Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fireball F-250 Suspension kit.

14 hours ago, Mike C. said:

Joseph has announced on his site that he will soon be making the F-250 suspension kits again, I'm assuming that these were for the Mobius kits. Has anybody ever tried them on the later Superstones F-150s or '78 Bronco kits?

I believe the frames are identical so in theory it should work. I am not an expert on the Ford drivetrain so it could be the transfer case is different for the 78 and newer Fords so that might be the one thing to look at if you are going for accuracy.

As far as the Bronco? One could swap the heavier axles and leaf springs, especially if you are building one with larger tires and lift, remember some doing that back in the late 70's/early 80's.

• Like 1

Fireball's F 250  4x4 conversion kit is excellent. These are the products that most resin people said wasn't worth the investment because we are too small a niche. WRONG. I heard they sold like hot cakes. ITS THE SUBJECT MATTER THAT COUNTS.   Back to working on the if it is appropriate for the 70's AMT Ford pickup Stones, Star truk, Super Camper Special etc. etc.  Answer, No, unless you shorten the wheelbase and use another bed with the standard 8' pickup box  or use a utility type service body. Ford never offered the AMT Ford body style in 4x4, the Stones kit does not exist in 1:1. First year of the F 350 4x4 was 1979 and used the standard wheelbase 8' box. In retrospect, a one year only deal, in 1980, the body style was completely changed. The '79 F 350 4x4 is probably a collectors item today.

Edited by leafsprings

14 minutes ago, leafsprings said:

Fireball's F 250  4x4 conversion kit is excellent. These are the products that most resin people said wasn't worth the investment because we are too small a niche. WRONG. I heard they sold like hot cakes. ITS THE SUBJECT MATTER THAT COUNTS.   Back to working on the if it is appropriate for the 70's AMT Ford pickup Stones, Star truk, Super Camper Special etc. etc.  Answer, No, unless you shorten the wheelbase and use another bed with the standard 8' pickup box  or use a utility type service body. Ford never offered the AMT Ford body style in 4x4, the Stones kit does not exist in 1:1. First year of the F 350 4x4 was 1979 and used the standard wheelbase 8' box. In retrospect, a one year only deal, in 1980, the body style was completely changed. The '79 F 350 4x4 is probably a collectors item today.

I'm not real concerned about the historical correctness; I just want to know how well it will work.

Just for informations sake I wanted to mention that the Fireball kit isn't correct for the AMT 78-79 kit. The Fireball kit replicates the pre-77 1/2 F-250 Highboy with the spring perch on the front differential and divorced transfer case. Here's a link with more info.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/what-is-a-ford-highboy/

38 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

Ahhh! But it is correct for a '73. If this kit is really that expensive, I'll have to see what I can do with my many GMC suspensions I already have. Now I KNOW those are incorrect but maybe they'll work.

2005062470_R(3).jpg.bedcbc0f2d1b2ae0c24eb31d6d08a5c8.jpg

Yes, the Fireball kit would be correct for a 73. There's still the issue that Ford didn't make 4x4 Camper Specials until 77 but that is what it is. If you could find a 77 grille the Fireball kit would be correct for an early Camper Special 4x4.

33 minutes ago, Matt T. said:

That will be a cool build!

I would have to check the part numbers, but these are Fireball’s Hurricane mags in his tires – designed to work directly with the F-250 conversion kit.

5E1A2D10-02E9-4025-BEF9-B947AB336280.jpeg

That looks great with that wheel/tire combo. I will look forward to that build.

I have many of those Fireball Wstern Hurricane wheels with the super swampers.  Already need more.