Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya new Z announced

fumi

Tamiya has announced they are developing the 1/24 new Z.  lt will have separate parts for the roof panel, under panel, transmission and suspension, and the seats will be done in 4 parts to ease painting.  It can be built as either Japanese or North American version.

No release date yet.

https://www.tamiya.com/japan/newstopics/info/2022/0617new.html

For people who don't have Google Translate, the website text says -

Item 24363
 1/24 NISSAN Fairlady Z (RZ34)
 1/24 SCALE NISSAN Z

Nissan's sports car, Fairlady Z, announced in August 2021 for North America and in January 2022 for Japan.  The 7th generation features a design that pays homage to successive models with the main theme of "fusion of tradition and state-of-the-art technology".  Equipped with a 405-horsepower 3-liter V6 twin-turbo engine at the front, it combines a 6-speed MT or 9-speed AT transmission to drive the rear wheels.  As a pure engine model, it attracted the attention of fans around the world.

《About the model》★1/24 scale plastic model assembly kit.  Length 183mm, Width 84mm, Height 55mm.  ★The sharp form of the 2-door fastback coupe has been faithfully reproduced.  The outer panel of the body and roof is composed of separate parts.  ★Separate parts such as the lower part of the transmission and front and rear suspension arms give the underside of the chassis a three-dimensional finish.  ★The seat is divided into 4 sections for ease of painting.  ★Comes with masking stickers for coloring transparent parts.  ★You can choose to assemble either Japanese or North American specifications.  ★Emblems and logos are recreated with inlet marks.  ★Tires are made of solid rubber.

Under supervision of Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.

22 minutes ago, gasman said:

I wonder if it will be a retool of the 370z or a new tool. The new Z is based of the old 370z

New tool.  Even the recent 86/BRZ kits which share 90% or so with the older 1:1 and 1/24 kits were entirely new tooling.  They might be able to share patterning for the some of the dirty bits, but the New Z is almost a half foot longer than the 370 so the chassis plate would need lengthened, and that probably means the interior is deeper than the 370 as well.

Edited by niteowl7710

55 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

New tool.  Even the recent 86/BRZ kits which share 90% or so with the older 1:1 and 1/24 kits were entirely new tooling.  They might be able to share patterning for the some of the dirty bits, but the New Z is almost a half foot longer than the 370 so the chassis plate would need lengthened, and that probably means the interior is deeper than the 370 as well.

Adding some numbers to this

The 370Z Kit is 175mm, Width: 77mm

The New Zed kit is Length 183, width 84 as seen above in the kit info.

The GR 86 shared some of those "dirty bits" with the original tooling, I think it was maybe less than 5% of the over tooling.

Edited by martinfan5

14 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

It sounds like from what was posted in a Japanese FB model group,  Tamiya is planning on a Nov release to coincide with the release of the Zed there in Japan.

Makes sense as we'd normally be heading into the All Japan Model Hobby Show, but there is nothing posted anywhere, including the show's own website that shows a 2022 event.  It might be two years of Covid cancellations have finally taken out the event...but the model companies are so used to doing an end of the year "dump" of new products.  Aoshima announced that "Version 2" of the LibertyWalk Aventador last night, along with the Hase Mini, and this kit as well.  Have to keep an eye on Hasegawa and see if they plan to do a Nov/Dec joint release like they would normally do for the show that might feature more new tooling, or significant revamps to the recent new tooling kits.  I suspect this will be the only Tamiya car announcement (there was a new tank announcement on the same page as the Z story), and beyond getting a date for the LB Murcielago I wouldn't expect anything of substance out of Aoshima since their stuff is scheduled through November already.

• 2 weeks later...

Taste is certainly subjective, but I find this to be a very uninspiring looking car.  I remember the 240, 260 and the 280's were very, very cool looking.  It seems to me that each successive generation has become more and more bland.  I really cannot remember the last time I saw a Z on the road.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim N said:

Taste is certainly subjective, but I find this to be a very uninspiring looking car.  I remember the 240, 260 and the 280's were very, very cool looking.  It seems to me that each successive generation has become more and more bland.  I really cannot remember the last time I saw a Z on the road.

Amen, Brother! The last time I remember seeing a Z that I liked was the 280. And that has been a long time ago.

3 hours ago, Jim N said:

I saw one of these in person this spring. It had mfg plates on it, and appeared to be driving to the Nissan dealer down the street from my office.

In person, it is a good looking car, definitely more in common with the Z of old than any of the 350 or 370z from the past 20 years or so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim N said:

Meh, you couldn't make a new car that looks exactly like the old 240-280z these days. Nissan did a very good job with what they have to work with. I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the reason behind the new Z's fairly conservative styling comes from the criticism about the relatively wild styling of the new Supra. The new one is still prettier than the old 370z. 

5 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I saw one of these in person this spring. It had mfg plates on it, and appeared to be driving to the Nissan dealer down the street from my office.

In person, it is a good looking car, definitely more in common with the Z of old than any of the 350 or 370z from the past 20 years or so.

The Nissan plant is here. The amount of Nissan Zs I see on a daily basis is unreal. In every possible stage of modification, tuning or decay. The amount of Nissans in general. But I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment of the new Z. It is one of the ugliest things I see on the road and it is IMO a big step backwards from any previous Z models. Frankly, it has nothing in common with any of the previous Z cars when you look at it other than that roof line from the 350/370, which for some reason just doesn't really go with the rest of the origami on this misunderstanding of design. 

Edited by mrm

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Saw this article over at Motor1.

https://www.motor1.com/news/607096/2023-nissan-z-model-kit-by-tamiya/

Interesting that it's getting attention on a news website. COuld very well generate interest and attract some new people into the hobby. 

:)

Roof is separate, the roof trim is separate, the interior color keyed pieces are separate, the seats are 3 pieces.  Y'all keep telling me about how furrin' model kits are useless, and I'll keep pointing out you're missing out on just building a GOOD model that isn't going to wrestle you into a pit of despair and putty shavings.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1