Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 3 Window Coupe

bill-e-boy

This is my effort towards the 1932 90th anniversary

I started this way back in 1997 when the kit was first released. The top was cut at least 3" with the top of the turret stretched.

The build theme started as a road coupe then I thought of building a hemi powered Bonneville racer. The hemi is from an AMT parts pack as has modernised induction with port injection and using the blower scoop as air inlet. The original intent was to leave it as a Hiboy but I saw a pix in a recent mag of a channeled Tudor with some very tasty early AR mags with slicks - a light bulb moment. So I dug this out of storage and nearly put it back as the box did not have the chrome tree with the front end etc. I had a further look and found it in with another project. 

So to now - below is a mock-up of the coupe channeled

IMG_7383.thumb.JPG.1756eca97a1cfbe3d467475fb99e9245.JPG

I will look at it as a Hiboy next but am liking what I see 

• Like 8

And as a Hiboy

The gap is just too much above the rear wheels so I am tending to favour the channeled look

IMG_7387.thumb.JPG.b2a974545704c4d99c8220a76bb43dc2.JPG

And the reason for refrigerator white is to show off these decals from the "other magazine" 

IMG_7388.thumb.JPG.97dfe3554214ba8fe5f58bad59226dc1.JPG

I am looking at the smaller two #20 decals which will fill out the doors nicely. Maybe even the large #20 on the trunk lid

There are a lot of prepped parts with the coupe such as smoothed interior painted silver and a roll cage. If I channel it all these will need to be altered but I am a beggar for punished 

I believe you are about a decade late to that 20th anniversary, so I would just skip those decals. Besides, that magazine is not even published anymore, which is a shame really. Anyway, looking forward seeing how this evolves. 

Going with the channeled version

Marking and cutting the interior

IMG_7392.thumb.JPG.4b9f656f35eb92f296e06e51f0c18fda.JPG

And marking the rear inner guards ready for cutting

IMG_7397.thumb.JPG.af0d2fb3d2814f141085ec37550c1368.JPG

And filing the front spring for more drop - can never be too low

IMG_7395.thumb.JPG.5d45faa2b5ff89696eacabd12159284f.JPG

This gains about 3mm drop in the front

On being low - my street car has been lowered and I need to be careful when the front suspension bottoms out - it rubs metal off the sump - darn - I have fixed it once and no doubt will need to again

And a mock up with the interior inserted into the body. 

IMG_7401.thumb.JPG.e65f70a189c88e47fce7af1634ea9c1d.JPG

• Like 2

That chop is well executed, and the stance is right on. Love the rear wheel/tire combo, hopefully you can find something complementary for the front.

With regards to the decals, I'm assuming you're not using the Scale Auto logos, just the nicely rendered number decals.

Where did the tear slicks come from?

And the winner is Mr Metallic - yup they are from an AMT parts pack - I have seen these recently so must be available again

I have been working away at the coupe, mostly sorting out thigs that were started on the first build. I will post more pix when I next do some work on it

• Like 1

Took a couple of goes at getting the rear wheel wells channeled = pix latter 

Meantime I have been working on the wheels. I am using the kit Americans. The rears were easy - just a little trimming on the internal tire diameter to fit the wheel

The fronts were way too wide. The outer part fit OK bit overall the wheel was too wide for my wheel choice. I cut down the back rim and cut the spier from what was left and tapered those to look better

IMG_7422.thumb.JPG.81c55687d40fd687fa570ed2bb133bfb.JPG

And looking much more better now - just need to finalise the stance and cut the firewall 

IMG_7428.thumb.JPG.3c50cd8d4313bd4bb49501a8aa3fcfb6.JPG

Thanks for looking

IMG_7423.JPG

IMG_7425.JPG

• Like 3