Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1970 'cuda AAR w/body corrections, accurized and detailed

tim boyd

Here's some photos of the accurized Revell 'cuda AAR I built a couple of years ago just after Revell released their new kit of the same topic.  

The Revell body proportions and details were improved per my article in the Kalmbach one-off pub from December 2020 called "Muscle Cars, Resto Mods and...".  All body mods were done with files and sandpaper - no body putty or filler, and these operations are well within the skill base of most readers of this forum.   

Paint is MCW Automotive Mopar Code FC-7 In-Violet Metallic, paired with white with black guts.  The AAR graphics are from Ray's Decals and are far more accurate than the decals in the kit box. Tires are Goodyear Polyglas GT bigs'n'biggers from Round 2. 

Underbody is fully paint detailed, and the engine has basic wiring added including the water pump to intake manifold crossover tube that is almost never seen on scale Mopar 340 Wedge builds. 

The model was built without the optional console and body color bumpers, and without the "fish gill" rocker panel moldings, as were many 1/1 scale AAR's as dealers tried to keep the prices down to levels affordable by their young buyers and prospects back in 1970. 

The last image compares the AAR model to a kitbashed 'cuda 340 (4 barrel) built alongside the AAR.  It was built with the optional console and rocker/wheel lip moldings, and finished in code EB5 Blue Fire Metallic with black guts. EB5 was one of the two colors that year that could be ordered with both matching colored front/rear painted bumpers and matching Air Grabber scoop, so i included those elements in my model.  The body included all the body mods of the AAR model, plus completely reshaped fender openings and flares to more accurately replicate the real car.   I believe that I posted detailed images of the 'cuda 340 here some time ago, so I won't repeat those here.      

Thanks for checking it out....TIM 

DSC 0426

DSC 0314

DSC 0417

DSC 0293

DSC 0298

DSC 0409

DSC 0734

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 5

Excellent build Tim.  I used your building recommendations when I built my 70 Hemi Cuda numerous years ago. I actually built that Cuda in B5.   I used Scale Finishes B5 on mine.  Your building tips helped me a lot on that build.  

On 8/5/2022 at 10:08 AM, drodg said:

Excellent build Tim.  I used your building recommendations when I built my 70 Hemi Cuda numerous years ago. I actually built that Cuda in B5.   I used Scale Finishes B5 on mine.  Your building tips helped me a lot on that build.  

David....thanks, and really glad to hear those building tips helped you with your project.  Bet that B5 Hemi is looking really, really cool!   TB 

• tim boyd changed the title to Revell 1970 'cuda AAR accurized and detailed
  • tim boyd changed the title to Revell 1970 'cuda AAR w/body corrections, accurized and detailed

Thanks everyone for the comments and kudos.  This was a subject I've wanted to build in 1/25th for many years (decades).   

When I was advocating for Revell to do the 1970 Hemi 'cuda kit, I always pointed out the two obvious derivatives, the Sox and Martin Pro Stock and the AAR.  And Revell I understand had it on their possibility list but wanted to see how the Hemi 'cuda kit sold before investing in the added AAR parts tooling. 

I was a little disappointed in the final result (tires, inaccurate side striping, et al), but found that the fixes were relatively easy and I think make a big difference in the final result. 

Again, thx for looking and for the feedback.  Best....TIM