Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 RANCHERO GT "ONE OF A KIND"

This project began with an AMT 1969 Torino by shortening the wheelbase from the stock 116 inches to the Ranchero's 113 inches . The quarter panels were lengthened and reshaped to match the custom fabricated taillights and a tailgate was made . The fuel cap and side marker lamps were also added , then the Torino's rear bumper was modified . 

The major body modifications were accomplished by using the rear of the cab and the bed from a Revell 1966 El Camino .  They were redone to include a larger rear window and new "B" pillar with Ranchero trim , and a completely new bed that was fabricated using Evergreen plastic sheet and strips . 

An original GT grille/bumper was found online and the molded in headlights were drilled out so clear lenses could be added . The side mirror is from an AMT '67 Mustang , door handles from Fireball Modelworks , wipers from an AMT '70 Charger , and the antenna was fabbed using hypodermic tubing and a stainless insect pin .  The GT wheels are from an AMT '69 Cougar kit with homemade decals for the emblems and the tires are also from Fireball Modelworks . 

It's painted with original Meadowlark Yellow from Automotive Touchup and cleared with Tamiya TS-13 Clear . The Torino stripe decals were too short for the Ranchero quarter panels so I printed my own , added P.E. script emblems and F-O-R-D tailgate letters from Model Car Garage , and finally I printed a period correct license plate . 

This "One Of A Kind" Ranchero was built as a curbside because I wanted to concentrate my efforts on making the body as correct as possible .  I'm very happy with the results and am already planning my next project . . . a 1979 Ranchero GT ! 

Edited by TooOld
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Vintage AMT said:

That turned out very nice, 

Thanks Alex !

7 hours ago, David G. said:

After following your WIP on this one Bob, it's nice to see it finished.

Your work is beyond amazing, museum quality!

David G.

Thanks very much David !

7 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Superb work.

Thanks you Jim !

5 hours ago, fredo84 said:

Top notch 🎩🎩🎩

Thanks Fred !

4 hours ago, larman said:

Excellent job! 

Thanks Larry !

3 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking and such realistic trim and body proportions. Enjoyed watching your build on this and your attention to the smallest of trim details. 

Thanks very much David !

12 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

With all the work you put into this car, the accolades are well deserved. 

Thanks very much Patrick !

12 hours ago, kelson said:

Absolutely superb!!,i enjoyed every minute of your wip!.👍

Thank you Curtis !

• TooOld changed the title to 1969 RANCHERO GT "ONE OF A KIND"
On 8/7/2022 at 1:08 PM, espo said:

Beautiful looking and such realistic trim and body proportions. Enjoyed watching your build on this and your attention to the smallest of trim details. 

Thank you very much David !  Getting the rear window area and the B-pillar trim right was the toughest part of this build .