Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project 1/16th AA/FA AND HERE IT IS!

5 hours ago, Chris Smith said:

I really like your thought process. I’m sure what ever changing evolution your design is, it will be amazing.

Thank you Chris, I just wanted to show my process for a clean sheet design racecar that is believable but not a replica of an actual car.

All of the major decisions have been made(with the exception of the rear end, I'm not a quick change fan)  perhaps a 9 inch fabricated housing if I can get one in time.  The design phase is over, now to turn this styling exercise into a believable AA/FA. Even the paint scheme is on paper (very 70s / 80s).  Single point wheelie bar and full electronics suite

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

4 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I have to say--I prefer the dragster headers. It looks great, either way, though!

On a full side view the dragster headers really suit the car.  From other angles there seems to be too much empty space between the tires. It's sitting one my desk right now while I'm building some of the sub assemblies. with the 417 and zoomies in place to get use to seeing it that way.  They may win out in the long run.  Thanks for the input!

5 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

On a full side view the dragster headers really suit the car.  From other angles there seems to be too much empty space between the tires. It's sitting one my desk right now while I'm building some of the sub assemblies. with the 417 and zoomies in place to get use to seeing it that way.  They may win out in the long run.  Thanks for the input!

That's one nice thing about altereds! You can go either way. I can see your point about them maybe not filling enough space, from certain angles, but they look really great, in the profile views!

This is going to be an awesome build!  I really like the look of the canards on the front.  I agree with Daniel, I think the dragster headers look better, I like that they are tucked up closer to the body.  Either way it looks fantastic!

3 hours ago, GoatGuy said:

This looks great!!. I'm looking forward to the graphics/paint scheme. Question - would the dragster headers be more aerodynamic?

I'm not sure what the difference to the aerodynamics would be from the header shape, but the dragster style would certainly produce more downforce thrust. I think my issue with these dragster headers is mostly the design of them.  I may build a set of dragster style headers along the lines of the ones I built for the Royal Canadian out of brass tube.

• Like 1

A couple to thing happened in the past couple of days, firstly I stumbled on a K&S product I was not aware of. A package of telescoping aluminum tubes part # 3403 with 7 different sizes (photo below) which inspired me to finally attempt to scratch build a MSD Pro-Mag 44 for this project.  I also built the offset drive for the 426 Hemi I'm using

IMG_0003[1].JPG

IMG_0004[1].JPG

IMG_0012[2].JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kelly Burns said:

Inspiring build!  Where did you get the blower case, injectors and hat your using?

Thank you Kelly glad you like it, there lots more to come.  The 14-71 came from Ted's Modeling Marketplace,  the hat came from Competition Resins,  and the injector lines are out of the Atlantis Green Elephant kit, but may very well be replaced with stainless lines and brass fittings further down the road.

Sorry I'm late to the party Ian but you have a very cool project going on here !

All the adjustments or changes in direction you have made since the beginning show the amount of work required to create a custom or non-existent model.

Great work as usual, you only motivate me more before my new modeling season starts... 😁

22 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Sorry I'm late to the party Ian but you have a very cool project going on here !

All the adjustments or changes in direction you have made since the beginning show the amount of work required to create a custom or non-existent model.

Great work as usual, you only motivate me more before my new modeling season starts... 😁

It's  good to hear from you Francis!  Yes this project has had its share of changes a lot of which I would not normally show but I thought it might be of some interest to show how these things evolve.  It started as a quick basic shelf filler but it has now taken on a life of its own and kind of captured my imagination.   I'm still not completely sure where it is going but I am enjoying the ride.  Thanks for the kind words and I am looking forward to seeing you back on the bench.

• Ian McLaren changed the title to Project 1/16th AA/FA Chassis Tin -- Wing tilt Mechanism
  • Ian McLaren changed the title to Project 1/16th AA/FA AND HERE IT IS!