Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebuis 1965 Cyclone

unclescott58

Here it is, my build of Moebuis Models 1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone. Over the years I purchased maybe a dozen of Moebuis’ car and truck kits. Plus other science fiction and figure kits they’ve put out. I’ve been pretty happy with their sci-fi and figure kits I’ve built. Their car and truck kits, not as much. 

Even though my Moebuis Cyclone turned out okay. Their were several things I was not happy with. Mainly the manner in which the front grille, and front and rear bumpers are mounted. I ended up do some minor damage to a fairly nice paint job, installing both the front grille and rear bumper. There is no real positive mounting provision for the front grille. And the stubs for mounting the front and rear bumpers are a total pain to use. And I question how they will hold on to the bumpers in the long run. Plus, Moebuis is fairly famous for their accuracy, yet they missed a minor thing like the standard dash mounted tachometer that the ‘65 Cyclones came with. Or the optional three gauge group that could take the place of the standard tach. Minor. And maybe a little picky on my part. But, I’m just not as impressed with Moebuis’ car and truck kits as other are out their. 

Despite my complaints, I like the choice of car and truck kits Moebuis keep bring to us. So, I’ll keep buying them. I’m just not so sure how quick I’ll be in building them. 

9F566544-9E60-4645-B793-9C0F0AA4476E.jpeg

D2FE6AEB-1476-410F-9149-8EEEB616595C.jpeg

CBD122EE-A717-4A3D-B880-F5739D9283AB.jpeg

2A6CC167-45E4-4641-9E8D-476022C0F3CB.jpeg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Looks good, Scott - just a question: did you lift it up a bit or is this the stock ride height as given by the kit?

Thank you. And that is “stock” height, which is another one of the things I did not like about the kit. 

Edited by unclescott58

5 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Nice.

4 hours ago, Zippi said:

Pretty good looking 65 Cyclone.

3 hours ago, Kah puts said:

That Mercury looks fantastic. 

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Very nice Cyclone Scott👌

2 hours ago, charger74 said:

It looks very good 

Thank you gentlemen. Your all very kind. I appreciate it. 

Great looking paint finish and this shade of blue looks good on this body. Your issues with the mounting of the bumpers and grill are not an uncommon problem. Consider adding some additional glue mounting tabs when this is a problem. I like the stock appearance of your build. 

Good looking Cyclone Scott , despite the issues it turned out great !  I'm a bit surprised that it sits so high built out of the box , along with the bumper mounting issues I guess it's no different than any other kit . I've bought most of the Moebius kits but still haven't built one , thanks for the info .

On 8/11/2022 at 7:21 AM, ChrisR said:

Nice!

On 8/11/2022 at 8:26 AM, drodg said:

Very nice.  I have that kit but haven't tackled it yet.  Thanks for the pointers on the bumpers.

On 8/11/2022 at 9:51 AM, espo said:

Great looking paint finish and this shade of blue looks good on this body. Your issues with the mounting of the bumpers and grill are not an uncommon problem. Consider adding some additional glue mounting tabs when this is a problem. I like the stock appearance of your build. 

On 8/11/2022 at 3:15 PM, TooOld said:

Good looking Cyclone Scott , despite the issues it turned out great !  I'm a bit surprised that it sits so high built out of the box , along with the bumper mounting issues I guess it's no different than any other kit . I've bought most of the Moebius kits but still haven't built one , thanks for the info .

On 8/11/2022 at 4:04 PM, thebavarian said:

Very nice car. I like Moebius kits. The only one I built is the Plymouth Sattelite, without great problems .

On 8/11/2022 at 5:00 PM, bogger44 said:

Very nice looking Cyclone, definitely looks good in that color.  I've only built one of the AFX'ers, but do seem to remember the bumpers being a bit fiddly to install.  I had to trim up the rear window a little too.

4 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Thank you for your kind comments gentlemen. 

Edited by unclescott58