Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Challenger

Terry Jessee

40 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

Nicely done MOPAR, that yellow really pops.  I have never really understood the exhaust system on these cars, why not under the axle and out the back?

It was a popular thing at the time to have exhaust pipes exit in front of the rear tires at least where I live and Chrysler was trying to give buyers what was trendy.

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

Nicely done MOPAR, that yellow really pops.  I have never really understood the exhaust system on these cars, why not under the axle and out the back?

1 hour ago, oldscool said:

It was a popular thing at the time to have exhaust pipes exit in front of the rear tires at least where I live and Chrysler was trying to give buyers what was trendy.

Possibly and at least partly true for sure but I always figured Mopar was trying to make those cars and the AAR Cudas look as much like the actual track cars raced in the Trans-Am serise as possible.

Trans-Am Racing | Dodge Challenger Forum

image.jpeg.3b5395bdbe094c1d9197165082b79dc7.jpeg

1971 AMC Javelin Trans-Am car. - Sports Car Digest - The Sports, Racing and  Vintage Car Journal

Chevrolet Camaro Z-28 Penske Trans-Am 1968 1

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great looking color and graphics. I like the way you detailed the undercarriage and engine. You are correct about MoPar and the way they marketed these models back in the day. The Trans Am race series was very popular and they were trying to simulate the body markings as well as the exhaust. They also had G60x15 rear Good Year Polyglass tires and E60x15s on the front as standard equipment along with the exhaust system. I wouldn't know if the exhaust added any horsepower, but it sure sounded like it. I was working for Good Year at that time and was at one of the stores in Riverside Ca. When they were racing at the old Riverside Raceway, we would have a couple of display race cars in the parking lot in front of the store. I got pull them out in the morning and tuck them into the service bay at night. We had the yellow Swed Savage #77 car pictured above, I just wanted to go AWOL with it, but I also valued my job.