Model Cars Magazine Forum

TWO Ferrari 599's , GTO and SA Aperta

Rich Chernosky

Building two kits at once is an interesting challenge. You have to be organized and pay close attention to details. But the reward is some time saved. These two kits were very similar and shared may parts. This is time saved sorting parts, sub-assemlies and painting.  Color on these two was Testors 2918 Guards red  with Model Master clear.  These were painted and polished about 9yrs ago. Besides the bodies, there were interior differences as well and were treated seperately. The Ferrari 599 chassis is the basis for both these cars and they  also share the same drivetrain but are tuned just a little differently. The GTO is only slightly faster than the SA Aperta and both were the fastest Front engine Ferrari's produced. Detail notes on the construction under the picture captions. Thanks for looking. 

DSC07745.JPG.84bf482b7e449ed268b7c9e268263016.JPG

Finished models together.  The SA Aperta (open top) have slightly different hoods and front end treatment.

DSC07746.JPG.f5bb976afbf1ef2dc21770343a637213.JPG

Rear view shows different diffusers and venting

DSC07747.JPG.70840e01de4b6591e3510c989cbac4f8.JPG

The GTO has a carbon fibre roof and panels. Those mirrors took 3 pieces of CF each to do. It was fussy work. 

DSC07748.JPG.dbd69d8bffabf039042f8576b27cd1d5.JPG

The SA Aperta with its top off.  The silver trim represents stainless steel and was painted with MR Color SM204  Super Stainless 2.  This is unlike any silver I have airbrushed. Very very fine grain and a silky smooth finish.

DSC07749.JPG.576655376bc7f9fe76d0589957158fcf.JPG

The SA Aperta with its top in.

DSC07754.JPG.87bdc40e7577384a7dcc0a7389b9a232.JPG

Interior on the Aperta.  Very sharp. The red piping was decals provide in the kit. Applying them took some serious patience and they still had to be coated with clear flat.

DSC07755.JPG.3850b731750c021df277667f566e507d.JPG

Engine detail on both cars was identical except for the  one decal. This is the GTO engine. Fit and finish on both models was very good with only a few minor problems. Bodies went on the chassis smoothly (which is a relief) but only after I removed both radiators. They can't be seen anyway but it turns out I installed them wrong and they should have have more angle.

• Like 4

nice to see that my Huayra build apparently made all these exotics come out in the light. 

Your two 599s look absolutely great in their matching red outfits. The Sa Aperta is basically a convertible GTO. That name by the way caused quite the stir when the car came out, as a lot of people disagreed with it and thought the car did not deserve it. Anyway...I am surprised how well that testors paint held up over the years. The interior of the Aperta turned out really nice too. I am in desperate need of those seats by the way, for an upcoming project. 

I have had a couple of 599 Ferraris from Revell, but butchered them and have never build one. I just recently picked up a 599GTO, which is still sealed. I was thinking about finding an Aperta model and doing basically what you did - build them side by side, except I would make them different colors. I know what you're saying bout building the two models side by side at the same time. It can get confusing and sometimes overwhelming, but I think it has more benefits than shortcomings. 

Either way, you got two great models of two truly amazing cars. Keep the exotics coming!

12 hours ago, mrm said:

nice to see that my Huayra build apparently made all these exotics come out in the light. 

Your two 599s look absolutely great in their matching red outfits. The Sa Aperta is basically a convertible GTO. That name by the way caused quite the stir when the car came out, as a lot of people disagreed with it and thought the car did not deserve it. Anyway...I am surprised how well that testors paint held up over the years. The interior of the Aperta turned out really nice too. I am in desperate need of those seats by the way, for an upcoming project. 

I have had a couple of 599 Ferraris from Revell, but butchered them and have never build one. I just recently picked up a 599GTO, which is still sealed. I was thinking about finding an Aperta model and doing basically what you did - build them side by side, except I would make them different colors. I know what you're saying bout building the two models side by side at the same time. It can get confusing and sometimes overwhelming, but I think it has more benefits than shortcomings. 

Either way, you got two great models of two truly amazing cars. Keep the exotics coming!

Michael..thank you for the lengthy reply.  Saw your Huayra WIP....it was amazing.  And thanks for the extra info and compliments. Most of my collection spanning some 50+ yrs is all exotics, sports cars and racing.....1000+ pieces. So you are in good company. Next up is that Aoshima Pagani Zonda C12S...but that may take awhile. 

12 hours ago, Jim B said:

Great looking Ferraris.

Thank you

12 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Super builds Rich as always.  Your attention to detail is exemplary and your descriptions most useful.

Gary...thank you for the support...it keeps me going

15 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Super builds Rich as always.  Your attention to detail is exemplary and your descriptions most useful.

x 2 - as Gary said, Rich: I especially like reading your comments and descriptions. I'm not sure if I had managed to apply the red interior piping decals - looks a bit intimidating!

On 8/10/2022 at 10:14 AM, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

Thanks

On 8/10/2022 at 12:55 PM, 1959scudetto said:

x 2 - as Gary said, Rich: I especially like reading your comments and descriptions. I'm not sure if I had managed to apply the red interior piping decals - looks a bit intimidating!

Thank you Helmut. Always a pleasure getting comments and compliments from you.  If I hadn't put decals like this on before I would probably be intimidated too. To be honest they wern't near as bad as a couple of John Player Lotii (is that right) I did. 

On 8/10/2022 at 1:33 PM, Brudda said:

Yes yes yes!!!!

Bruce...thanks, thanks thanks

23 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Very nice. I like both of them. 

Thanks...glad you did. 

22 hours ago, thebavarian said:

Great cars in a perfect red color.

Thank you, red has always been my favorite

14 hours ago, ATHU said:

Super nice Ferraris, well done!!

Thank you for the compliment

12 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Fine looking pair, well done!

Thanks Larry

11 hours ago, Speedpro said:

Nice pair of ferraris. I like the interior on the Sa Aperta. The piping looks good on the seats.

Speedpro

That interior is one of my favorites too...the piping is decal. Usually I use thin vinyl tape but the decals were included in the kit. Even though they were very fussy they turned out well.