Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 Retro Box Art. Yes or No?

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Speaking of “retro box art.” Below is is example of a kit where I think the old, original box art was better than the new. The much hated (though not by me) Revell/Atlantis Jungle Jim Camaro Funny Car. I feel the original box art was much more appealing. Though neither cover gives you a true idea of what’s in the box. 

0CC7ADBB-6E42-4C41-B70B-C947F95B0697.jpeg

DAD06AF3-B5EA-4612-A559-F23B0BA54D45.jpeg

It should be noted, one problem with the Atlantis reissue of their Jungle Jim Camaro kit, is no where on the box does it actually show you what’s in the box. On the original Revell box they at least showed a built ups of the kit on a side panels. And on the bottom of Round 2’s boxes they show you what’s in the box. Luckily I knew what I was buying, before  purchasing Atlantis’ Jungle Jim Camaro. I’m sure there are going to be a few people who will be surprised and disappointed when they open their kit and see it looks very little like the photos on box. 

C8E1C3A1-AD4F-44E0-9089-70985D49F148.jpeg

23D893D2-0534-4875-B432-6F2DB28AB003.jpeg

Edited by unclescott58

7 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

I have a Hasegawa box like that for their then new 250 Testa Rossa. I interesting idea but I think the plastic to paper glue joint proved to be a weak point.

Ferrari 348 tb, Hasegawa 20230 (2006)

These boxes and agreed, wasn't a particular fan of them myself either. Hasegawa generally is pretty good with their boxart though either with nice straightforward images of the subject or historical photographs of the subject in competition.

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

It should be noted, one problem with the Atlantis reissue of their Jungle Jim Camaro kit, is no where on the box does it actually show you what’s in the box. On the original Revell box they at least showed a built ups of the kit on a side panel. And on the bottom of Round 2’s boxes they show you what’s in the box. Luckily I knew what I was buying, before  purchasing Atlantis’ Jungle Jim Camaro. I’m sure there are going to be a few people who will be surprised and disappointed when they open their kit and see it looks very little like the photos on box. 

Great points, but in today's day and age, in most cases, there's no excuse for not knowing what's in the box - even if you've never had or seen a  kit before.

Great point about "I knew what I was buying" - If I've never seen a kit, before I buy it I do an extensive internet search for pictures and reviews.  Boards like this are an excellent resource to seek out reviews and opinions.  Someone has or had a version.  Someone has built or attempted to build a version.  

No doubt there will be people that are surprised and possibly disappointed when they open the box but a little homework beforehand could prevent that.

Edited by showrods
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

Ferrari 348 tb, Hasegawa 20230 (2006)

These boxes and agreed, wasn't a particular fan of them myself either. Hasegawa generally is pretty good with their boxart though either with nice straightforward images of the subject or historical photographs of the subject in competition.

I don't believe those boxes extended beyond their Ferrari line of reissues in 2006/2007.

10 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

...You can print all sorts of notes and disclaimers on a box, and there will still be people who will be caught by surprise...

Yup. There's always that guy who can't reason out that you really shouldn't turn the mower upside down when it's running and grab the blade, and even though that is clearly printed on a label on the machine, he does it anyway.

• Haha 1

box art has never been a selling point for me  i know what i want have researched who makes that kit when the kit was first tooled and what is included  so the box could be a plain old white cube with (insert a car model here) scribbled on it

• Like 1

Boxart Handley Page HP.42 Heracles A03172V Airfix

I'm not at all opposed to vintage kits getting reissued for the folks who want them but I think Airfix has the right idea. This kit, for instance, was originally tooled in 1965. Airfix recognizes that as a scale miniature it's obsolete product that would get positively savaged in popular opinion which only sours the discourse and alienates potential customers about brand new (and excellent) kits like their 1/48th Supermarine Walrus. Helpfully, they specifically cite ALL of their old tooling kits with the "Vintage Classics" logo and their website sequesters the "Vintage Classics" all into their own section for purchase. 

Awesome topic.

Skimming through, doesn't seem as though anyone has mentioned Lindberg's 1948 Lincoln, which came out in the late 90s or early 00s.

In the 90s, Lindberg came back from the grave, and despite lackluster box art, created some truly amazing kits.

Their box art typically featured a single photograph of a real vehicle, which was repeated on all sides.

IIRC, they did not use photos of real models, and did not include any other views. Not of the rear, the engine, chassis, interior, or anything.

We just had to go on faith, and judge by the photo, and the subject matter.

After an onslaught of amazing all-new kits, Lindberg was riding the crest of the wave, and could do no wrong.

They'd earned our trust by making hit after hit after hit.

That all changed when they [REDACTED] the bed on the 48 Lincoln.

I was looking forward to this thing, picked it up, opened it, and was horrified to discover it was a total piece of BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH.

Turns out, it was an old Pyro.

In the past, box art has influenced many of my purchase decisions.

Thought not so much these days, as HPI Guy breaks down pretty much everything on the market.

If anything, his reviews make me want to buy everything, regardless of the box art.

15 minutes ago, Stef said:

Awesome topic.

Skimming through, doesn't seem as though anyone has mentioned Lindberg's 1948 Lincoln, which came out in the late 90s or early 00s.

In the 90s, Lindberg came back from the grave, and despite lackluster box art, created some truly amazing kits.

Their box art typically featured a single photograph of a real vehicle, which was repeated on all sides.

IIRC, they did not use photos of real models, and did not include any other views. Not of the rear, the engine, chassis, interior, or anything.

We just had to go on faith, and judge by the photo, and the subject matter.

After an onslaught of amazing all-new kits, Lindberg was riding the crest of the wave, and could do no wrong.

They'd earned our trust by making hit after hit after hit.

That all changed when they [REDACTED] the bed on the 48 Lincoln.

I was looking forward to this thing, picked it up, opened it, and was horrified to discover it was a total piece of BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH.

Turns out, it was an old Pyro.

In the past, box art has influenced many of my purchase decisions.

Thought not so much these days, as HPI Guy breaks down pretty much everything on the market.

If anything, his reviews make me want to buy everything, regardless of the box art.

The old Pyro Lincoln with a little work…. Okay a lot of work can actually look pretty good in the end. I still have not finished mine. But, below is a photo of someone else’s build I found online to keep me inspired. Someday, I’ll have to get around and finish mine. 

A043B4A2-8C97-48C4-8F37-A3385ADA22D7.jpeg

67E2C7D8-F289-4458-BEC8-4FC4FBE38534.jpeg

Edited by unclescott58
  • Like 1

Okay, below are photos of box art variations for the same Revell kit. You tell me which one would get you to buy? I know which one got me to part with my money back in the day. And despite what you think, it was not the first one. I would love to have that kit in that first box. Which is how it was release it’s first outing. But, by the time I was ready to buy, the second variation as on the shelves. I still want the one in the first box. I keep hoping Atlantis will someday fulfill that dream.

E42FB8D8-7A7F-4A3F-B045-B2E0E5932791.jpeg

C8B87D6A-CA02-4E1E-9644-F7F860F2A9EC.jpeg

2EF7E05D-4C0C-4C4B-A59F-72811847878F.jpeg

9C624D0B-FD58-4A30-9ECF-1B88C9AFDD65.webp

Edited by unclescott58
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yup. There's always that guy who can't reason out that you really shouldn't turn the mower upside down when it's running and grab the blade, and even though that is clearly printed on a label on the machine, he does it anyway.

And has a lawyer on retainer to sue the mower manufacturer.  :(

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Okay, below are photos of box art variations for the same ('57 Nomad) Revell kit. You tell me which one would get you to buy? 

Funny thing for the folks who want a photo of the actual model on the box...most of the warts that kit has are readily apparent in the "built" photos, but unless you've ever actually tried to make a nice model out of it, you just can't imagine the magnitude of the struggle from the photos alone.

• Like 1

Yes, Lindberg did make some really nice kits in the '90s, and I passed on them at the time, because the only clue as to what was in the box was the Lindberg name, and I had bought enough Lindberg kits in the past to form an opinion on what to expect.  That Round 2 has chosen to rebox some of their Lindberg kits under the AMT brand shows that rep hasn't gone away, and they know it. You have some rumbling about the current state of AMT kits, and some of them are great, but if you have no way of telling from the outside which are the good ones, how many times are you going to plunk down close to $30 US (close to $50 up here) and end up with a lemon before you decide it's not worth playing the game?

Full-circle on at least one one-time/long-time Lindberg labelled kit: 1934 Ford Pickup
For absolutely years I'd passed on that kit because of the 'Lindberg' association... my mistake! 
In relatively recent year (+/- last 12 years) someone on this forum provided an exhibition of the:
- Original, c.1962 issue AMT version
- More common Lindberg- labelled version (sold to Lindberg in the 1970's, perhaps?)
- 1967/1968 reissue of the AMT version (Hillbilly Hauler
It was the latter which piqued my interest as I'd seen an auction for one -the 'psychedelic' 'pop art' "Hillbilly" version - on eBay. I was flustered that I was "sniped" at the last minute (bidding ended when I was at work).
Then someone mentioned the then-currently-labelled Lindberg '34 Ford is, other than tyres and (ugly) 80's custom wheels, the exact same kit as the Hillbilly Hauler. sans the psychedelic 'diorama'. 

3 hours ago, Motor City said:

Maybe Revell Moebius will decide to tool an all-new body?

If you're talking about the '57 Nomad, Moebius has nothing to do with it it's Atlantis that's announced they are going to rerelease it among a ton (or two) kits that they purchased the tooling and rights from Revell.

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Full-circle on at least one one-time/long-time Lindberg labelled kit: 1934 Ford Pickup
For absolutely years I'd passed on that kit because of the 'Lindberg' association... my mistake! 
In relatively recent year (+/- last 12 years) someone on this forum provided an exhibition of the:
- Original, c.1962 issue AMT version
- More common Lindberg- labelled version (sold to Lindberg in the 1970's, perhaps?)
- 1967/1968 reissue of the AMT version (Hillbilly Hauler
It was the latter which piqued my interest as I'd seen an auction for one -the 'psychedelic' 'pop art' "Hillbilly" version - on eBay. I was flustered that I was "sniped" at the last minute (bidding ended when I was at work).
Then someone mentioned the then-currently-labelled Lindberg '34 Ford is, other than tyres and (ugly) 80's custom wheels, the exact same kit as the Hillbilly Hauler. sans the psychedelic 'diorama'. 

AMT didn't sell the 34 Pickup tool to Lindberg. It was left behind at the tool shop in Windsor during the sale of AMT to Lesney (Matchbox). After George Toteff purchased Lindberg in the 1990s, he was at that tool shop and recognized the tool. So he bought it, and added it to the Lindberg catalog. 

7 hours ago, horsepower said:

If you're talking about the '57 Nomad, Moebius has nothing to do with it it's Atlantis that's announced they are going to rerelease it among a ton (or two) kits that they purchased the tooling and rights from Revell.

Geez... sorry I meant to say Atlantis and not Moebius!

8 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

AMT didn't sell the 34 Pickup tool to Lindberg. It was left behind at the tool shop in Windsor during the sale of AMT to Lesney (Matchbox). After George Toteff purchased Lindberg in the 1990s, he was at that tool shop and recognized the tool. So he bought it, and added it to the Lindberg catalog. 

Thanks for the clarification & new-to-me information. 
I'd figured that the '34 Pickup tooling was 'transferred' or whatever during the Matchbox et al. sale, but wasn't clear on the how. 

1 hour ago, Motor City said:

just speculation on my part; Atlantis recently announced that the '57 Nomad release would be delayed 

They're probably fixing the post breaking issues caused by the ejecting part of the molding cycle, but that's also just speculating ;)

Cheers

Luc

1 hour ago, Motor City said:

just speculation on my part; Atlantis recently announced that the '57 Nomad release would be delayed 

Yea, I’m sure its taking a bit to fix that one up. As the years went by, the molds for that one got a little ruff. Plus, the kit was not the best in the first place. It would be nice if somebody did a totally new ‘57 Nomad. As there are problems with both the 1/25 scale Revell and 1/24 scale Monogram ‘57 Nomads. But, at the same time, I will buy the old Revell Nomad as soon as it becomes available. Mainly for  nostalgia reasons. That’s why I hope it comes in a variation of the original box art too. 

Back to the original topic, regarding Round 2's retro box art---it's obviously working for them, considering how they keep reissuing the same kits w/ new 'retro box art'...like the '58 Chevy--it's had at least two different retro box art reissues..same w/ the '62 Corvette and others.  I'm not a marketing person, but it seems to me whatever they are doing works.

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1