Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 Aug 2022

Mr mopar

38 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

Unfortunately Round2 was not aware that almost all of the original Styline parts are still in the tool (gates welded shut) for the 57 Chevy. I did bring this up to John G, but it was too close to production to open them. I'm hoping they will show up in future issues. Wonky side trim and hacked up horn ring on the steering wheel aside, it 's a great kit, with a gold mine of period rod and custom part, not to mention a nice set 4 Keystone Kustomags and a really nice pair of Chrome reversed wheels. 

Alright! Maybe we'll see those parts in this new issue. Round2 has been good about doing that when they can. It will be fun to see if those old parts have been restored.

• Like 1

Those styline parts for the '57 Chevy wouldn't be worth the styrene that would be wasted just for the handful of people that would actually use them. Much less the time and effort it would take on the tooling. There's a reason they're not there any longer. They're horrible. 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

Those styline parts for the '57 Chevy wouldn't be worth the styrene that would be wasted just for the handful of people that would actually use them. Much less the time and effort it would take on the tooling. There's a reason they're not there any longer. They're horrible. 

I'll disagree with you, Roger. It is always good to see original parts back into a kit. To the guy who does use them, they are a valuable part of the kit.

I built one with the Stylizing parts back in the day, and have another one in the works.  Whatever you do, do NOT use both the chopped top and the front/rear extensions on the same car.  The chop stretches the roof and makes the car look bricklike.  I did, and do plan to finish it, but also might like to try one car with the chop (and milder custom parts) and one with the extension pieces but no chop.  Not a lot of radical custom 1:1 '57s, but that's because the car looked good as-is.

5 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Interesting to see the 68 El Camino back out in Coke livery

I hope it's moulded in white, as I need to get one for its interior so that I can finish building a stalled project - the interior panels are a P.I.T.A. to keep aligned, and have virtually zero attachment points. 
My mistake?
I'd painted the parts individually, then attempted to assemble them. The whole shebang kept coming-apart no matter what, so I abandoned the project.
White styrene -sans complete paint - will get me where I need to be.

On 8/1/2022 at 9:08 PM, unclescott58 said:

Not a single thing I want this month. That’s a first in long time for me. 

I do want to make an amendment to my comment above. The only reason I’m not planning buying any of the kits put out this month, is not that kits aren’t interesting or good. But, I already have the ones that really interest me. The ‘49 and ‘56 Fords, ‘34 Ford truck, the Avanti, the ‘57 Chevy, Opel GT, and ‘68 El Camino are all great kits. But I have them, and I don’t need another. I am glad they are back out there, and available for others to enjoy. 

Edited by unclescott58

37 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I hope it's moulded in white, as I need to get one for its interior so that I can finish building a stalled project - the interior panels are a P.I.T.A. to keep aligned, and have virtually zero attachment points. 
My mistake?
I'd painted the parts individually, then attempted to assemble them. The whole shebang kept coming-apart no matter what, so I abandoned the project.
White styrene -sans complete paint - will get me where I need to be.

Chad showed the box rather quickly so I wasn't able to see if it is molded in red or not, but some of their recent Coke offerings were molded in red (72 C-10 pickup). The previous version of that El Camino is relatively easy to find.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 7:32 PM, stavanzer said:

perineal Best Sellers

A rose by any other name is still a rose!
But seriously, I can say I have gone out of my way to buy unbuilt vintage examples of both the '57 Chevy and '50 Ford convertible just for the cool period-correct custom parts. Prices for such kits are getting ridiculous. I'd be very happy to see them return in a newly-issued kit!

I want that Sunoco 34 Ford, But all I really want is the Decals. I've got 5 of the older Yellow Lindberg Versions, so, I don't need the parts. If they show up at Hooby Looby I may get one anyhow.

Edited by stavanzer

3 hours ago, stavanzer said:

I want that Sunoco 34 Ford, But all I really want is the Decals. I've got 5 of the older Yellow Lindberg Versions, so, I don't need the parts. If they show up at Hooby Looby I get one anyhow.

Might be able to find someone to trade you the decals so you don't have to buy the kit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I do want to make an amendment to my comment above. The only reason I’m not planning buying any of the kits put out this month, is not that kits aren’t interesting or good. But, I already have the ones that really interest me. The ‘49 and ‘56 Fords, ‘34 Ford truck, the Avanti, the ‘57 Chevy, Opel GT, and ‘68 El Camino are all great kits. But I have them, and I don’t need another. I am glad they are back out there, and available for others to enjoy. 

Same here! X2

On 8/2/2022 at 9:52 AM, espo said:

Some nice old reissue models. The reissue of the '49 Ford coupe has always been a favorite with me, but I have to wonder way they haven't done the '50 Ford convertible kit that offered even more custom parts. I think there would be just as much interest in the '50 as the '49. The '56 Victoria is a welcome addition and offers a lot of build options.

The '50 Ford "Showboat" was reissued not too long ago:

image.png.61bab440b20e0f001e0bc1854d53c5ff.png

image.png.c4ed03eda228f102b45c5fb36a9ff625.png

6 hours ago, stavanzer said:

I want that Sunoco 34 Ford, But all I really want is the Decals. I've got 5 of the older Yellow Lindberg Versions, so, I don't need the parts. If they show up at Hooby Looby I may get one anyhow.

I seem to remember that one could buy decal sheets from Round-2, maybe inquire?!

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

I seem to remember that one could buy decal sheets from Round-2, maybe inquire?!

I have mailed them the order sheet and a check two times and got “extra”  decals for kits.  The last time I did pay for two sets but they only sent one but it is still worth the price.

6 hours ago, vamach1 said:

I have mailed them the order sheet and a check two times and got “extra”  decals for kits.  The last time I did pay for two sets but they only sent one but it is still worth the price.

Where is this Order Sheet? I've looked on Round2's site and only find a Replacement Part form.

18 hours ago, Mark said:

I built one with the Stylizing parts back in the day, and have another one in the works.  Whatever you do, do NOT use both the chopped top and the front/rear extensions on the same car.  The chop stretches the roof and makes the car look bricklike.  I did, and do plan to finish it, but also might like to try one car with the chop (and milder custom parts) and one with the extension pieces but no chop.  Not a lot of radical custom 1:1 '57s, but that's because the car looked good as-is.

Could you post a photo? I've never seen a '57 with those parts on it.

57 minutes ago, Raoul Ross said:

Where is this Order Sheet? I've looked on Round2's site and only find a Replacement Part form.

It’s the replacement part form you download and mail in.  All I noted was the kit number and wrote in decal sheet in the description and they sent me a “replacement.”  I had the kit already but wanted an extra set of decals.  They list the prices on the sheet.

E019D09D-6000-4E5F-8550-61A662BE13A3.jpeg

E8D2B7D1-149D-4AF0-A135-CDBF80CA2972.jpeg

On 8/2/2022 at 12:36 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Anybody know if the Rat Fink International truck was available as a stock rig? That one's cool!

The stock version was released about a year ago, should be available through most shops which stock Round2 kits.

31 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

It’s the replacement part form you download and mail in.  All I noted was the kit number and wrote in decal sheet in the description and they sent me a “replacement.”  I had the kit already but wanted an extra set of decals.  They list the prices on the sheet.

E019D09D-6000-4E5F-8550-61A662BE13A3.jpeg

E8D2B7D1-149D-4AF0-A135-CDBF80CA2972.jpeg

Found it Thanx!

10 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I cut open the grille area intending to put in a separate piece from behind.

Note the downward slant of the side window opening; I might cheat and recut that to make it more level.  Right now that makes the chop look heavy.  I cut the windshield and rear glass so they can be fitted separately after finish paint.

1659656583698376694945.jpg

16596566480031049436185.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/4/2022 at 7:50 AM, Plowboy said:

Here's the real car that may have inspired the AMT designers, or vice versa.

Not everyone's taste, but it was the style at the time.

image.png.f2cb3c50d1ddb04e116ba1155d4d05b0.png

image.png.33370ce4b2e6affc4559b0e9d472a27f.png

BTW- if anyone has the 348/409 out of this kit, or at least the supercharger intake setup, i'll take 'em. 

• Like 1