Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Jungle Jim Camaro

unclescott58

I hear a lot of negative things about this old Revell, now Atlantis Jungle Jim Camaro. I understand its inaccuracies vs the real Camaros Jungle Jim drove. But, it was one of the first funny car models I built back in the day. Plus, I like it’s quirky looks.

It’s not a bad kit to build. The decals seem a little big, crowding each other on the kit. Other than that I found no major problems. And that really wasn’t a problem. I’m very please with how well the silver trim worked out. I just used a Metallic Silver Sharpie for that. The main body was paint using Tamiya’s TS-54 Light Metallic Blue. 

Again, despite it’s inaccuracies, I’m please that Atlantis gave me another chance to build this kit. Despite not doing a great job on first one. I did as good as I could at the time. And I still have fond memories of that first one. Naturally by building skills have improved since I build that first one 50 (!!) years ago. And I’m very pleased with how this one turn out. I can’t wait to show it to my friend who remembers me building the first one. He has a semi-fun story he likes to tell about that one. 

EA6A749B-A1F4-4F51-B158-3DF274615E31.jpeg

652CDEA9-F005-4FFF-A47F-B6B6760DAFB3.jpeg

98CDD0D9-DE93-414E-87A6-090062E64707.jpeg

Edited by unclescott58
  • Like 7

Looks good! There is something so satisfying about a nostalgia build; the memories come flooding back, and you get that shot of self-satisfaction in seeing how well you can do the kit now versus that first attempt. Fun stuff!

2 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

Looks good! There is something so satisfying about a nostalgia build; the memories come flooding back, and you get that shot of self-satisfaction in seeing how well you can do the kit now versus that first attempt. Fun stuff!

Agreed. And thank you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sflam123 said:

That looks good!  I know there are historical inaccuracies with this kit (both versions!) but I still think it builds up to a nice looking model, and more importantly you had fun doing it!!

Again, I  agree wholeheartedly. And, thank you. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 8:16 PM, 1972coronet said:

Quite nice! Good, clean build-up!

The kit actually doesn't look half-bad in spite of its wonky proportions
(definitely not any shortcomings in regard to your work).

Did you happen to check if the AMT 1970 Camaro body would possibly fit the kit's chassis?

Thank you for your kind comment on my build. I did not try to see if the AMT Camaro would work with this kits chassis. The kit is not only infamous for its “bad” body, but its “bad” chassis too. But I like the “wonky” body in this case. No matter how inaccurate the kit is. It holds a certain charm to me. 

Edited by unclescott58
  • Thanks 1

I too have fond memories of building one of these decades ago. Early 2nd gen Camaros have always been a favorite of mine. This may be the only race car chassis kit I ever build. As John mentioned the AMT kit, I will do a feasibilty study to see if the bodies could be merged/swapped.

8 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I too have fond memories of building one of these decades ago. Early 2nd gen Camaros have always been a favorite of mine. This may be the only race car chassis kit I ever build. As John mentioned the AMT kit, I will do a feasibilty study to see if the bodies could be merged/swapped.

I’m with you, on your view of early second generation Camaros. In fact, the older I get, the more I appreciate the 1970 1/2 - 1973 Camaros. One of General Motors best styled cars ever, in my opinion. I like them with the standard full-bumper front end, or with the RS split-bumper front end almost equally. (I still lean a little more towards the RS front end.) Those early second gen Camaros are just so smooth and clean. Starting in ‘74, things started going down hill fast in my opinion. Though even those appeal to me more and more as time goes on. 

I like the first gen Camaros too. Though not as much as early second gen. The third and forth gen do little to nothing for me. I again like the later fifth and sixth generations. But no where near the first two. Bill Mitchell and crew just had the golden touch for the most part. 

11 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Thank you for your kind comment on my build. I did not try to see if the AMT Camaro would work with this kits chassis. The kit is not only infamous for its “bad” body, but its “bad” chassis too. Plus I like the “wonky” body in this case. No matter how inaccurate the kit is. It holds a certain charm to me. 

"It holds a certain charm to me."  This statement sums up the reason why Round2 and Atlantis are kicking it right now. For all of their warts, the old kits live on in our hearts. We want to use our modern skills to create what we envisioned all those years ago, using the same Raw Materials.

Great Job Scott!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TooOld said:

Beautiful job Scott !  I wish the one I built way back when would have looked half that good !  Guess I'm a sucker for old kits that everybody hates , seems to me they all can be built into a really nice model . :)

The first one I built past in 1971 looked no where as good as this one does. The kits may not have changed much, but my modeling skills have thankfully. 

I too am a sucker for those old kits everybody else love to hate. So your not alone. 

I heard lots of bad things about this kit too so I was surprised to see one built and looking so good. I've done the same as you and built a couple of these reissues from my childhood. Sometimes I wonder how I ever completed it back then as they are so bad but it also stirs up fond memories. Thank you for sharing your great build.

6 hours ago, TonyK said:

I heard lots of bad things about this kit too so I was surprised to see one built and looking so good. I've done the same as you and built a couple of these reissues from my childhood. Sometimes I wonder how I ever completed it back then as they are so bad but it also stirs up fond memories. Thank you for sharing your great build.

Thanks for your kind words. I don’t think the kit has ever been considered bad to build. It’s accuracy has always been the question with this one. I know it not accurate. But I still like it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good-looking build! I have one of the older issues of this kit, (molded in Orange styrene) in progress but packed away deep in my kit's vault. A question on your build; did you modify the taillights on your build using clear Red lenses or do they look so good due to awesome paint work? 

On 8/20/2022 at 10:10 AM, '70 Grande said:

Good-looking build! I have one of the older issues of this kit, (molded in Orange styrene) in progress but packed away deep in my kit's vault. A question on your build; did you modify the taillights on your build using clear Red lenses or do they look so good due to awesome paint work? 

Thank you for compliments Mark. The taillights were first colored in with a metallic silver Sharpie. Then Tamiya clear red paint was added over that. Simple and effective. 

Edited by unclescott58

That came out real nice.  Always nice to be able to get a redo of these old kits.  I have a few AMT trucks that I got to do over to make up for the ones I butchered when I was a young'un.   I really wish I still had some of my  models from back then.  But like many of us on here mine met the their fate with fireworks.