Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 Aug 2022

Mr mopar

The little diecast Regal T-Type looks nice, and so does the Cougar Eliminator.

I've never had the '56 Ford, so I'll be getting two of those to build the regular stock hardtop and a Crown Vic.  The cover art on the Avanti shows a '64 (square headlight bezels), but the box indicates a '63, which has round headlight bezels.  I expect both types of bezels to be in the kit as before.

There is quite a variety to suit just about everyone.  I think this is the most they have ever presented in a given month.

The Sunoco '34 Is Great, and I like the Opel GT, especially the decals! The rest leave me pretty cold, with the '57 Chevy and '56 Ford being direct re-pops of the most recent releases. Not a bad thing maybe, as both are perineal Best Sellers, and the market may be ready for them to be back.

The Groove Boss racer is a great to have back, but here is where the whole Retro Box Art thing fails completely IMHO! Round2 Really needed to push that expanded Decals bit, and instead they've reused the lackluster original box art, and hidden the new decals on the box bottom. They do get mentioned on the 'features sticker' but there is no colour representation of the new decals on the box. Sad. This is one kit that could have used all new Box Art, rather than the Nostalgia Box. At least show the decals on one of the side panels. Those new Decals are a major selling point in my eyes, especially since the original decals were quite frankly so poor. They needed to be pushed hard, not relegated to a tiny B/W pic on the box bottom.

I have never built the '56 Ford. Maybe I will get one or two this round. I have a friend with five complete running/driving 1:1s, a parts car, and a bunch of parts. He might like a replica of his Victoria or his Crown Victoria.

5 hours ago, Motor City said:

The little diecast Regal T-Type looks nice, and so does the Cougar Eliminator.

I've never had the '56 Ford, so I'll be getting two of those to build the regular stock hardtop and a Crown Vic.  The cover art on the Avanti shows a '64 (square headlight bezels), but the box indicates a '63, which has round headlight bezels.  I expect both types of bezels to be in the kit as before.

There is quite a variety to suit just about everyone.  I think this is the most they have ever presented in a given month.

IIRC the Avanti kit has both the round and square headlights?

• Like 1

Some nice old reissue models. The reissue of the '49 Ford coupe has always been a favorite with me, but I have to wonder way they haven't done the '50 Ford convertible kit that offered even more custom parts. I think there would be just as much interest in the '50 as the '49. The '56 Victoria is a welcome addition and offers a lot of build options.

3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Well, I'll be getting the garbage truck for sure.

And I have no idea why, but I kind of want that 34 Sunoco tow truck. That's totally outside of my usual interests.

$77.90US preorder price for the Garbage Truck at Model Roundup...

My wallet is safe from Round 2 once again, nothing there for me. Although  the garbage truck does look nice and it's new (holy moly! Did I say new from Round2?).  It gives me a chance to save money for Revell's and Moebius' new kits. 

Edited by BobbyG
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 9:32 PM, stavanzer said:

The Sunoco '34 Is Great, and I like the Opel GT, especially the decals! The rest leave me pretty cold, with the '57 Chevy and '56 Ford being direct re-pops of the most recent releases. Not a bad thing maybe, as both are perineal Best Sellers, and the market may be ready for them to be back.

Unfortunately Round2 was not aware that almost all of the original Styline parts are still in the tool (gates welded shut) for the 57 Chevy. I did bring this up to John G, but it was too close to production to open them. I'm hoping they will show up in future issues. Wonky side trim and hacked up horn ring on the steering wheel aside, it 's a great kit, with a gold mine of period rod and custom part, not to mention a nice set 4 Keystone Kustomags and a really nice pair of Chrome reversed wheels.