Model Cars Magazine Forum

2 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Thanks Mark. Good news is there are no brush marks to deal with but the shapes of these bodies will require caution at the polishing stage to avoid cut throughs.

Great news on the no brush strokes. I wasn't as lucky on the Jarrett ford. But it did turn out better than my first 2 attempts. Maybe someday I will get to the no brush stroke place I want to be in.

Double Wow, Pierre. You have solved the brush stoke mystery. Those body's look awesome. Even better than rattle can or air brush. Three things about brush painting you don't have to worry about are, orange peel, runs in the paint, or a grainy sandpaper like finish. all these are possible when spraying paint.

Nice collection of vintage NASCAR racers.

Back in about 1970, my grandfather re-painted his 1960 F100. A previous owner had a camper on it and the seal at the back window and other places was worn through the original paint. He mixed his own paint using stuff like oil based porch paint. Mixed it to his own choice of color (tan with a white roof). Then he applied the paint with a brush. His father in law had been a painter for Oldsmobile before he came to LA in 1904 and had later taught grampa how to do it. No sanding between coats. When he sold the truck in about 1990, it was still bright and shiny, even though it had never been parked indoors.

So I know painting with a brush CAN be done. Not that I would be able to do a decent job of it, even though I know basically what needs to be done.

My congratulations to you.

• Thanks 1

Entering the final phase. Some of the smaller components need to be improved or scratch built. Example: jack hooks, not present in the kit but needed for a racing Cobra. Made it with 2mm angles and 1.2 mm rod. A bit large in the end so will need to find ways to slim them down for my next Cobra build.

Tiger Cobra wip33.jpg

Tiger Cobra wip34.jpg

Tiger Cobra wip35.jpg

Tiger Cobra wip36.jpg

Tiger Cobra wip37.jpg

Tiger Cobra wip38.jpg

Got the interiors done, with the exception of the Cobra roll bar which will be done after interior is set to the body.

The Cobra was pretty easy, basically kit parts with addition of my own IP gauges and toggle switches, seat belts and fire extinguisher.

The Tiger is a similar approach but also a substitution for the driver's seat as well as fabrication of a roll cage.

Tiger Cobra wip46.jpg

Tiger Cobra wip47.jpg

• Like 1