Model Cars Magazine Forum

Instruction sheet BLOOPERS

36 minutes ago, Mark said:

As an aside, did the 1980 RR have that horn, and did it have the sticker on it?

I've got the 1980 Volare brochure, it makes no mention of Warner Brothers, and the cartoon bird does not appear anywhere on the 1980 Road Runner.  WB of course holds the copyright to the bird but not the Road Runner name itself.

In my 52 years around --42 years since the last Volaré was produced-- I can only recall ever seeing two 1980 R.R.'s in person, neither of which had their hoods open. Heck, I'm not ever sure that the F-body R.R.'s (1976-1980) had the Lavendar colour horn. 

The reason the Beep Beep horn is a double blunder is:

A. The instructions show to mount it on the firewall.

B. It shouldn't be in a GTX. The GTX didn’t come with that horn. Neither did the '70 Super Bee. But, both instruction sheets show it that way.  

In the last few years I've gotten back to building the cars of my youth (50s-60s).  I've found that the instructions no longer have the "step by step" verbiage and the exploded pics can be pretty vague as to what exactly goes where exactly.  The kits are from all the major manufacturers (AMT, Revell, Tamiya, etc.), so its not just one company that "could do better" IMO. 

But then it hit me....all of these kits are made overseas, whereas the kits of my youth were all made in America - which again, IMO, would reflect a language barrier that has to constantly be overcome in preparing instruction sheets.   That is certainly understandable, but it sure does give me (and others) a bit more of a challenge.

On 8/8/2022 at 9:22 AM, Fat Brian said:

The problem with the horn instructions is that it shows to put it where the wiper motor piece should go. The horn is big enough that in that location it can cause the hood and/or air cleaner to not fit correctly. 

Coming soon is AMT1363 '68 Plymouth Roadrunner kit which is a reissue of AMT849 from 2013.  The box art has been freshened, instruction sheet has been fixed with the correct wiper motor part # and graphic. This fix will apply to all the B-body variants that share the same tooling.   

-Steve

Edited by SteveG
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 3:15 PM, Vintage AMT said:

OK guys enough about the horn :rolleyes: back to the bloopers, there are two on this one...uh, sorry, there are three...

DSCN6256.thumb.JPG.3942820ff3e374a41c6c9a36cf16fa85.JPG

I think that the misspellings were done on purpose. To avoid the red tape of using other companies names.

Rob, et al;

The LR sheet sure looks like the tech artist just flipped the image; far from unusual, but doesn't show much perception of reality -- if building kits has a reality side!

It's funny that a mfr. would purposely mis-spell trademarked names, as opposed to just omitting them; 'magneto, front cover & fuel-injection' without TM's have been used many's the time in my long experience; the mis-spellings just draw negative attention to the sheet.  Having said that, it's obvious that I missed two of 'em, which proves someone's contention that the instructions are just there to dan alternative way to assemble the job!  Apparently I don't read the things?!

"Life is just one damned blooper after another" perhaps?  Wick

Don't read the blurbs; mistakes abound!  The Revell '57 Ford kit writer that elaborated on the superiority of the 'cow belly' frame of the new '57 versus the 'x-frame' design of the Chevrolet -- when the '57 Chevy still had the ladder frame of the '55-6 cars.*  Cad inaugurated the X design in '57, but it wasn't a selling point, pro or con, until 1958 on the other divisions!   In another kit instruction, the repetition that the Chevy 348-409 W-Motor was 'designed for trucks'; of course it was, but so was the original small-block 265 series, for that matter!  The engineers who designed the W specially stated in an SAE paper of 1956 that was so.  And more.

This list is long: repeating urban legend, over-generalization, just plain guesswork -- but who reads those?

*Yep, only the front frame horns on the '57 were boxed to support the new catfish-mouth grille/bumper.  Been there.

On 8/10/2022 at 9:39 AM, SteveG said:

Coming soon is AMT1363 '68 Plymouth Roadrunner kit which is a reissue of AMT849 from 2013.  The box art has been freshened, instruction sheet has been fixed with the correct wiper motor part # and graphic. This fix will apply to all the B-body variants that share the same tooling.   

-Steve

Well it's about time (sarcasm).😉