Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hold that hood.

Right or wrong, I try to do all my body painting with the hood on (carryover from 1:1 days).  Cuts down on mismatches painting the hood separately.  Up til now I have always give it a touch of glue in a couple spots to hold it on.  The ubiquitous tak stuff seems to work as well, however, and, less cleanup after painting.

CBA62FAB-F02E-4564-855B-0D4B964D54A9.jpeg

• Like 1

i never had that problem and i use rattle cans..if u shake the can 2 minuets ever time u use it (looking at a clock ..not guessing) then the paint will be the same color. now for you air bush users yea that could save you...

4 minutes ago, Perspective Customs said:

How do you get paint on the edges where the hood and fenders meet?

That would be my concern as well. I have never had a problem with color match as I have been fortunate enough to paint all body pieces in the first sitting most of the time. Good lighting to view the parts when freshly applied helps a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had this problem as well.

Best practice for me is to paint the parts separately for the first few coats, and then, once the underside of the hood and any inner fender well areas that require body color are fully painted, I'll tape the hood in place from the underside and give the body one or two more coats with the hood in place.

This usually will eliminate any issues.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been using plain, old masking tape to hold my hoods in place for painting for 60 years.  One thing I do is use small pieces of tape on the sides and at the cowl with a little extra length of tape pieces so that the hood sits just above above the surfaces of the parts surrounding it.  This gets the hood, fender, and cowl edges painted at the same time.

A.J.

• Thanks 1

I always paint the underside of the hood and the engine bay first. Then tape the hood to the body with blue tape. If needed, I'll push the hood up slightly so that it's above the fenders. 

With pickups, I have a jig made so that I can tape the cab and bed onto and spray as a unit. I spray the cab wall and front of the bed first. 

• Thanks 1

Used  masking tape yesterday and worked fine.  As others have said, you can paint the hood underside first getting the edges at that time, or hold the hood on with whatever method, leaving the hood sitting ajar, so the edges are covered when painting the whole car.  Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.