Model Cars Magazine Forum

1940 Willys Truck

I'm going to try this one, although I have heard that getting the front end to open and close properly may be problematic.  Next years' contest here in Houston will have a theme of "Anything you can eat or drink". So I found some Steak and Shake stickers that my grandchildren had for one of the little cars that they were giving away with a meal one year. They weren't interested in the stickers so I kept them. I think they might make a good sponsor for this truck and the round stickers should work on the doors. I'll add some other race sponsor decals and it should all work.  

I'm going with black and white which are the Steak and Shake colors. I started by mocking up the hinging for the cab and front hood/fender unit. Looks like it should work to me but lets see after paint.  Today, I got everything painted except I might add some black once I figure out where.  Everything else will be box stock, no wiring, etc. Just a quick build, I hope. Thanks for looking! 😎
enhance

enhance

enhance

Edited by ModelcarJR
grammar
  • Like 1

Thanks, Brad! I appreciate your comment! 

i built the bed box and that turned out pretty well considering that there were no pins or slots. But I wanted to add one more paint detail to help with the Steak and Shake theme. Now I can finish building the truck since everything is painted. If you are familiar with Steak and Shake restaurants what does the top remind you of?

enhance

enhance

enhance

• Like 1

So I finished the interior and installed it.  I didn't spend any time on it as it is a real piece of art. Then I mocked it up again with the hood and couldn't get everything to line up. Normally happens in the middle of getting the build together. So, I'm no engineer, but I've built a few hinges before and I thought there must be an easier way to hinge the hood than what the model manufacturer dreamed up. I taped the hood to the cab and held it together with the frame and bed. turned it upside down and marked where I thought hinge arms should go. Then I scratched on the frame through the grill opening where the hinge keeper should go. Then I cut three pieces of 3/32" plastic tube and one piece of .032" brass rod. The brass rod was about 1 3/4" long. The plastic tube keeper is about 3/4" long that mounts on the frame and the other two tubes were about 1/2" long each, hence the 1/3/4" length of brass rod. I superglued the 1/2" tubes where I had marked on the inner fenders. Inserted the brass rod in the other piece of tube, bent it at equal lengths on each side and glued the tube to the front of the frame. Here are the photos. Hopefully it will go together better once the chassis is complete and everything is glued together. I may not have room for the moon tank but I'll just have to live with it. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

• Like 1

When I built mine several years ago, I did my hinge just as you did, except, I reversed the process. I glued the two pieces to the top of the frame rails and the single piece on the lower edge of the nose piece just below the grille opening. Either way is much better than the AMT way. Looking forward to more progress on your Willys.  I have three kits with various parts missing but sufficient pieces to build at least three more versions of this kit - one of my favorite kits.

Thanks, Bob, Ricky, Mike and Carl! I appreciate your comments! 

I got the hood closure about as tight as I could on the hinge but it still needed something to line it up better on both sides. So I added some strip plastic to the edge of the fender bulge on the body. That way I could make sure it lines up on both sides. Then I glued the hinge uprights to the body so that it won't move and I won't be able to take it off either. To finish, I added the Steak and Shake stickers and made a decal for the hood with their motto "In sight it must be right".  Their grill in visible to the counter at each restaurant , thus the motto. The decal is on white decal paper and the black ink rubbed or flaked off a bit but it will have to do. I left the taillights off as I didn't like them and don't think they are necessary.  I added some other racing sponsor decals and its done! Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

• Like 4