Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trading Post

Mike 1017

Seems slower lately.

I always check it, but never see anything of interest to me.

I have stuff I plan to trade, but just haven't been bothered to make a post yet.

As Alan said, I suspect it's just everyone being busy doing summer things. Come September, it'll probably pick up again.

• Like 1

I have done a few trades, but not always that pleased. I don't mind trading to help someone out, but by the time you pay for postage and the returned parts or kit not always what you are expecting, it just doesn't seem to make sense. By this I mean the kit could often be bought off the shelf at HL and the box and contents are intact.       

Postage is the big thing, unless you are only dealing with small stuff.  

Too, some folks do a lot of trading, others little or none.  I did two trades in one week last year, hadn't done any by mail in about 30 years, and none since.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The no selling rule has always been there, so that's probably not effecting things much. I'm sure it deters a few, and that's fine.

Those above who mentioned postage may also be on to something. I know sending things between Canada and the US has been terrible over the past year or so. It's not the costs so much, as it is the delays. I've had stuff arrive from Europe in under a week, yet some things coming form the US, literally a 10 hour drive from my house, are taking 2-3 weeks or more.

Anyway, don't be too concerned, I still think it's just a summer lull, and come fall, there will be more.

I'll be putting some things up soon. Just trying to organize and inventory some items. :)

Postage is the big thing, unless you are only dealing with small stuff.

Even the small stuff!   

I used to think nothing of tossing a few parts in a box if it helped someone on the board.  Gratis, just pass it on to the next guy!

But lately those little parcels cost can cost $5-10 to send.  So now I only do so to people I know, who I know need the parts to finish a project!  

Remember the early days of eBay?  The Priority Mail 2 lb box was $2.99.   Now that's a $10-12 shipment!

The cost of shipping at this point makes buying or trading prohibited. Unless it's free shipping for a certain amount spent you could and will spend 40+ for a single amt or revell.model. 

At this point I will buy 2 of the bronco kits coming out and be done. I have a ton of models and I need to build what I have. I don't even have enough room for what I have and will probably just donate the ones I know I won't build to good will. What do I need 5 amt 63 Corvette models. They aren't even variations boxes. Just the same. Horder comes to mind