Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ramchargers Dragster Reissue - Wrong Body

jlucky

Not sure if this is the right category...but this is my current WIP.

I recently purchased the newly reissued Ramchargers Dragster to replace my old glue-bomb version and also because this new kit has the expanded decals. So I'm getting to the final stages of assembly and decals and lo-and-behold I discover the body is wrong. I dug out one of the older Ramcharger kits and sure enough they seem to have replaced the dragsters original rear body section with something that looks more like the John Milner dragster kit body. I can't be the only one to notice this? What happened? why did they do this?

I bought the new Ramchargers kit but didn't have the earlier version, so I'm not sure of the difference. I have an old two-piece body I picked that has the shorter rear section. Here's a pic of a resin that matches the Milner rail and another that's shorter between the cockpit and the chute area. Is that what you mean?

BodyComparison.jpg

Edited by gasser59

I can't see the old short version but the reissued kit has that same Milner styled tail section when it should have the original stubby version. I've uploaded some photos of my original Ramchargers car with the "proper" body as opposed to the revised Milner body that's in the new reissue.

Ramchargers 5.JPG

Ramchargers 7.JPG

John Milner 1.JPG

John Milner 4.JPG

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jlucky said:

Not sure if this is the right category...but this is my current WIP.

I recently purchased the newly reissued Ramchargers Dragster to replace my old glue-bomb version and also because this new kit has the expanded decals. So I'm getting to the final stages of assembly and decals and lo-and-behold I discover the body is wrong. I dug out one of the older Ramcharger kits and sure enough they seem to have replaced the dragsters original rear body section with something that looks more like the John Milner dragster kit body. I can't be the only one to notice this? What happened? why did they do this?

The Rams dragster became the Milner drag car when they did a tie in to the More American Graffiti movie. Then it got a Coupe body before the kit disappeared for a while. But I guess they must have opened up the Milner gates on the mold.

Also, the decals are wrong as well. 

Hey guys...thanks for your observations and comments. YES it does appear that when they took out the molds for the reissue they used the American Graffiti kit. Strange since I'm sure they have the original sitting somewhere...it was last reissued in 1998...I guess someone at the plant wasn't looking closely to notice the difference. Now I have to decide what to do...take the build apart and use the original body from the older kit or leave it the way that it is and be inaccurate? 

Hey, as for those Moroso head covers...boy I wish I could help you out...they were just sitting in my parts box for years and I have no idea where they came from...sorry.

23 hours ago, gasser59 said:

Jerry - I have an extra original Ramchargers body I will donate to your project, just pay shipping, if that interests you.

Let me know.

I appreciate the offer...I actually have two of the older kits in the collection...I just need to decide if I want to build a whole new proper body/chassis assembly or to try and remove the rear body panels that I've already glued together without wrecking the chassis. Delicate work.

FINAL UPDATE!

Got an email from Round 2 regarding this issue and while they were unable to provide an answer as to WHY the bodies were switched for this most recent reissue, I was told they would ensure going back to the original body in any future reissue. That's something I guess.