Model Cars Magazine Forum

196w2Dodge "Dragon" 413 roadster/racer (phantom)

W Humble

This is constructed of two crushed Revell '62 Dodge 'Polara' 4-dr HTs, one that I had in storage since '68, another from a friend.  They were horrible, so I decided to build a phantom drag-racing offering I call the Dodge Dragon, two seater, shortened wheelbase, and grille-induction 413 B-Motor.  Since I had two hoods, I made two versions: one with single scoop, like the factory comp version, and another I like better with streamlined scoops.  The color is genuine 'Hemi Orange', the one-year exterior color.  The slicks are old 'cheaters' but this was not supposed to represent an AWB racer, but a factory model for racing, ala Hellcat.  I posed it next to a promo photo of a convertible.  As a Chevy/Pontiac guy, I don't much care for Dodges, but...  couldn't resist!      WickDSCN0167.thumb.JPG.32fc5f40adb30617c93c128855b1f6a4.JPG

DSCN0189.JPG

DSCN0174.JPG

DSCN0178.JPG

DSCN0169.JPG

DSCN0182.JPG

• Like 1

It was pre-Molotow; could have been better!  Still, it got a 3rd in closed wheel comp at the IPMS meet in Yuba City CA last year. :-<)  It's sad -- and kind of a shock -- to find that your  vision isn't telling you the truth about what your fingers can't do anymore!  Beware~ Wick at 77

That was sort of the idea, but with exhibition stock racing as the goal.  There were a lot of Detroit one-offs out there; the SD Pontiac Tempest 421's, Ford T-Bolt/Mercury Super Cyclone, a '64 Dodge roadster with blower and parachute.  I remember seeing an NHRA class 'Super Factory Experimental', above A/FX.  It was the predecessor of the AWB cars and later Funnies.  I never like the styling of the '62 Dodge; everything seemed to be fighting everything else, and Exners reversion to the old Studebaker peaked rear window (his design, too) was out of synch with other competitors; obviously it was deleted for '63!  As was Ex!  This seemed like a way to fix the look, though I'm not sure It was any more than 'different, not better'.  Glad, however, that you like it -- for sure!  I posted my '62 Plymouth 'restyle' on another forum.  WIck

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words; I know this car doesn't photograph very well, but my eyesight fools me into thinking my work is better than it is!

I imagine that most big-league modelers know the trick of the intake hoses: a spring inside a length of heat-shrink tubing, often formed over a piece of hard wire.  Not for pressurized hoses, like McCulloch blower, but okay for intake from scoop or air filter.  I got the idea for the 2X4 intakes from the Dodge turbine-car mule (there was a Plymouth one also in '62) that Chrysler publicized a lot in the magazines.  Both sacrificed their inner headlight assemblies for the 'suck' tubing.  These might have used a spring of too much diameter, but ball-point pen springs (what in '62 I kept trying to substitute for leaf springs or solid coils ) work well for smaller ones.  I keep a whole drawer of salvaged springs; small electric blender motors supplied these.  Wick

• 1 month later...

Alan,  Thank you so much for the approval; I like the treatment too (note the early 'Vair air cleaners?)  A committed gearhead nephew just loves the Dodge, and I'm going to leave it to him!!

The hoses are made by putting a coil spring (ex-blender motor) inside heat-shrink tubing with a piece of thick solder for a temporary armature, then warming; viola: low-pressure tubes.  I use various sizes (ball-point 'click' pens are perennial!) and recently for a scratched McCulloch blower intake for a Maisto 1:16 DC remod '53 Stude.  Note: a lot of Maisto (Thai) 1:16 DC's have really neat V-12 plug wiring harnesses on V-8 motors!  

Thanks again; this rescued kit(s) got a third place at the 2021 IPMS show in Yuba City CA.    Even with the bad BMF!     Wick

Really appreciate feedback guys; it was the result of trying to build one car from two busted up kits -- and having two hoods left!  I made a little easel for the 'spare' one, whichever on is not on the car.  The orange is PPF 'Hemi Orange', what our Mgr, a MoPar racer from 'the day' says is a one year exterior hue.  Who knew? But it has subtle metallic flakes in it, and I have a whole gallon, in JE arcrylic direct-gloss enamel.  Wish I could give you a pour-off!  Wick

Not vets club, but I once 'starred' in a TV spot for the Vets Services at CSUC: I was to pretend to be a hitchhiker (in 1970) and vainly thumb for a ride, all the cars passing me by forlorn with my back-pack while a voice-over asks vets if they are getting anywhere, and suggests that they utilize Vets Service Office.  However, EVERYONE tried to give me a ride that day, and I was forced to (red-faced) explain the situation; not all thought it was funny, either!  I wasn't picked for my handsome puss, but for the fact that my GI haircut hadn't grown out yet, and I didn't look like a Deadhead!  I got my MA in '73. And recently celebrated our 50th Anniversary! Wick + Benita~

• Like 1

I'd ask my Dad (He's 85) if he remembers you, but his dementia has made it impossible to get answers to those kind of questions. He was heavily involved in the Vet's Club and Veteran's Services when he was in school.

Neat story, about my Dad. When he was at Chico State, they had a '62 VW Bug. Just before Christmas it died. No Compression and a 'holed' piston. My Dad bought the parts and rebuilt that 4 banger on the kitchen table in the 2 bedroom apartment they rented just off campus. And got it back in the car 2 days before We had Christmas Dinner.