Model Cars Magazine Forum

2 current trends that I can't get with in the automotive industry. 

1. Black rims. I just dont get it. Not a fan and never will be a fan.

2. Non metallic colors. To me it makes the car/truck look plain Jane.

Agreements / Disagreements? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Slotto said:

2 current trends that I can't get with in the automotive industry. 

1. Black rims. I just dont get it. Not a fan and never will be a fan.

2. Non metallic colors. To me it makes the car/truck look plain Jane.

Agreements / Disagreements? 

I also never got that whole black rims thing.

My other pet peeve is the people who paint SS stereo stripes on everything. 442 trunk lids, '69 and '68 Chevelles, even Fords and Mopars.  ??????????????

I agree with the black rim thing.

Just heinous!

Non-metallic colors are okay with me, but I believe what you are referring to are colors like the clear coated primer gray that seems to be becoming somewhat popular.

I'll agree in that instance.

Not attractive in the least!

But then again, the unattractive colors go along with the unattractive styling of most cars today, so it's a great match! :rolleyes:

Steve

not a fan of black wheels - but the next rig will probably get them now that we are having to deal with mag chloride as a road deicer.  When the clear coat on the wheels gets a rock chip, the mag chloride turns the spot black.

Edited by Muncie

Somewhat related, I'm not all about the 'murdered out' (wherever that phrase came from) all-black-everything trend on older cars right now.  Black wheels, paint the all the chrome black, all-black interior, black body, tinted windows, tinted lights...doesn't do anything for me.

Ditto the stupid extreme-camber fad, that I hope goes away soon.  It's just donks, all over again (but this time, the opposite! 🤪

• Like 1

I'm also not a fan of the black painted wheels. I blame this on age as much as anything else. We used to paint our steel wheels black, or some other color because that's all we could afford. Painting a perfectly good mag wheel black and lose all the detail of the wheel just doesn't make sense. I understand this is the new "polished wheels" look of today, but I still don't get it.  I blame some of this on the OEM manufactures since this seems to be the style on many of the higher end cars and trucks today. Last year we got a new Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk for my wife. They wanted an extra $900 for the painted wheels, which we passed on. They finally dealer traded for a Cherokee that would work for her, without the wheels painted. These are the same whees but with a polished lip and raised trim parts of the wheel and the rest is sort of a dark gray color at no extra cost.  

1 hour ago, Mike 1017 said:

I think that it is just the natural evolution of people's tastes . Old Geezers vs Young Guns.

I don't know if it's that so much as it is mostly non-car-people doing vehicle design.

Folks with shiny little degrees in industrial design who'd be just as happy doing toasters or refrigerators or toilets or phones are going to be more prone to the monkey-see, monkey-do school of design than people who live and breathe cars, and know vehicle design history in depth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, espo said:

I'm also not a fan of the black painted wheels. I blame this on age as much as anything else. We used to paint our steel wheels black, or some other color because that's all we could afford. Painting a perfectly good mag wheel black and lose all the detail of the wheel just doesn't make sense. I understand this is the new "polished wheels" look of today, but I still don't get it.  I blame some of this on the OEM manufactures since this seems to be the style on many of the higher end cars and trucks today. Last year we got a new Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk for my wife. They wanted an extra $900 for the painted wheels, which we passed on. They finally dealer traded for a Cherokee that would work for her, without the wheels painted. These are the same whees but with a polished lip and raised trim parts of the wheel and the rest is sort of a dark gray color at no extra cost.  

My thoughts exactly. Dealer wanted $1100 more for the blacked out wheels on my Durango, I passed.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Car manufacturers would make a killing if they came up with wheels painted the same color as the dust that comes off of the brake pads, or brake pads that gave off dust the same color as the wheels...

That may be part of the reason black as well as gunmetal or titanium colors, they hide the brake dust better than brighter and or polished/plated finishes.

I guess I am the odd one out here. I just ordered a new Subaru Ascent.  I ordered it with the Onyx package.  It is all black trim. It has black rims, I like the look on this car. I plan to replace the wheels a I am going go with black.  I am also reducing the wheel size from 20 to 18in. 

Normally I would not like the black wheels,  but on this car it looks right to me.

45 minutes ago, RichCostello said:

I don't like the large diameter wheels, and rubber band tires, they just look stupid. Anything over 18 inches look horrible, especially on older cars.

Depending on the size and or purpose of the car, those large wheels are necessary for larger brakes, especially on larger and/or high horsepower cars and trucks as well as heavy work trucks.

Speaking to the original proposal: 
1.) Black rims - are you referring to plain steel wheels? Coloured alloys? I'm going to presume it's the latter; if so, I agree. Boring and bland.
2.) Non-metallic body colours - Presuming that you're referring to solid colours (greys, reds, whites), I also agree -- to an extent. Bright colours look like crrap on newer vehicles. Makes them look like Happy Meal Toys... on already bland, uninspired designs.

Frankly, I'm more annoyed by and frustrated with all of the techie garbage and "safety" junk. Automatic braking? So, the raving homeless guy in Downtown Los Angeles who's waving a rusty machete and verbally threatening me is more important than my or my passengers' lives? WRONG! try again! 
When I operate a vehicle, I enjoy simplicity -- I don't enjoy having to feel like I'm firing up the got damned Space Shuttle just to go around the block! 
TPMS, seat belt buzzers, back-up alarms, back-up cameras, and/or anything with a flippin' screen I can gladly do without.

Stylling-wise? Like @Ace-Garageguymentioned: twits with college debt and a worthless degree -- and zero practical experience -- are the ones "designing" these hideous door stop looking junk boxes. I've seen countless "Crossover" (or whatever they're called) things that have Jaguar or Maserati  marques on them, that look no different from a Kia or other generic tripe. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I dont really mind any of the trends. I dont get why donks seem to have candy brand wraps but I enjoy seeing them race, butat the same time i wouldn't want to own one. Same goes with some of the ridiculously lifted trucks, but the engineering done to acheive the right look is nice to see on show. As long as folk are having fun with cars, it helps us all. Theres even classic tuners starting to appear at goodguys events and that can only be a good thing as it exposses other styles into the mix. It would be pretty boring if modified cars stopped at flathead 32s or pro street camaros, not that theres anything wrong with them. The cars myself and my peers could afford were cheap front wheel drive hatchbacks but it didn't stop us modifying them. Sure none of the "mods (lol)" I'd do now and I'd try to guide kids in a safer way (saving time cutting down the front springs by simply cutting one in half, first bump they fell out, lol) but thats half the fun of playing with cars, we all start somewhere and I'm sure dave kindig and chip foose have some embarassing mods in their history. We dont have to like everything people build but surely we can like that they like cars too?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

Theres even classic tuners starting to appear at goodguys events and that can only be a good thing as it exposses other styles into the mix.

I'm pleased to see clean 80's Toyota, Mazda, Datsun/Nissan cars and pickups around again. Where have these been hiding?!? Some are absolute time capsules! Makes me long for the days of RWD Corollas, Supras, Nissan 240 (the 1980's-early 1990's model), etc.
The unfortunate "side effect" are those asinine "Stanced" abhorrent kidney punishers. Take an otherwise nice vehicle and completely ruin it. 
Young, dumb, and full of _____.  

3 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Somewhat related, I'm not all about the 'murdered out' (wherever that phrase came from) all-black-everything trend on older cars right now.  Black wheels, paint the all the chrome black, all-black interior, black body, tinted windows, tinted lights...doesn't do anything for me.

For me, it's not just black either.

The "monochromatic" faze that cars have been going through for the past several decades, holds no interest for me.

Variations in colors and finishes are what make a car interesting to me.

A huge, entirely red blob just accentuates the obligatory "jelly bean" look that loses all of the styling appeal of a car in my opinion.

But again, as I stated in my last post, when the styling is as dull as a butter knife to start with, why would you want to accentuate anything I suppose.

Steve

4 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I agree with the black rim thing.

Just heinous!

Non-metallic colors are okay with me, but I believe what you are referring to are colors like the clear coated primer gray that seems to be becoming somewhat popular.

I'll agree in that instance.

Not attractive in the least!

But then again, the unattractive colors go along with the unattractive styling of most cars today, so it's a great match! :rolleyes:

Steve

Agreed. That primer grey with the clearcoat is hideous!

• Like 1