Model Cars Magazine Forum

3 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I read about a while back. Something to do with bumper height.

Yeah not sure, but it should be outlawed along with pulling out cat converters.  Some of them trucks be high like them guys with there empire state building antennas on the back of there truck like there trying to contact jesus. 

Edited by Dpate

27 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

God, no! I never understood the reasoning for those 20 inch rims. They’re the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen.

Those are not 20 inch. A lot of those Camaros come FROM THE FACTORY with 20s. Those are 32 inch.

1 hour ago, Dpate said:

The way the light hits your truck it almost looks like a grey now lol.  I bet the avalanche grey will look beautiful.  Grey is my favorite color almost all shades of it lol.

Ford had Avalanche Grey on the Raptor a couple of years ago. I loved it. So as soon as I saw it was back, that settled it. I almost went with Area 51 Blue, but you can't get it with the Black package and I really wanted that.

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

But dont'cha miss those florescent pink double wiper blades and self-stick phone antennas ! 😁

In 1992, I had a 1986 Hyundai Stellar in sort of a Pewter/Champagne colour. I was 18, and put a set of white double wiper blades it it. With the matching white wiper arm boot. Lasted a month or so, before I got fed up with not being able to see in the rain!

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

Hasn't the "Carolina Squat" on pickups been outlawed?

1 hour ago, Dpate said:

Never heard such a thing.  

Yup, in some states, Carolina Squat has been made illegal. Google or YouTube that nonsense. Holy moly. 🤡

10 minutes ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

I think the shiny primer grey new cars are hilarious. 

You would probably get a chuckle from the plethora of rattlecan flat-black late models that seem to be a local fad around here. Totally dorkotronic.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

One trend I'm sick to death of is the gasser treatment. They're like a Donk, only with smaller wheels. They were cool in the '60s. But, that was 60 years ago! I would rather drive a Donk! 

Another is steel wheels and hubcaps! Anyone not around in the '60's thinks every muscle car came from the factory with them! There isn't more of a "me too" trend around. 

used to like the [colloq.] "Gasser" look, but since it's been done to death and oftentimes incorrectly (disc brakes, modern tyres/wheels, etc.).

Steel wheels with hubcaps -- that's one which I've always liked. Maybe it has to do with my artistic side... different manufacturers had unique designs for their base model vehicles (Ford's "crown" hubcaps, especially those on the F250 & F350, were a favourite of mine for years; Chevy C/K series hubcaps, especially the c.1964-1966 & 1967-1978 versions; same with the deluxe wheel covers of the 1967-1974 pickups; and Dodge's 1969-1975 hubcaps).
But, now a days, people are putting them on in place of the original wheels/wheel covers! Or, perhaps worse yet, 18"+ wheels with stock (reproduction) hubcaps! Looks awful! 
Certainly, back in the day (I was born in 1970), the standard steelies/hubcaps didn't stay on the hotter cars for long -- those were mostly on fleet or pedestrian cars and trucks.

4 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

You would probably get a chuckle from the plethora of rattlecan flat-black late models that seem to be a local fad around here. Totally dorkotronic.

Or those satin finish factory paint jobs I've seen on a few Tesla models around! Then there's the I-had-someone-paint-my-new-car-with-satin-finish-paint poodle poop. 
I understand that, by all outward appearances, the satin finish doesn't require tedious polishing and waxing. I can't understand why someone would drop six-figures for a car whose paint looks more drab than that on my 2004 Crown Victoria 'P71'!

Then there's the ad absurdum "Patina" look. Since when did a complete rust bucket --many times made to look like that-- become "patina"?

18 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Or those satin finish factory paint jobs I've seen on a few Tesla models around! Then there's the I-had-someone-paint-my-new-car-with-satin-finish-paint poodle poop. 
I understand that, by all outward appearances, the satin finish doesn't require tedious polishing and waxing. I can't understand why someone would drop six-figures for a car whose paint looks more drab than that on my 2004 Crown Victoria 'P71'!

Then there's the ad absurdum "Patina" look. Since when did a complete rust bucket --many times made to look like that-- become "patina"?

Neighbor had his Mercedes wrapped with a satin finish and it looks amazing.

11 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I don't know if it's that so much as it is mostly non-car-people doing vehicle design.

Folks with shiny little degrees in industrial design who'd be just as happy doing toasters or refrigerators or toilets or phones are going to be more prone to the monkey-see, monkey-do school of design than people who live and breathe cars, and know vehicle design history in depth.

You mean folks like Raymond Loewy and Brooks Stevens?  They've done some cool toaster designs in their day.

How do you know today's designers aren't passionate about their job?

12 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

But then again, the unattractive colors go along with the unattractive styling of most cars today, so it's a great match! :rolleyes:

Steve

That might be my description of muscle cars.  😛

Edited by Brian Austin
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Brian Austin said:

They work for BMW or Ferrari. Good, turned bad and ugly. 

Good ones seem to work for McLaren, Kia/Hyundai, Aston, few others. Sad. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Steel wheels with hubcaps -- that's one which I've always liked.

I agree.

In my opinion, it gave the older cars, (especially muscle cars from the mid to late 60s an "all business" appeal.

Granted, If you bought a new Roadrunner in '69 with dog dish caps, they were likely headed to the parts box very soon after the car got home, and I do agree that they've been a little over done in recent years, but I like them depending on the application.

In some cases, there weren't a lot of factory options back then.

For instance, the Hemi equipped Dodges in 1968 were either equipped with steelies and poverty caps, or the "Charger 15" caps".

Those were your choices from the factory.

Steve

8 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

Just look at their work. Soulless me-too me-too lookalike trash, most of it, obviously committee-generated overwrought trash.

EDIT: But hey...at least this mess is marginally better than its predecessor.

New 2019 Nissan Juke to cost from £17,395 | Auto Express

2018 Nissan JUKE update now on sale in Australia | PerformanceDrive

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY

You just have to face reality at some point, and real talent is rare in anything, including having a sense of line, volume, and proportion, i.e. the sculptural design of a vehicle.

A room full of mediocre talents on a committee is no substitute for ONE person with outstanding talent, and talent is not redefined by the mindless quest for "equity".

But pity the poor fool who stands up and says the emperor has no clothes.

OMG!!! OMG!!! RUN IN CIRCLES WITH HAIR ON FIRE!!!

EDIT: One big problem with talent is that it's only really recognized by equal talent. So if you have a talentless hack running a design department, he's likely to surround himself with similar mediocrities, and mediocre work is the result.

Someone wise once said "genius recognizes genius; talent recognizes talent; but mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself”.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1