Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Ferrari collection

mrm

14 hours ago, mrm said:

One has to commend Mattel for actually making the models faithful to their respective originals with minute differences, like the grilles and the different vents in the fenders. 

vnvvy5.jpg

fSTxUH.jpg

PABjGc.jpg

Hallo MATTEL,

may I hope that this will be in the 1:64 Main Line ? I would be the first buyer!

33 minutes ago, caapa said:

Hallo MATTEL,

may I hope that this will be in the 1:64 Main Line ? I would be the first buyer!

Unfortunately, Mattel chose not to renew their license with Ferrari few years back. The company that picked the license is Bburago, which is owned by Maisto. 

Mattel made two more variations of the 575 Z. One was the all red one in their premium SE line, which I did not buy and our days is hard to find. The other I did get and I'm showing you bellow. It differs in having only one vent on the side of front fenders vs two, having US market side markers and rolling on different modular wheels.

clNEHI.jpg

0JK8p2.jpg

Nv4Skz.jpg

KZvwcV.jpg

sab6mM.jpg

jEJEfy.jpg

0JFnEA.jpg

WyBczZ.jpg

E0hewy.jpg

uwDH0N.jpg

lPksy5.jpg

l3iyyG.jpg

On 8/20/2022 at 10:01 AM, Gramps46 said:

Dang it!!  I really like the 575 Zagato but I cannot find a diecast in 1/24.  The vintage touches really make it special.

I am not 100% sure, but I don’t think there are any models of the 575Z in 1/24(5) by any manufacturer in metal, plastic or otherwise. As far as I know, the only other company to make any models of this car is Looksmart in 1:43. 

So, the Ferrari 575 GTZ was approved by Ferrari as the 575 group's swan song under the condition of not showing it at the Geneva Auto Salon at the same time as Ferrari was introducing their replacement for the 575M. That car was the Ferrari 599 GTB. Altho the overall formula of Front engined, rear wheel drive, V12 powered, two seat grand tourer remained the same, the new car could not be any more different than the previous 550/575 cars. It's engine based on the unit used in the Enzo supercar is good for 620hp @ 7600rpm (not bad for a big V12) and 205mph top speed, which at the time makes it the fastest production Ferrari. 

Since the company has already used the birthplace of the company- Modena and the factory's location- Maranello to name their recent models, the new flagship of the company was named Fiorano. For those not familiar with teh name, it is the racetrack adjacent to the factory in Maranello. Every road car, prototype or race car produced by Ferrari is developed and tested on their own private race track - Fiorano. 

FERRARI 599 GTB FIORANO - Mattel Elite

cIa6Ll.jpg

egNiBp.jpg

zihKj0.jpg

1hRvL4.jpg

4d57vv.jpg

n0E89p.jpg

gOGnSC.jpg

7uSomb.jpg

zRhSgZ.jpg

JCBW0l.jpg

S2DyWV.jpg

TIllzG.jpg

HBtFQn.jpg

N9Jc6F.jpg

Forgot to add, that this model was never sold in this color combination. Mattel made the model in red with much darker beige interior and black brake calipers. The creme interior was swapped from another 599 Fiorano, also from the Elite range. I have taken apart, rebuilt, repainted, modified and customized more Mattel Elite 599 Fioranos than I care to remember. I mean dozens. 

9 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

It is a striking car and model.  Thank you sharing it with us.

Thank you Gary.

While Mattel had the exclusive Ferrari license, they put out some truly amazing diecast models. Besides the details, like all the photoetched grilles, carpeted interiors, vacuformed acetate windows, realistic hinges etc., what amazes me the most is the sheer number of different models and their subject matter that got released by the "Barbie maker"> At the time a lot of diecast snobs were talking trash on Mattel and now are wishing Mattel still had the license. 

I personally prefer the 550 Maranello design. It is much more refined and better balanced. Fragile almost. It is gracious and timeless, with the newer designs looking bulky and bloated in comparison. 

Here's a picture to put things in perspective. Keep in mind that the 550 Maranello is no small car. Compared to a C6 Corvette for example, it is 5" longer, 4" wider and 1" taller.

cJWw8w.jpg

Edited by mrm

Altho I have Ferraris in any scale from 1:87 to 1:8 in my collection, which has long ago gone into the 4 digits, my passion for Ferraris goes beyond models. It is a company with probably richest automotive sport history and a legendary status that involves so many personalities and stories, that the models are just part of my memorabilia collection. Very important part of my collection are books. Most Ferrari books are not something you go to Barnes and Nobles and buy off the shelf. At least not the good ones. A prime example is the book bellow, which documented Ferrari's commercial stunt in 2006, which was designed to promote the reliability of their current-then 599 model. 

Basically Ferrari took two stock 599 Fiorano models, one painted red and the other painted blue, and sent them on a 20 000 miles journey. And what a journey it was! The Panamerican 20 000 started in Brazil, from where 50 different journalists from around the world, over the next 84 days drove the two Ferraris through Latin America up north, through the Panama Canal and Mexico to the US West Coast and then across to the East Coast, where it ended in New York, after going for a short wile in Canada too. The idea was to demonstrate the quality and reliability of the Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano in conditions Ferraris never find themselves in and on roads they pretty much never turn a wheel on. From gravel roads, through jungles, the above see level heights of the passes of the Andes to the high temperatures of the desert and the traffic of New York City.

In each country the Ferraris received different vinyl stickers on their hoods and the journalists received corresponding T-shirts. I have managed to acquire few of those T-shirts together with some other items, which compliment the two models Mattel made. The first is the blue car, which represents the starting point in Rio de Janeiro.

GYrqeN.jpg

knuRlJ.jpg

MXbW5p.jpg

YGdPmo.jpg

UR4FLA.jpg

KUJQ1q.jpg

CRYzGU.jpg

eBIUc5.jpg

g4jiSP.jpg

KaPXMM.jpg

sX9YXw.jpg

Edited by mrm

The Ferrari 599 attracted a lot of tuners too. It was the first flagship Ferrari model to do so since the Testarossa and the wild Koenig Specials creations of the 1980s and '90s. 

This model was extensively modified by me. From the integrated roof scoop, through the full aero package, to the machined rims and custom paint and interior. I made thirteen of these and sold all by one. No two were the same. 

HAMANN 599 MRM models

dsc0632iz.jpg

dsc0631ya.jpg

dsc0630vm.jpg

dsc0628b.jpg

dsc0627r.jpg

dsc0626g.jpg

dsc0625z.jpg

dsc0624c.jpg

dsc0622cz.jpg

dsc0617jy.jpg

• Like 1