Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Happened To The Monogram 1/32 Snap Kits?

oldcarfan

I came upon this on another forum and it reminded me of Christmases as a little kid. I remember getting a lot of these. I preferred 1/25th kits, but not having a lot of money, anything was appreciated.

I wonder if the molds are still around? I'd buy a bunch just for the happy memories they'd bring.

Monogram1980Catalog.jpg

Well, you are in luck! At least as far as the funny cars are concerned.....Atlantis is reissuing them. I see the Camaro, Charger, Duster and Mustang are available for preorder on ebay now. The Vega, Pinto, Gremlin and Mustang II are supposed to be coming in the near future. It would be cool to see the Streeto Vandito, Vanana Split and the emergency versions of those available again too!

Edited by larman

3 hours ago, oldcarfan said:

I came upon this on another forum and it reminded me of Christmases as a little kid. I remember getting a lot of these. I preferred 1/25th kits, but not having a lot of money, anything was appreciated.

I wonder if the molds are still around? I'd buy a bunch just for the happy memories they'd bring.

Pure speculation on my part, but it looks like all went to Atlantis, except some of which the tools were in China, like the Mack truck, tanker trailer, fire engine and the Malibu.

5 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

If Revell still has the Malibu police car, then we'll probably never see it again. Why would they issue their lone 1/32 snap kit when all the other ones went to Atlantis. 

Just sayin'

They've reissued that Malibu, Mack R w/Trailer and the Mack Fire Truck seemingly twice a decade or so for all of the 90s-2010s without ever kicking out the rest of the 1/32 kits other than the ones that were in the Luminator Series back in 1991. Several 1/32 kits were tooled in the 90s (NASCAR, Mustang, Ferrari F-40, S-10 ZR2, etc) Plus we're getting back a couple of the 1/32 trucks in the next 6 months or so...

I like the 1/32 kits, I pick them up when I see them. I had to buy the firetruck, which I have no interest in, to get the Malibu. I have the Mack with trailer and the Freightliner with trailer. I got these I think not too long ago. I built those two of the set. There's one rig I built as a kid I would like to have again, I think it's a Ford? 20220810_215407.jpg.6de7944f7ef6d4bb422f2a8ce73d934b.jpg20220810_215506.jpg.5f1d42c5440446f8d5cffc256ff6c7b4.jpg

I remember getting the 1/32 kits as a kid because they were cheap and I could knock them out quickly. I grabbed these two off of eBay earlier this year, also have the Atlantis 69 Nova that was reissued as well as the Revell 07 Shelby Mustang.

IMG_6057.jpg