Who's the Oldest Builder on the Forums?

Miatatom

10 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Well I hope you had a Happy Birthday!

10 hours ago, Miatatom said:

Happy birthday, Snake!

6 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Happy birthday, Snake.

Thanks, all. It was actually my worst birthday ever for reasons I won't get into here, but after surviving a stroke in April, I guess any birthday on this side of the grass at this point is a happy birthday, and I give thanks to God for it. :unsure:

• Like 2

I am 81 and often feel like it.  But still have the desire to build kits, just have to take a little more time and concentrate more on the fiddly stuff.  

Posted my most recent build the new International Transtar a little while ago and I am now gathering and prepping Chevy Impala kits for the years 1958 thru 1966 to take me through the rest of this year.  Pretty ambitious project for me. 

13 hours ago, Miatatom said:

I received a nice compliment here on the forum recently because I'm 78 and still trying to build model cars. So that got me thinking, who's the oldest person actually still building on this forum? I turned 78 in May.

You beat me by a month. The biggest challenge in building today seems to be the eyesight and the arthritis in the hands. Otherwise, I feel like a young man trapped in this old body.  

2 hours ago, modelercarl said:

I am 81 and often feel like it.  But still have the desire to build kits, just have to take a little more time and concentrate more on the fiddly stuff.  

Posted my most recent build the new International Transtar a little while ago and I am now gathering and prepping Chevy Impala kits for the years 1958 thru 1966 to take me through the rest of this year.  Pretty ambitious project for me. 

Well, I've been beaten. 😂👍 Rock on, Carl!

1 hour ago, espo said:

You beat me by a month. The biggest challenge in building today seems to be the eyesight and the arthritis in the hands. Otherwise, I feel like a young man trapped in this old body.  

As for eyesight issues, I've got lot of lights hung up. But when I really need a lot of concentrated light I use this. It's an old magnetic base for holding stuff like a depth gauge. I bought a clamp on eBay and a really bright flashlight from Harbor Freight and it really helps a lot.

20220815_133349.jpg

I use one of those desk mounted lights on an articulated arm with a circular light with a magnifying glass in the center. This has worked well with a few draw backs. The distance between whatever I'm detailing, and the magnifying glass doesn't leave a lot of room sometimes for the tools I'm using. Beyond that it's just needing a new prescription for my glasses.   

12 hours ago, modelercarl said:

I am only 61 and still working full time. I too hope to build every impala from 58 to 70. Just missing 68 and 69.

9 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I am only 61 and still working full time. I too hope to build every impala from 58 to 70. Just missing 68 and 69.

Bill,  Like you I am also missing the '68 and '69 Impala models, have the '70 ready for build (I owned one that I bought new).  A casual search for the 2 missing kits seems to show that these two might be very hard to find.