Model Cars Magazine Forum

'64 Olds Cutlass kit problem

Been piddlin' around with the '64 Cutlass convertible kit reissue, and I am over all very happy with it, as these mid-'60s GM midsize cars are among my favorites all across the maker's lineup. I'm wondering if anyone else has run up against a small issue that I'm dealing with: the passenger side of the front of the hood is short shot, or at least it seems to be short shot - it could be a mold flaw I guess. I opened up a second copy of the kit, same problem. Both kits convertible, don't have the hardtop kit yet. Can someone post a closeup pic of the hardtop hood for comparison? Also, check your convertible hoods. The hood fits the oping fine except coming up almost 1-1/2mm short of the front of the fender on the passenger side. Also notice from my pics how the O-L-D-S letters are nearly off the hood along their bottom edges; there's just not quite enough plastic there, and you can see the wonky shape compared to the driver's side. (This is 2 views of the same hood. Second hood identical)

shortshothood-1.png

Edited by bisc63
add info

Thanks, I had not noticed that.

Now I'll have to check Mine.

Might be worth looking at Tim Boyds coverage of these kits.

https://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/first-detailed-look-4/first-detailed-look/

https://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/first-look-amt-roun-3/first-look-amt-roun/

Both the Vert and the Hardtop are there.

3 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Might be worth looking at Tim Boyds coverage of these kits.

Yeah, Tim's photos show the hood to be a perfect fit, so mine is (are) suffering from a shortage of styrene. As Roger stated above, it will be hard to fix without losing some letters. I'm going to try and fix it, but it looks like a mild shaving is ahead for my Olds. I was hoping to build one completely stock!

13 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

Yeah, Tim's photos show the hood to be a perfect fit, so mine is (are) suffering from a shortage of styrene. As Roger stated above, it will be hard to fix without losing some letters. I'm going to try and fix it, but it looks like a mild shaving is ahead for my Olds. I was hoping to build one completely stock!

Some photoetch OLDSMOBILE lettering would fix ya right up there Rusty.

MCG doesn't make a set specifically for that kit but they do make a couple sets you could use the lettering from

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

How does the hood fit the body? Particularly at the area the hood looks wonky.

Over all, the hood fit is good, so snug it may require sanding the edges to allow for paint, but as you can see, just a little short on the right.

hoodwonk (1).JPG

hoodwonk (2).JPG

If you have the same problem on 2 kits, that's probably something that they may not even be aware of and need to be.

I agree with Alan. Notify Round 2 (nicely) that there may be a problem so they can look into it. And let them know that you've had the same problem on TWO kits, so they are aware it's not a one-off issue and that you're not trying to diss them for extra free parts. 

Probably would be a good idea to send them a picture of both hoods to show them what is happening. 

9 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Over all, the hood fit is good, so snug it may require sanding the edges to allow for paint, but as you can see, just a little short on the right.

hoodwonk (1).JPG

hoodwonk (2).JPG

It should fit the same on both sides, looks like a short shot issue to me.  Please go to the Round2 website and either use the contact us or Replacement part section to explain the issue. 

It would be helpful if you got the production date codes for each kit.  It's right below the bar code on the bottom of the box. 

-Steve

• Like 1

I looked at Tim's and Randy's build before posting, to be sure, and both looked perfect to me. Thanks everyone for confirming what I already suspected, and I think I will take Steve's advice and send pictures of both my hoods to Round2 and see if they can help. I'll post a follow-up here. Stay tuned!

On 8/22/2022 at 6:10 PM, bisc63 said:

Small update: after a simple request process, received email today that Rouind2 is sending me replacement hoods for my defective parts. Thanks Steve and Doug from Round2!

...and today I received my 2 replacement hoods. THAT is customer service! Now to finish my build...