problems.

Got mine today. Disappointed to find that the “1968” grille is simply the ‘69 unit with its oversized headlight bezels and turn signals.  &*^%!!

Even after they worked to make the ‘67 grille look better.

I’m disappointed. Think I’ll send an email to Moebius…

Still excited to have a true 8-lug F-250 though. 

Edited by Matt T.

I'm not at all up to date on the year-to-year differences between grilles on Bumpside --and Dentside -- pickups  : So, other than the obvious change in horizontal bars (number of them; ostensibly a 'unique' centre bar) and vertical bars (width), turn signals' fluting, and the headlamps' buckets, what are the "improvements", etc., vs. the 1:1 grilles? 
What makes the '1968' grille such an inaccurate piece and a disappointment?

5 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I'm not at all up to date on the year-to-year differences between grilles on Bumpside --and Dentside -- pickups  : So, other than the obvious change in horizontal bars (number of them; ostensibly a 'unique' centre bar) and vertical bars (width), turn signals' fluting, and the headlamps' buckets, what are the "improvements", etc., vs. the 1:1 grilles? 
What makes the '1968' grille such an inaccurate piece and a disappointment?

The worst part about the original 69 grille that the 68 still has is the way oversize headlight surrounds. 

• Thanks 1

One of the resin casters was making '67-69 grilles a few years ago, incl. Ranger grilles w/ the center badge.  Have a few of them, pretty nice.  Alas, I think they are no longer in business or making them (Rookie Resin?)

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

One of the resin casters was making '67-69 grilles a few years ago, incl. Ranger grilles w/ the center badge.  Have a few of them, pretty nice.  Alas, I think they are no longer in business or making them (Rookie Resin?)

Indeed it was Rookie Resin that was making the corrected grilles for the Fords, hope he is able to re-start his business.

19 hours ago, leafsprings said:

Thanks for sharing photos Matt! The  larger wheels and  larger hubcaps look great!  The grill is another story.

Same goes for me, Matt. Thanks for the photos.

I will take a guess that there might (MIGHT) be enough parts between the Ramp truck with it's extra 4x4 axles and the F-250  with it's extra 4x4 front rims, to make an F-250 4x4 by kit bashing. However, this may not be true. I do not have either kit, and there may not be the correct parts to do this.

Tim will tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stavanzer said:

Same goes for me, Matt. Thanks for the photos.

I will take a guess that there might (MIGHT) be enough parts between the Ramp truck with it's extra 4x4 axles and the F-250  with it's extra 4x4 front rims, to make an F-250 4x4 by kit bashing. However, this may not be true. I do not have either kit, and there may not be the correct parts to do this.

Tim will tell.

All one would need is the transfer case, front drive shaft, front leaf springs and shocks in addition to what you mention above.

• Like 1