Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sixties Dodge Power Wagon resin ever produced? For USFS tanker

W Humble

Has anyone ever produced an early 'sixties Dodge Power Wagon 4X4 3/4-ton pickup?  I would really like to build a replica of the USFS fire tanker Class III that my crew manned in 1968 as sort of a memorial to we 'very old school' fire eaters in N CA.  It had a small water tank/pump and live-reel (seems like 50-70-gallons, Utility side boxes, Motorola radio and that's about it!  I was foreman on Tanker 333, Modoc Nat'l. Forest, South Fork District (no longer exists, of course) the last season before I got drafted in early '69.  I had been foreman and tank-truck operator on class II tankers, but this season I got the 4X4.  I don't think it would be too hard a build, if one were sourced.  Wick

IIRC, the years you are looking for is actually a Dodge pickup but was referred to as a Power Wagon because it was a 4x4, correct? If so, Ron has several different years (64, 65, 69, 70) that he offers a resin cab and bed kit as I just ordered a 69 from him. The chassis is up to you to build/source and depending on how accurate you want to be, it will either be easy or a bit more difficult. Perhaps if you shared a picture of what you are wanting to build we could be more helpful.

If you search on this forum for builder Chariots of Fire, you will see an awesome 60's Dodge Power Wagon that Charles Rowley built, mostly from scratch, and he showed many work in progress pictures of his work.

• Like 1

Correct, I guess; Dodge owned the trademark, so they could call anything a Power Wagon by the 'sixties.  4X4 with 318 V-8, granny four-speed and transfer case, etc.  It was the only one on our Forest, with naturally a small crew -- myself and three, one of which was usually on weekend. Good wheeler, but not great.  If you were building it, what kit would you look for to supply the underpinnings?  I can fake the A-block, etc.  Have no photos, darnit.

Well, I can't figure out why my search for 'Dodge pickup' didn't find it.  It looked like most of his bodies were 'sold out'.  What did you search on Rons site?

Alan is correct- he shows stuff out of stock as he casts to order, typically takes 2-3 weeks to get a kit once you place your order.

I would Google o0's Dodge trucks and see which one looks like the one you drove. Mostly grille changes from 60-72 IIRC. Ron offers a few different years so hopefully he has something you can use. The chassis is up to you- either scratchbuild or adapt one that looks close.

Ron is quick to respond to email so be sure to contact him with questions.

On a side note to the Google Advice. Try Looking up old pics of Cal Fire Brush Trucks to see if you might be able to find a photo of something that is even close to your Rig, or style of rig. 

Share a couple photos with us, and we can help pin down year/model and what parts you might need.

There are a few useful pics here. See if anything looks familiar.

https://www.allpar.com/threads/dodge-d-series-pickups-1961-1971.228867/

and here.

https://www.pinterest.com/shorthairgent/pickup-trucks-1963-1971/

Alan, thanks!  Def the D-series, with four headlights, LWB, and 4WD. oc.  Alas, I have NO photos of me or my trucks; lost forever!  This PW was a 'late model' in 1968, but had been the go-to Class III tanker at Parsnip Springs Fire Station (long gone) since new; I got the foreman job there in my last year but it was a demotion:  I'd had a '64 2-T Dodge Class II 'slip-on' 300-gallon unit the two seasons previous as Crew Boss (Red Card) on the South Fork District (also long gone) in Alturas, CA.  Five season, total, then the draft!  Very typical story in US in the 'sixties.

This was forty-ish years before 'Cal Fire'.  We were federal FS, but CA and federal BLM stations were also nearby.  OC, we always wanted to prove we were the best... ! 

After nearly 60 years, I visited my first station, Hilton Spike Camp (same Modoc N.F., same district) yesterday; it's a ghost station!  Same wooden frame buildings originally put up by a logging company (there was a railroad spur in that part of the woods too!) but deserted and badly vandalized -- of course.  Glad to take one last look, but it was sad in a nostalgic way.  Beautiful setting in canyon at about 6K-ft., almost like a vacation camp.  But all falling into ruin now. New Cal Fire station 5 miles away.   We had a '56 Chevy Class II and a foreman's pickup; nine man crew, many long gone now.  >Sniff!<

I'd heard about the MH resin; yes, that's the body!  I'd need a tip or two about a 4X4 chasis, oc.  And where to search for one!  The USFS equipment, c 1962 wasn't elaborate: tank, pump and live-reel, and hand-tools.  The wheels were tall and skinny, 3/4 ton.  Thanks!!

Well, now you have a place to start.

The rest is out there, just have to find it.

On 7/27/2022 at 4:59 PM, mikemodeler said:

If you search on this forum for builder Chariots of Fire, you will see an awesome 60's Dodge Power Wagon that Charles Rowley built, mostly from scratch, and he showed many work in progress pictures of his work.

What Mike Said. Chariot's Dodge Truck build is the Gold Standard of Firetruck builds. He can probably help you find stuff. I think at one time, there was somebody selling authorized copies resin of his scratch built Dodge Truck Cab.

a little over two weeks ago I ordered a 1969 Dodge short bed pickup from Ron Andrews at RMR and it arrived today. Looks accurate and like most resin, a little clean up will be necessary before painting. $75 includes shipping and the old MPC 78 Dodge LRE chassis is a perfect fit as a donor. Includes interior, bumpers and grille, resin lights and a vacuum formed windshield.

IMG_6022.jpg

IMG_6023.jpg

m.m.:

Well, if I shine-on the long-bed aspect (authenticity; who's left to call me on it?!), changed the grille to the quad-lite version, and a few details; this could work!

Clue as to cost?  $__________

As my question again: what do you recommend for a donor chassis, etc.  Our tanker was strictly GSA/no frills, so tall, skinny M&S bias-ply tires were the fitment, on steelies painted body color.

Another question: a recommendation on paint: Green_____________brand________________.  I can fake the gray for the roof!  White USFS shields and 'For Official Use Only' decals available anywhere?

I'll leave the minimal fire equipment for when it's in progress!  Thanks!  Wick