Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1950 ford F1

this kit was started a while ago. Unfortunately, the paint was ruined after applying the clear coat. I had to strip the paint yesterday and went back to stage 1. Once the paint is cured I will spray the clear again.

Walid 

IMG_20220810_140657.jpg

IMG_20220810_180003.jpg

IMG_20220810_222117.jpg

IMG_20220810_222049.jpg

• Like 4

On 8/11/2022 at 4:43 PM, espo said:

Interesting looking color. What did you use? I'm a big fan of this kit and have built a couple. This build makes me want to do another one. 

I am using Humbrol enamel matt colours. Clear gloss will follow.

3 hours ago, CabDriver said:

What happened with the clear first time around? 

I sprayed the clear using a spray can. The nozzle was too wide. The surface was very rough when I tried to increase the distance. Spraying from a close distance resulted in a very thick layer. The paint ran at several places. I had a similarly bad experience with automotive paint repair cans of the same manufacturer. The quality is OK but the nozzles are intended for real cars not small models.

This time only decanted paint.

Regards

Walid

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Burned through the paint after repainting another burned through spot. So I will strip the hood.... Again. I am starting to believe this kit was made 6th of June at 6:00 am. The ugly point is I ran out of paint and had to buy an extra tin. The paint shades are not identical 😭

IMG_20221022_170057.jpg

Edited by khier

Now it is the time to return to the interior. Apart from the impossible to paint gauges, I am generally satisfied (which is a rare feeling). If I am going to build it again, I would choose different shades of grey to avoid the monotony I ended up with. I still have two kits in my inventory, but they will not be built soon. I had enough frustration with is one.

IMG_20221030_201031.jpg

IMG_20221030_201123.jpg

• Like 1