Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jaguar XKE roadster

Rich Chernosky

They say the second time is the charm and this is my second visit to this kit although this time it is the roadster. The coupe was previously featured here. Color on this is Tamiya LP33 Gray green with Lp49 pearl clear added. Then further coated with L33 Pearl and followed by a couple coats of the clear (LP9) I am really liking this line by Tamiya...it airbrushes very well. Interior is also The Tamiya LP line....LP75 Buff and LP 59 Nato Brown.  This build went very well as i was able to take care of issues that I learned from the first build.  More details in the captions...thanks for looking. 

DSC07720.JPG.d5250a8b8dd66249f8ff67627ecd9a8a.JPG

Detailed veiw of the engine without the hood on. Most of the detail  except the wiring, were included in the kit. There were a lot of tiny decals.

DSC07722.JPG.9d6143a087fd6fbec46840723a05cffb.JPG

Other side of the engine, note the half full window washer and a good view of the triple Solex carbs.  I tried to use a lot of different metallics and some shading to give it more interest. 

DSC07724.JPG.da1ef050d1f80f69ef639645296cfb9d.JPG

I went with woodgrain on the dash and made a few other changes to the interiior.  There is a very small decal on the shift knob for the pattern.  I went out of my way to make sure it was correct. Too bad the photo is so blurry. 

DSC07726.JPG.6ac8ae8dc660bdedcafe98c5fdae636b.JPGDon't usually show off the chassis but there was so much good detail it would have been a shame not to show it.  It all fit very well

DSC07727.JPG.034f7948d13eb734767c29e34577be6d.JPGUsed my fall background for this shot of the completed car.

DSC07728.JPG.072e14cbe30dfbe88ab7fbd44b30f3b9.JPG

rear veiw shows off the classic lines of the E-type. Many consider this car one of the most beautiful ever made. I might agree. 

DSC07729.JPG.778fde25de4f6a007467cab6e198b10a.JPG

Side veiw shows the lines too. 

DSC07731.JPG.de4604d7290536b01621b733d8789c78.JPG

Both builds together.  Went out of my way to paint them the same. It took two tries on the roadster.

DSC07733.JPG.941d52b79826d781733498966b16429a.JPG

Side veiw again. Revell included this very nice soft top although I doubt I will display it this way. Just seems to ruin the lines of the car. This photo also shows the pearlescent nature of the paint.  I enjoyed this build very much and quite like the results. A great kit..Revell has really stepped up to the plate on this one. 

• Like 2

Beautiful looking paint finish and color. I can see what you mean about the small decal details included in the kit. This really adds to the chassis and engine detailing. Interior and chassis both look great. 

Very nice roadster, Rich - it even looks quite good with the softtop. The photo from the underside is outstanding ( exhaust pipes alone have a lot of details!)

Though I have the Gunze roadster, the Airfix (Heller) Coupe and both Franklin Mints, I'm gonna get me one of these - it is a must have now for me.

7 hours ago, thebavarian said:

I like this car. Very nice built and color. I think I will buy the roadster soon.

Thomas...I think you will like this kit very much.  I had to make two notches in the hood subframe to clear the engine subframe on both of mine.  Only thing wrong that I could see. 

6 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking paint finish and color. I can see what you mean about the small decal details included in the kit. This really adds to the chassis and engine detailing. Interior and chassis both look great. 

Thank you David, I thought so too. 

5 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Thanks

5 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Very nice roadster, Rich - it even looks quite good with the softtop. The photo from the underside is outstanding ( exhaust pipes alone have a lot of details!)

Though I have the Gunze roadster, the Airfix (Heller) Coupe and both Franklin Mints, I'm gonna get me one of these - it is a must have now for me.

Thank you for the kind words Helmut. Your Jag collection rivals mine. I have build notes if you decide to get one. Its a nice kit and you will enjoy it. 

4 hours ago, Street Rod said:

Very nice!

Thanks

4 hours ago, grodudulle77 said:

Nice build !! 👍😀

Thanks

4 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Very nice.

Thank you

3 hours ago, mrm said:

Really nice. I am amazed at the results you got out of the kit's wheels. 

No problem there. Just sprayed em semi black and rubbed the paint off with a q-tip.  Wheels are not glued on of either of my builds. If I ever come across some suitable replacements I will change them.  

2 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Superb build Rich.  The attention to detail really make it special.  The photos look really nice too.

Thank you Gary...I keep playing with the settings and lighting.  I'm getting there.  I have a new background for the race cars...It will be cool. 

2 hours ago, Kah puts said:

Uber nice. 

Thanks

2 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Very nice work on this kit, looks nicely realistic. What a beauty!

I appreciate the praise, thanks. 

Both your Jaguars look beautiful Rich! Love the photos!

I’ve always been more inclined to favour the looks of the coupe over the roadster so it’s appreciated that you included a photo with both. I recently acquired the Ferrari 250 GTO kit and would love to get one of the E-type to display side by side. Even Enso Ferrari himself admitted the E-type Jag was one of the most beautiful cars ever made!

Cheers,    
Wolf

12 hours ago, Wolf said:

Both your Jaguars look beautiful Rich! Love the photos!

I’ve always been more inclined to favour the looks of the coupe over the roadster so it’s appreciated that you included a photo with both. I recently acquired the Ferrari 250 GTO kit and would love to get one of the E-type to display side by side. Even Enso Ferrari himself admitted the E-type Jag was one of the most beautiful cars ever made!

Cheers,    
Wolf

Wolf...I just happen to have both of  the Gunze  kits  finished.  Is your GTO the hi-tech kit or some other brand besides Gunze.  Both of these are.  These were finished quite some time ago. The Jag was always one of my favorite build although I think now I should change the wheels to something more correct. Both are great kits and if you can find the Hi-tech Jag kit it would be worth your while. 

DSC07735.JPG

DSC07736.JPG

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Wow! Beautiful work, and photography!

Thanks, the photography is a work in progress. 

13 hours ago, Bainford said:

Beautiful Jag, Rich. The coupe and roadster look great as a matched set. Very nice work.

Thanks Trevor....both were fun builds and a welcome addition to my Jaguar section. 

8 hours ago, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

Great color selection. It looks like the factory color called "Willow" by Jaguar. Have fun looking up pictures of that color on the Jaguar sites.

I just aquired the entire Tamiya LP bottle laquer line  and thought this color appropriate. The base was a flat so I added some pearl to shine it up some and then clear coated it. The inspiration for the color was a 1/64 Matchbox I had.  

lo

5 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

Thanks

5 hours ago, 70 Sting said:

You’ve done a fantastic job on this kit. By your description and results I would have thought it was a Tamiya kit.

Not quite a Tamiya, Harry, but Revell is getting there.   Thanks for the compliment.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply.

The 250 GTO kit I have is the basic Fujimi kit. I have the Historic Racing Miniatures engine set coming as well as the HD Borrani wheels. I’d like to get a photo etch set for the car and hoping I can source one soon. The Revell Type-E looks like it would be a fine companion to the GTO.

Cheers,    
Wolf

Edited by Wolf