Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kaiser-Jeep M54A2 progress

Posted some pics of this earlier, but here's where it's gotten to. Big pieces are all together now--just some windshield pieces and small bits to add. From here I'll start the gun box, which is scratch built. But it's mostly flat shapes so should be fairly straightforward. The box is slightly more complicated than just a single wall box, but that's part of the fun. I'm into this about 300 parts so far. These kits are way over-engineered and don't fit all that well. But this is an interesting project, nonetheless.

As I've searched for reference photos, I've discovered that there were at least five different versions of this truck. Mine won't be 100% accurate to any particular version. I'll combine features I like, I guess.

butterfly3.jpg

m54chassis.jpeg

m54chassis2.jpeg

m54chassis3.jpeg

m54dash.jpeg

m54inprogress4jpeg.jpeg

m54inprogress5.jpeg

m54inprogress6.jpeg

m54inprogress7.jpeg

m54inprogress8.jpeg

m54inprogress9.jpeg

m54inprogress10.jpeg

Edited by Terry Jessee
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Terry Jessee said:

Wow. That would have been a treasure.

It was! I assume you know about the Guntruck books by James Lytle.  Very good references.  I have my own M-37 guntruck, 1:1 scale.   Pair of M60's, there weren't many of them as the weight of the armor slowed them to a crawl and they broke down often.  The progression from M151 to M37 to M35 to M54 was quick.

6 hours ago, Warren D said:

It was! I assume you know about the Guntruck books by James Lytle.  Very good references.  I have my own M-37 guntruck, 1:1 scale.   Pair of M60's, there weren't many of them as the weight of the armor slowed them to a crawl and they broke down often.  The progression from M151 to M37 to M35 to M54 was quick.

Plus the books by David Doyle and Timothy Kutta, yes. Research can be half the fun.