Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project 1/16th AA/FA AND HERE IT IS!

7 hours ago, misterNNL said:

That long lean dragster frame looks mighty tasty.

Yes it does but I think I have to order a few parts before I can make significant progress on it, than and I built the Royal Canadian with a brass chassis after I started this.  I still have the jigs for the chassis and they are suitable to redo this in brass instead.  Wheels and tires are also high on the list of needs and being a mid 80s car both the front and rear wheels differ significantly from what it readily available. We will see.

• Ian McLaren changed the title to New Project AA/FA
  • Ian McLaren changed the title to New Project 1/16th AA/FA

After looking at the above for a while the plan has evolved in another direction.  Extent the frame, shorten the wheelbase, relocate the rad/fuel tank and fab a nose piece. Also put the correct engine in with the 14-71 and fabricated the two wall headers.  Thinking the nose may be a little too long.

IMG_0012.JPG

Edited by Ian McLaren
  • Like 1

I took 4 Scale inches off the nose and now the balance seems better , at least to me.  Also playing with a more subtle rear fender/ body extension.  Not sure I'm liking the spoiler / kick up on either the pick up bed or rear body upper corners.IMG_0019.JPG.7e5339e898d4f8b669b57b3daf6301cd.JPG

• Like 1

I guess I should explain the some what unusual series of posts on this build.  I'm trying to show my process for a clean sheet phantom build from the beginning.  I am including all of the steps and miss steps in the process.  Once the design is more of less finalized I'll  revert to a more conventional style of posting.  I hope you hang in there with me and perhaps pick up at least some things to consider when you strike out on the uncharted path.  Case in point some changes to the body itself, removing the two rear spoilers. Things to consider, while removing the items may enhance the retro feel of the model they are going to drastically affect the aerodynamics and downforce of the car, so to be functionally  correct that will have to be replaced.  More on that later.IMG_0027.JPG.9dc3cc7f7d981f17cc36ce1360c64939.JPG

Edited by Ian McLaren
  • Like 1

• Ian McLaren changed the title to Project 1/16th AA/FA

Earlier we removed the spoilers from the basic body and noted something would have to be done to restore functionality.  Here is that something, I have scratch build a two element rear wing which should be more than enough to balance the design.  Fairly low tech wing 18 degrees AoA on the main element for starters, Seven degrees on the second ( should probably have more but I'm bowing to esthetics here as I like this look).  I also talked about steps and missteps and this change is probably going to bring some of those up shortly.   Note*** the wing is not mounted to the model here just balancing on the pickup bed on to of a paint mixing plastic cup.IMG_0043.JPG.dae2e44857dcce48ebfa9271fdc209ba.JPG

• Like 1

Now we get into some of the missteps, the wing design is ok but due to the style of it, the mounting has to go to the frame as a body mount would (1) likely would not be strong enough (2) would not provide a path directly to the rear end for the downforce provided (3) The mounts for the body to frame probably would not stand up as either.  For servicing the car the body must be either easily removed or capable of being raised.  So, step one hinge the body, no problem, until the engine is in and the running boards hit the valve covers.  Shorten the running boards back to the front of the body, great.    Now to designing a chassis mount for the wing, but if the body tilts, the back of the tub hits the uprights. Solutions:  Cut the back of the tub awayI've seen this on a couple of fuel altereds not really a big fan.  Design a quick disconnect for the struts and remove the wing between rounds, simple and works but one more job for the crew between rounds.   Hinge the main uprights to allow them to swing rearward to clear the body  and have the forward stabilizer struts removable to allow the swing but also to lock the wing assembly in place during operations. Don't really have an answer but I know that I really don't want to remove part of the body.

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

• Like 1

Still deciding on the wing mounting choice but here it where is stands right  now with the wing temporarily mounted but in what I think will the final position and other additions. Rear pickup bed opened up and fitted with a steel cover that is held in place with three rare earth magnets as is the nose and canards.  Also shown frame close out panels first attempt in plastic, to be replace by the final aluminum units once all of the attachments and brackets are in place and final body and nose positions have been finalized.  The front suspension system I had first installed created clearance issues with fire systems steering and main fuel line to the engine.  Redone setup also regains some of the original wheel base now at 110 inches.

IMG_0053 (1).JPG

Thank you very much Tim.  As of late I've been building replicas of real cars, some were just close approximations and the last couple quite representative of the prototype.  That means everything had a place and a design.  Once you step away from that to a clean sheet design you have to take into account the same things a full size builder deals with if the result is to be believable if not accurate.   I'm now realizing that this process is starting to take on a life of its own and this project is in danger of becoming a much more involved model than I first intended. (Refer back to one of my previous comments on your thread. LOL) Not necessarily a bad thing, just not what I had in mind. Oh well, onward.

• Ian McLaren changed the title to Project 1/16th AA/FA Chassis Tin -- Wing tilt Mechanism
  • Ian McLaren changed the title to Project 1/16th AA/FA AND HERE IT IS!