Model Cars Magazine Forum

Applying Small Decals

I've gotten to where I make a lot of my own, with the inkjet printer. I can use a crisp image, reduce it to the size I need it (using MS Word, or a free equivalent, like OpenOffice), print it, then use a hole punch, to cut it out. They can be applied, as usual, or, they can simply be glued into place in the dash. If you don't have access to a printer, gauges can sometimes be found on other decal sheets, as well.

Wet the surface you're applying the decal to with Micro Set, move the decal into position with a round-tip toothpick, use a Tamiya craft swab to suck up the surface moisture (without touching the decal, if possible) when the decal is where you want it. 

When I have the shakes, I grasp both hands together and use my fore finger and thumb to hold paint brush or a toothpick. I keep both elbows on the table and secure whatever I am working on {dashboard} so it doesn't move around. Magnifier reading glasses will help.

Good luck

Mike

PS If it is the coupe no one is gonna see them anyway.

5 hours ago, Mike 1017 said:

When I have the shakes, I grasp both hands together and use my fore finger and thumb to hold paint brush or a toothpick. I keep both elbows on the table and secure whatever I am working on {dashboard} so it doesn't move around. Magnifier reading glasses will help.

Good luck

Mike

PS If it is the coupe no one is gonna see them anyway.

I do those things, as well. Yeah, it's the coupe. Building a replica of the car one of my professors had when I was in college. Got to ride in it once. What a thrill. He sold me my first dirt bike after I graduated and we rode together some. He's gone now. Those were some good times.

17 hours ago, Miatatom said:

I do those things, as well. Yeah, it's the coupe. Building a replica of the car one of my professors had when I was in college. Got to ride in it once. What a thrill. He sold me my first dirt bike after I graduated and we rode together some. He's gone now. Those were some good times.

I lived near Foreman Imports in Chicago. My friend and I were sitting there on our bikes. watching them unload cars from the transport truck. One of the salesmen said, 'Come on kids lets go for a ride" He gave each of us a 5-minute ride in a brand new XKE convertible.

Memories!!

• Like 1

Tom...just recently finished the kit you are working on.  The secret is in the tweezers.  The craft stores sell a pair that come to a very fine point.  Not exactly cheap. They are used for small paper craft work and very sharp. . These tweezers grab all the way down to the tip and will hold the fine edge of the most delicate decals. Slide the decal to the edge of the paper til just a little bit is over the edge. Apply the decal to a spot of solvent.  You can use the tip to move it into position. Everybody elses tips were spot on. I am 74 and don't have that shaky hnds but I do have ancient eyes. Comes with the territory I guess. 

PS...don't drop these on the floor. They ALWAYS land right on those tips and ruin them. 

These are no 1/25 gagues but the fact that I was able to get them on without screwing up even a single one is a minor miracle. These are from the Fireball vintage off road light kit. Now I managed to get them on the old school way (lukewarm water only) minutes ago. Do you think I should go back and drip some of the decal solution on them or just leave well enough alone. 20220812_155657.thumb.jpg.b1edb1711ddd5edbd9b172ddafe4c9e8.jpg

You can either spray them with Dull Coat or Clear Coat. The waterslide decals are hard to work with especially the tiny ones. If you don't cut them out close to perfect sometimes the film gets in the way. It can get pretty frustrating. I also bought a set of road lights from Fireball. Good stuff.

Good luck

Mike

21 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Tom...just recently finished the kit you are working on.  The secret is in the tweezers.  The craft stores sell a pair that come to a very fine point.  Not exactly cheap. They are used for small paper craft work and very sharp. . These tweezers grab all the way down to the tip and will hold the fine edge of the most delicate decals. Slide the decal to the edge of the paper til just a little bit is over the edge. Apply the decal to a spot of solvent.  You can use the tip to move it into position. Everybody elses tips were spot on. I am 74 and don't have that shaky hnds but I do have ancient eyes. Comes with the territory I guess. 

PS...don't drop these on the floor. They ALWAYS land right on

Enter this term into Ebay's search engine:

kingsdun 8pcs pointed precision tweezers set

I've had a set for about five years, now, and love them! There's one selling for $20, shipped. Well worth the price!

13 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Enter this term into Ebay's search engine:

kingsdun 8pcs pointed precision tweezers set

I've had a set for about five years, now, and love them! There's one selling for $20, shipped. Well worth the price!

I'll check them out. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 2:00 PM, Rich Chernosky said:

I am 74 and don't have that shaky hnds but I do have ancient eyes. Comes with the territory I guess.

I've had cataract surgery on both eyes a couple of years. ago. I've got so many lights up, my hobby area looks like Broadway.

21 hours ago, Mike 1017 said:

You can either spray them with Dull Coat or Clear Coat. The waterslide decals are hard to work with especially the tiny ones. If you don't cut them out close to perfect sometimes the film gets in the way. It can get pretty frustrating. I also bought a set of road lights from Fireball. Good stuff.

Good luck

Mike

Thanks Mike. I think I'll try that clear coat idea. 

I got the Fireball light kit, but these are just the decals from that. I asked Joseph who makes his decals, and he told me he would make some more and send them to me in my next shipment. Thse lights are from the Deserter GMC kit. Still hanent gotten around to painting the Fireball lights, but I got them all prepped.

On 8/10/2022 at 1:40 PM, Miatatom said:

I'm working on a XKE. The dash has a bazillion small decals. My shaky 78 year old hands make this a particularly difficult task. What are some tricks for making this a little easier?

I applaud you. 78 and still building models.

Mike