Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell AG's classification of difficulty levels -

Revell AG’s  misleading  levels  of difficulty:

The idea behind this isn’t bad at all – to prevent  some orientation (as a guideline) for people who are not that deep in the hobby as most of us are. For example beginners  or (grand)parents who want to buy first modeling kits for their (grand)children.

A question from another forum member concerning the skill level "4" with the just reissued ex-Monogram Cobr 427 in Revell AG's (fictional) Gulf livery gave me the idea for this topic:

I’ve read that the classification (levels 1 to 5)  depends mainly on parts count –  here are 2 examples with classifications  that are totally wrong in my opinion and may result in frustrating experiences which might cut off the possible hobby for a newbie before it gets a chance to become one:

Exemple 1:  1956 Bel Air (ex- Monogram from the 70’s) is a very simple kit with relatively low parts count (less than 100 parts including stock AND custom) – no beginner would face bigger problems when trying to build this       one:

56-chevy-customs-1-24-plastic-modelkit-07663-revell-w1200-h1200-dd305437bf317937d64729c55744075b.jpg.c553f5f9f70b876788a6621c96c4c17d.jpg

Exemple 2:  New release Jaguar E-type Roadster (149 parts) is a highly detailed, complex kit I would not recommend for beginners  though Revell says “for uncomplicated fun in modeling – easy painting and glueing” – how silly is that ?

81NDclYSloL._AC_SL1500_.jpg.bce36dc79f5ee04a2e8f42c36e382a2f.jpg

Example 3: Revell USA marks the 1969 Chevy Nova SS with  skill level  2 – I bet this one is more difficult (also more detailed) than the notorious old ’56 Bel Air.

69-chevy-nova-ss-1-25-plastic-modelkit-monogram-2098-revell-w1200-h1200-2516b4dfd67ab166ae8f419ddfc40360.jpg.b1b7fed9e8593e7e217174b3342764f1.jpg

So my personal estimate would be: Level 2 for the ex-Monogram ’56  Bel Air, level 4 for the new E-type and level 3 for the 69 Nova (though I admit that I only have built the old Bel Air almost 40 years ago and don’t know the other 2 from personal experience).

What do you think, guys? Does Revell's  classification make sense or does it miss the target?

I am really interested in your opinion about this matter - let us know what you think about it!

Edited by 1959scudetto

Nothing unusual here.

People who write marketing and packaging copy don't always actually know anything about what they're describing. Pay attention and you'll see similar idiocy everywhere.

Competence isn't necessarily a requisite for employment, and knowledgeable, effective oversight is often lacking.

It's just the way things are today.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY

52 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nothing unusual here.

People who write marketing and packaging copy don't always actually know anything about what they're describing. Pay attention and you'll see similar idiocy everywhere.

Competence isn't necessarily a requisite for employment, and knowledgeable, effective oversight is often lacking.

It's just the way things are today.

I'm afraid you are right, Bill - sad, but true.

Having not actually built the 56 myself my guess would be the 56 might be considered more difficult because it lacks the positive mounting points and overall fit of a newer kit. The Big Game pickup is also a level 4 ex-Monogram kit with low parts count that has some vagueness in how the body mounts to the frame.

I read somewhere that the Revell's difficulty rating is directly related to the kit's parts count, not the actual difficulty of assembly or the poor fit of the parts.

EDID: Seems that I've just seen it in Helmut's other thread.

Edited by peteski

I’ve often thought about this myself. 
After looking at the stash, I notice the Nickey Camaro is a level 5? But then I look at some cars that I know first hand are more difficult to build, with a only a level 3. Take the 55 Pro Sportsman kit. IMHO is definitely aimed at to a more advanced builder. When I built my first one, I wondered how can this be a level 3? I was thinking to myself what would a level 4 be like? But if IIRC, there really wasn’t anything higher than a 3 at that point. 
But I believe Bill summed it up. You put someone in charge, behind a desk, and sometimes they don’t even have a clue to what’s what. Probably the case here. 

One must have in mind that the old US skill level ratings was 1, 2 and 3 where 1 is the easiest, 2 is more difficult and 3 is advanced, the Revell Germany skill level ratings is 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.
Most of the Revell glue kits issued in the US after they introduced the skill level ratings on the boxes were marked 2 or 3 and the 56 Chevy in your pictures was a level 2 when it was issued in the US 2007, so a 3 or 4 in the German scale is maybe not that wrong...allthough it's a quite easy kit so I would put it as a 3.
So in conclution, you can't compare the old Revell US issued kits ratings with the new Revell Germany ratings as they are not exactly the same, a 3 in the old Revell US skill level rating is equivalent to a 5 in the new Revell Germany skill level rating.

4 hours ago, Force said:

One must have in mind that the old US skill level ratings was 1, 2 and 3 where 1 is the easiest, 2 is more difficult and 3 is advanced, the Revell Germany skill level ratings is 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.
Most of the Revell glue kits issued in the US after they introduced the skill level ratings on the boxes were marked 2 or 3 and the 56 Chevy in your pictures was a level 2 when it was issued in the US 2007, so a 3 or 4 in the German scale is maybe not that wrong...allthough it's a quite easy kit so I would put it as a 3.
So in conclution, you can't compare the old Revell US issued kits ratings with the new Revell Germany ratings as they are not exactly the same, a 3 in the old Revell US skill level rating is equivalent to a 5 in the new Revell Germany skill level rating.

Thank you for trying to clear things up a bit, Håkan - for me these level classifications are no problem at all, I don't care about them (Being an on/off car modeler since 1969, I know my abilities and how to overcome difficulties - I buy what finds my interest) - but for an absolute beginner this might be a problem and could make one uncertain and causing wrong decisions.

• Like 1

I found the skill level definition on https://www.revell.de/en/faqs/   It confirms that the rating is strictly based on parts count.

FAQ 13: What is the meaning of the Skill Level indications for the model kits?

The indication of the Skill Level (1-5) can be found on every Revell model kit. These levels categorise the model kits into different difficulty levels. They can serve as important guide for your purchase decision and help to avoid that a modeller buys a model kit which is “too easy“ or “too complex“. 

The Skill Levels represent the following product characteristics:

• [1] includes snap kits for beginners which do not need to be glued or painted. 
  • [2] comprehends simple model kits to be glued and painted with up to 30 parts for beginners. 
  • [3] is the category for challenging models with up to 100 parts to be glued and painted. 
  • [4] is suited for experienced modellers, with up to 150 parts to be glued and painted.
  • [5] refers to models requiring the highest handicraft skill level, with more than 150 individual parts to be glued and painted.

By the system posted above the 56 and the Big Game truck should be a 3 if the rating was based solely on parts count. Since they're both a 4 there has to be more to it. The Monogram Pulldozer Blazer was an American scale 2 and the new reissue will be a 4 as well. 

4 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

By the system posted above the 56 and the Big Game truck should be a 3 if the rating was based solely on parts count. Since they're both a 4 there has to be more to it. The Monogram Pulldozer Blazer was an American scale 2 and the new reissue will be a 4 as well. 

Could be I guess.  I just quote the info directly from the horse's mouth. :)

There’s one particular kit I have in my stash, although I can’t remember which right now, that changed difficulty rating between issues.

Exact same kit, almost identical box art…but one year it was harder to build than another year.

Maybe they figured the average person got dumber? 😂