Model Cars Magazine Forum

NITRO MANIAC: an updated Johan 69 Javelin nostalgia funny-car... and paint experiment!

Claude Thibodeau

HI!

Those of us who lived the 60's Funny-Cars great expansion will remember three dominant features: 1- cars looked indeed like the cars they represented, 2- They had a "theme" or nickname (Bounty hunter, LA Hooker, The Snake, etc.) and 3- Most could double as show cars, featuring the wild  psychadelic "panel painting" & lettering techniques of the day. 

Meet NITRO MANIAC: a fantasy 69 Johan FC, restored from a glue bomb. The AMC 3 color paint scheme was stipped, the hood scoops shaved, the custom ft & rr ends kept in place but molded, and AMT's modified Trojan Horse M2 FC chassis slipped under the smoothed body (instead of the Logghe chassis of the kit). 

Scratchbuilt tin work, gas tank, chassis side-panels, barrel valve, wiring & plumbing, shifter, gas pedal and linkage, steering rod, etc. Home-made and parts box decals. Tamya's pure white, Silverleaf, Gunmetal, HOK Passion pearl, Testor's ice green, Mr.Hobby Topcoat clear, fully polished. Metallic gel pen pinstriping. Molotow's chrome. 

A paint experiment, and hours of fun with styrene! 

CT 

DSC01556 (2).JPG

DSC01560 (2).JPG

DSC01561 (2).JPG

DSC01562 (2).JPG

DSC01563 (2).JPG

DSC01565 (2).JPG

DSC01566 (2).JPG

DSC01570 (2).JPG

DSC01571 (2).JPG

DSC01577 (2).JPG

DSC01575 (2).JPG

• Like 7

Beautiful work Claude !

I think you always had a soft spot for those old AMC cars, at least that's what I remember from some of the comments you made on the old JoHan or AMT kits about that car manufacturer.

I myself have a soft spot for AMX, Javelin, Hornet and Rebel, so it's possible that I like the negligees more than I realize !

Great way to give a glue can a second life. Your good hands and vivid imagination are once again on full display here, even the spark plug wires match the body color, not to mention the air valve caps that are now your trademark !

Are you equipped to tow a trailer, it's going to take one for the Quebec show this fall and I hope our friends in the area are ready for THE Thibodeau wave, in any case, I am !!!

15 hours ago, skymnky721 said:

Amazing,,Always enjoy the AMC cars.

Hi Scott!

Count me in too! I'm still looking for a 3rd Javelin to modify. I have a promo in my stash, that I will probably complete as the concept station wagon that Harry Bradley created for Car Life Magazine in the late 60's. I still have the mag page over my bench, and it should get underway this fall. And a Hornet pro-touring too... 

There's already a Javelin pro-touring and a 4WD rallye Gremlin in my dispaly curio. Oh well...

So much styrene, so little time!

CT 

An absolute mind-blower!

Beautiful paint and decal work, you've really captured the feel of the era, I love the nitromethane formula on the front!

The running gear detail is top of the line too with all the delightful details you've added.

Outstanding work!

David G.

9 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Scott!

Count me in too! I'm still looking for a 3rd Javelin to modify. I have a promo in my stash, that I will probably complete as the concept station wagon that Harry Bradley created for Car Life Magazine in the late 60's. I still have the mag page over my bench, and it should get underway this fall. And a Hornet pro-touring too... 

There's already a Javelin pro-touring and a 4WD rallye Gremlin in my dispaly curio. Oh well...

So much styrene, so little time!

CT 

I hear ya,,I have the 1/20 MPC AMX kit ,built,,and a  old  Johan Dragon Lady AMX + the Johan amc scambler built,,but AMC kits are kindof hard to find,,I also have an original Pacer kit from back when built,,yours is wild,,wish I could airbrush like yours,,maybe someday Ill play around w/it.   And do the printing of my own decals off the web would be  good also.   Id like to do a pro Street Marlin,,with fat rear slicks,,and some hillborn injection stacks stikin out of the hood!   Lime green  w/a light  blue metalflake inset down the length of the side  body center.   Thanks for the inspirations!   Build on!  S

Edited by skymnky721

On 8/8/2022 at 8:49 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Beautiful work Claude !

I think you always had a soft spot for those old AMC cars, at least that's what I remember from some of the comments you made on the old JoHan or AMT kits about that car manufacturer.

I myself have a soft spot for AMX, Javelin, Hornet and Rebel, so it's possible that I like the negligees more than I realize !

Great way to give a glue can a second life. Your good hands and vivid imagination are once again on full display here, even the spark plug wires match the body color, not to mention the air valve caps that are now your trademark !

Are you equipped to tow a trailer, it's going to take one for the Quebec show this fall and I hope our friends in the area are ready for THE Thibodeau wave, in any case, I am !!!

Hi Francis!

Thanks for the kind words.

I do, indeed, have a soft spot for AMC... My next-door neighbour was an AMC dealer for a while, so... Waiting in my stash are a third first gen Javelin, and a Pacer. For the latter, I'd like to bring it to 21st century, in accord with a sketch that the famous Steve Stanford created a few years ago on commission from Hot Rod magazine (see below). We'll see...

As for the upcoming Quebec event, this october, I'm afraid I'll have to cherry pick among my "Covid collection". Oh well... 

CT

70 Pacer Concept.jpg

On 8/8/2022 at 10:14 PM, Chris in Berwyn said:

Paint is just amazing!  And you have made that AMT chassis look better than I thought possible!

Hi Chris!

Thank you. I bought the kit from a guy who was discouraged by the fact that the frame sides were badly twisted, probably by being pulled-out of the mold while still soft. I had to heat it with a candle, which is tricky, and had just one glitch, that I hid with slightly longer scratchbuild side panels.

And there is a built-in "flaw" in the front suspension: the driver's side lower torsion beam "arm" is drilled in such a way that it mounts the front axle in mis-alignement out of the box. Had to do delicate "surgery" to correct it. Turned out OK!  The Donovan Hemi is nice, however. 

CT