Model Cars Magazine Forum

When will Revell 07708 - 427 Cobra - hit the USA?

Hi,

I've read where Revell's kit 07708 - Ford Shelby 427 Cobra - was due in the US this month.  While it currently is available in Europe, there is none readily available here.  I have no clue, but suspect there are either some containers en-route or the production is delayed.  Does anyone have the scoop on this?

Also, is this kit worth waiting for - i.e. is there an existing 427 Cobra kit that is as good or better?

Thanks for your time - and help!

Mobilman44

Monogram makes a couple excellent kits in street and race versions. 

The Revell Germany kit is just another version of the Monogram kit, I just compared the instruction sheet for both on line. Same kit with small variations. 

https://www.alanshobbysite.co.uk/shelby-cobra/

https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=56646#image1

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 2

Thank you Can-Con!

I honestly expected a flood of comments on this thread, given that the Shelby Cobra was so cool - and mean sounding - when they came out.  I recall seeing a 289 and a 427 in the showroom window of a dealership on the NW side of Chicago back in the summer of '66 or '67.  To the best of my recall, one had a sticker price of $6,600.   

On 8/2/2022 at 6:05 AM, Bill Anderson said:

Thank you Can-Con!

I honestly expected a flood of comments on this thread, given that the Shelby Cobra was so cool - and mean sounding - when they came out.  I recall seeing a 289 and a 427 in the showroom window of a dealership on the NW side of Chicago back in the summer of '66 or '67.  To the best of my recall, one had a sticker price of $6,600.   

It is a good kit that has been released in a few different variations but it is still basically the same as I built over 30 years ago.

A1B68922-AAD3-4B3B-A319-4E245A1E608D.jpeg

21E1CE54-5687-4E7C-AE22-FA48066B7D16.jpeg

68CA4910-881B-4B0B-931F-63AEDA2D47A9.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Bill Anderson said:

Oh man, that is one beautiful model !!! 

My plan for the paint job (as I have the paints) is Testor's "star spangled blue" or "gloss dark red"

Exactly which particular kit did that come from?

Great work!

Thanks for sharing!

Pretty sure it was the very first Monogram version as I would not tried to paint blue over red plastic.

78EB4A89-1ECE-41D4-AE7F-F7FF6A365B68.jpeg

3 hours ago, Bill Anderson said:

Forgot to ask this question in my original post.......

Previous Monogram kits are rated at a level 2.  This new one is rated at a level 4.  Why would that be?

They must have decided Level 2 did not reflect the correct level.  However, perhaps if there were phone etch parts it might earn a level 4.  It’s probably more like level 3.  On a side note the Gulf scheme just does not do anything fro me on a Cobra.  A GT40 or Porsche is fine but it was never used on a Cobra to my knowledge.

On 8/3/2022 at 3:16 AM, Bill Anderson said:

Yup, that's the one!!!

I see you are in Canada.  And they are all over Europe, but still waiting for US deliveries.

So what do you think of the kit?  

Thanks for sharing,

Bill

It's just the old Monogram kit with new decals , I did buy this one from a guy in the states New Mexico off E Bay so they are there just have to look ! and the only reason I bought it was I love the Gulf livery .

11 hours ago, Bill Anderson said:

Previous Monogram kits are rated at a level 2.  This new one is rated at a level 4.  Why would that be?

Because when they redid the Skill Levels from 3 to 5 it made Level 2 the default level for SnapTites. Level 1 is now the 9-14 part Build n Plays. Level 3 are the Pre-Painted kits. Level 4 is Glue Kits under 125 parts, Level 5 is glue kits over 125 parts.

11 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Because when they redid the Skill Levels from 3 to 5 it made Level 2 the default level for SnapTites. Level 1 is now the 9-14 part Build n Plays. Level 3 are the Pre-Painted kits. Level 4 is Glue Kits under 125 parts, Level 5 is glue kits over 125 parts.

I doubt the average person looking at the level number would know. 😉

The only complaint I have is that later in the 427's competition history, the fenders were widened to a "Kardashian" level extent. 

BrLGwpA.jpg

I've not found a way to duplicate that.  And forget the Fujimi version-it was based on a Japan-based kit car with all kinds of wonky dimensions.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 11:54 AM, Bill Anderson said:

Bill, at best forget those level ratings from Revell Germany - I would rate this one between 2 and 3 (I built the very first Monogram issue in 1988) - don't know how they come to the conclusion that this one must be level 4 with 94 parts whereas their new E-type roadster with 149 parts is rated level 3 ! (I just started a new topic on this in the Model building questions and answers section)

Edited by 1959scudetto
  • Like 1

Ha, the explanation of the rating system makes sense of things (for me).

The one site originally said this new (?) version would hit our shores in July.  The other day I noticed that "July" was replaced with a question mark.  

Well, I've in the middle of a '67 Shelby GT350 build, and have a Dodge Charger and the fancy Ford GT waiting for my attention.  So I will work on them first and hold off on the Cobra decision for now.  The one with the "metal flake" blue plastic sure looks good, but I'm leaning towards a regular white plastic (at this time).

I really appreciate all your help, and the pics of your builds are really inspiring!

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again,

I've come to the point where I'm ditching my quest for the Revell 07708 kit.  For me, it just doesn't seem to be worth the wait and I'm not ordering one from overseas.

So, my question is....... What is the "best" 427 Cobra kit that has a full windscreen, representative of a "street" Cobra, and made in white plastic?

Sorry to be so anal about this........but I guess that trait is pretty common amongst us modelers.