Model Cars Magazine Forum

SMP 1962 Chevrolet Pickup---built from NOS kit

I usually post cars but also like pickups so decided to try posting one of them. I built this one from an NOS kit. Nothing fancy, just a simple, plain build of one of my favorite pickups (along with the 60 Fords and Chevys).

The side mirror is held on with a bit of putty. I don't like to drill holes or cement them and often leave them off.  The trim is Bare Metal Foil. I left the engine very simple.

Thank you for taking the time to look. I always appreciate  comments, good or bad,  and am happy to answer any questions.   -Rich

DSC01500.JPG

DSC01508.JPG

DSC01509.JPG

DSC01512.JPG

DSC01514.JPG

DSC01521.JPG

DSC01533.JPG

DSC01541.JPG

DSC01582.JPG

DSC01583.JPG

DSC01584.JPG

DSC01585.JPG

DSC01586.JPG

DSC01587.JPG

DSC01588.JPG

DSC01589.JPG

DSC01552.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, espo said:

With these finishes this looks as good as any new tool pickup kit of today. 

David, thanks very much. The newer kits may have better undercarriage and engine detail but I think it's hard to beat the accuracy of the original issue bodies.  I build almost exclusively early original issue kits whether cars, trucks, or rods.   -Rich

1 hour ago, BIGTRUCK said:

That has to be the best looking stock early 60s pickup Ive seen. Very nice looking build.

I appreciate your kind comment, Ken. I'll post a 60 Ford and 60 Chevrolet pickup when I get around to it.  -Rich

Beautiful truck Rich !  Your trim work and detailing are super nice , very well done !  I understand why you use putty to attach the mirror , I feel the same way . For mirrors -wipers-etc... I always use Detail Tack from Micro Mark , it stays sticky when dry so parts can be repositioned easily .  

The '62 is one of the nicest looking trucks from this era , this kit needs to be reissued . :)

2 hours ago, TooOld said:

Beautiful truck Rich !  Your trim work and detailing are super nice , very well done !  I understand why you use putty to attach the mirror , I feel the same way . For mirrors -wipers-etc... I always use Detail Tack from Micro Mark , it stays sticky when dry so parts can be repositioned easily .  

The '62 is one of the nicest looking trucks from this era , this kit needs to be reissued . :)

Thanks for your comments Bob. I've had people say I should use mirrors, antennas, etc. I have plenty and do put them on some models, but leave them off most of my builds. I can always add them later.  Most of the models I build are 50's and 60's cars and the radio, mirror, heater, backup lights, etc. were options and many cars didn't have them. It took me a long time to find a mirror for my 1:1 61 Chrysler, for instance.

For years I've used Mortite to attach mirrors, etc. It stays sticky too so mirrors, etc. can be removed and put back.

I agree, the 62 Chevrolet pickup is one of my favorites. I really like the grille and side trim.  -Rich