Model Cars Magazine Forum

Well it’s finally announced.😦

On 8/18/2022 at 10:01 AM, Plowboy said:

I agree that EV's aren't the magic bullet that everyone's hoping for. But, we have to start somewhere. We'll never know if we never try. There's no greater ignorance than doing nothing. This is the only planet we have. For too long people haven't cared and have left it to the next generation. As long as it doesn't happen in their lifetime, they don't care. That old way of thinking is why we are where we are. Personally, I want better for my children and grandchildren. 

Boy, could I debate you on passing problems onto our children and grandchildren, when the national debt grows exponentially by the week and we aren't even spending it on anything remotely beneficial for the common good - either now or the future! Who's gonna have to deal with that financial burden? The same children people claim to care about.

As far as alternatives, which I already posted back on the first page here. Up until just a few years ago, there was development going on in various forms of cleaner burning vehicles, not just this one "take it and deal with it" solution. Now were being force fed this tripe, meanwhile nothing more is said of the other valid alternative alternatives. There are people reaping giant wealth from the kickbacks involved with EV technology - and I don't mean Elon Musk. I'm talking about elites who know nothing about the technology or the industry, but are turning the screws in a way that benefits their own wallets!

I think what's getting the ire of most of the more "experienced" folks here is that just because you're driving your zero emmisions vehicle and snubbing the peasants who don't move with the latest trend, that vehicle is still creating a "carbon footprint" from the coal or fuel burning power plant it's drawing it's "clean energy" from. All you're doing is transferring your ecological guilt from your driveway to another town or country that produces the same pollution. So you are not making smog, the entity that's providing your electricity is. But I guess if you don't see it, it's not your problem and it doesn't exist.

Even if everybody drives electric cars and there isn't any change in REAL sustainable energy, IE: nuclear or massive hydro-electric power plants, there will still be greenhouse gases along with incomprehensible, nationwide power blackouts. How is that progress?

You want to eliminate methane gas? Permanently eliminate cattle and flatulating animals from the planet. Is that the next step?

Want to lower CO2 - STOP BREATHING!

Speaking of CO2 emmisions, explain to me why we have to destroy all the trees in parking lots to put up those ugly solar panel stations? Are they replanting 5 trees for every 1 they rip down? Not in my state they're not! We can't have trees blocking that sunlight or slowing down the wind blowing toward those windmill generators. 

When is the last time any dams or reservoirs have been built to store water runoff from storms and snowmelt? In my state - none. People complain about drought conditions, but have done nothing to prepare ahead of time for it. Hydroelectric power generators run off of the water going through the dams release. Building water control channels takes care of two problems, water reserves and electric production. Also, hydrogen could be produced at the same facilities, adding more clean energy production. How come a Schlub like me can come up with common sense solutions that benefit all people? They talk about doom and gloom, but do nothing to realistically fix it.

On 8/18/2022 at 10:12 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Then why don't you educate yourself about the existing technology that's capable of removing, capturing, and recycling carbon dioxide from natural-gas and coal-burning plants' exhaust plumes, and get vocal about mandating THAT? Because for the foreseeable future, "renewables" simply are not going to be able to keep up with ever increasing loads on the grid from electric vehicles.

We have 200 or more years-worth of coal right here in the good old USA, we don't need to buy it from anybody outside, and it CAN be 100% carbon-neutral.

Many localities are already experiencing the false promise of relying on renewables at our CURRENT demand level, both here and abroad, they're looking back at coal and nuclear, and a little open-minded research into FACTS concerning global energy usage might give you a better perspective on what needs to be done.

The evidence for steam, propane, natural gas, hydrogen, hybrid technology already exist. However, being force fed electric cars powered by solar panels and wind turbines is having an effect on some who only tune in to mainstream media. 

No matter how many facts are produced or how history has explained the obvious, those "enlightened" individuals will never be convinced of anything more than what they have already been fed.

On 8/18/2022 at 10:21 AM, Plowboy said:

So, the billions of current ICE vehicles in the world will magically disappear in 2035? 

No, but if the powers-that-be have their way, they'll just regulate them out of existence and leave us all in the dark, and hungry.

On 8/18/2022 at 10:29 AM, iBorg said:

This could lead to a cycle of only being able to afford expensive transportation.

Expensive tech cars or expensive fuel to power them. Financial debt just to remain mobile. A far cry from the industrial revolution of a hundred years ago that gave people hope for prosperity and affordable modern living. 

Edited by Oldcarfan27
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I had to laugh!  Shell keep pushing an advert on UK TV about how they claim to be at the forefront in developing 'clean' energy for general use and more charging points for electric cars being set up all around the country. Despite all this our energy prices are going through the roof, our government have not invested in enough nuclear power stations that were heralded as being able to supply plentiful and cheap electricity. A target has been set to replace all fossil fuel driven cars to be replaced by currently over expensive electric cars. Aren't wind turbines supposed to produce clean and CHEAP electricity?

Oh well!        Maybe one day they will learn when the national grid fails and all the lights go out and everyone stranded when they cannot charge up their electric cars. Producing thousands of power hungry EV's before the national grid has been boosted with more power stations is madness.

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

I had to laugh!  Shell keep pushing an advert on UK TV about how they claim to be at the forefront in developing 'clean' energy for general use and more charging points for electric cars being set up all around the country. Despite all this our energy prices are going through the roof, our government have not invested in enough nuclear power stations that were heralded as being able to supply plentiful and cheap electricity. A target has been set to replace all fossil fuel driven cars to be replaced by currently over expensive electric cars. Aren't wind turbines supposed to produce clean and CHEAP electricity?

Oh well!        Maybe one day they will learn when the national grid fails and all the lights go out and everyone stranded when they cannot charge up their electric cars. Producing thousands of power hungry EV's before the national grid has been boosted with more power stations is madness.

I really want to reply to this, but it would get me a ban.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2022 at 10:18 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Also, this will not mean that existing ICE vehicles are banned. Everyone can keep on driving their old cars and SUVs. And you will still be able to purchase used ICE vehicles.

Yes, we will be able to continue driving our ICE vehicles, if we can afford the $10 or more/gallon of fossil fuel.  Which will undoubtedly be heavily rationed and nearly impossible to find.  As has been mentioned there is a place for EV, but not a nationwide mandate.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

Yes, we will be able to continue driving our ICE vehicles, if we can afford the $10 or more/gallon of fossil fuel.  Which will undoubtedly be heavily rationed and nearly impossible to find.  As has been mentioned there is a place for EV, but not a nationwide mandate.

With a current world crisis looming, the US could be a world leader and supply all the free world's needs for much needed energy while simultaneously crushing the regimes that are engaging in the destruction of world peace and security. We could be a wealthy and prosperous nation and have all the finances we could ever need to invest in truly cleaner burning energy solutions, if only we would allow the production of the various forms of fuel that the world depends on NOW! We have more than enough natural resources to supply the world for hundreds of years. Add to that the power to control the destructive tendencies of other threatening countries who are set out to destroy us in our weakness. 

THAT is the global crisis that nobody is talking about!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So, let’s focus on the positives of EV from a gear head point of view . Instant torque, low maintenance, in a pinch , throw an extra battery or two in the trunk….., quite sure eventually we can hot rod these things , instead of cam 2 in the tank, you’ll have a tag along diesel generator to recharge while on the move. Wanna race? Just gimme a minute to unhook my trailer, lol.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

I quite like looking at the one horsepower, one oxpower vehicle pictures being posted.   Inpiration.

My next year's entry into civilian vehicles at IPMS Scalemodelworld at Telford next year perhaps?

The way things are going, they'll be stars at the SEMA show in not too much longer.

35 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

But think how much money you saved on gas...  ;)

302120875_2271365626355654_6624415251528409529_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=IGte_Hi5h2cAX-Vft4O&tn=BywR_O_NN6KKeYB-&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.xx&oh=00_AT-xvNisVv1sCMHY8HmhTFtV4iVb0kbjYru3nM4vmoEwrg&oe=631501B6

This is not the full story.  This was a battery replacement for a discontinued car, (12 years old) in which Chevy no longer offers replacement batteries.  This particular battery is from a 3rd party, in which these batteries are extremely rare.  Most batteries cost between $2k-$8k, and last up to 15 years.  As well, electric cars from 10 years ago were basically very early in their development.  They've come a long way, and as more and more get made, the technology will get better (and hopefully, the cost of batteries, etc will drop).  

I get your point, but because this receipt is making the rounds on the internet, tells you that this is by far the exception and not the norm.  

Again, your point is well taken though, many questions still remain about maintenance costs, etc for electric vehicles.

Just now, bluenote said:

This is not the full story.  This was a battery replacement for a discontinued car, (12 years old) in which Chevy no longer offers replacement batteries.  This particular battery is from a 3rd party, in which these batteries are extremely rare.  Most batteries cost between $2k-$8k, and last up to 15 years.  As well, electric cars from 10 years ago were basically very early in their development.  They've come a long way, and as more and more get made, the technology will get better (and hopefully, the cost of batteries, etc will drop).  

I get your point, but because this receipt is making the rounds on the internet, tells you that this is by far the exception and not the norm.  

Again, your point is well taken though, many questions still remain about maintenance costs, etc for electric vehicles.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/chevy-volt-battery-invoice/

39 minutes ago, bluenote said:

Snopes? Really?

It's not that I disagree with you...and if you'll look, I posted a little winking face after the header, which generally indicates a joke, or a tongue-in-cheek statement.

But thinking Snopes is the final arbiter on anything is absurd. They've demonstrated their bias countless times, and it's often painfully obvious. They also sometimes get things dead wrong.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY

I want to know how long I have to live when I hit a patch of ice in North Dakota, with my Tesla, with a half a charge, during a raging snow storm, when it's 35 degrees below zero in January, and end up in the ditch.

Or what is going to take place when I'm commuting back home from work in July in Phoenix in 104 degree temps and I get stuck in a traffic jam.

Or when I decide to hook my camper to my new electric Ford pickup and take it a few hundred miles camping.

Steve

One more time, for all those whose initial response is to denigrate anyone who criticizes any of their cherished but poorly thought out beliefs...THERE IS A PLACE FOR ELECTRIC VEHICLES IN A RATIONAL TRANSPORTATION MIX.

But TRYING TO FORCE EVERYONE TO COMPLY WITH A TOTAL PHASE-OUT OF ICE VEHICLES IS IDIOCY.

WE ARE NOT READY.

Both California and Texas, just citing two states out of 50, are currently incapable of keeping up with EXISTING DEMAND on the grid in peak circumstances. If the generating capacity isn't there NOW, what magic flock of winged rainbow-striped unicorns is going to swoop down from Lala Land and build the required upgrades in the near future?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Snopes? Really?

It's not that I disagree with you...and if you'll look, I posted a little winking face after the header, which generally indicates a joke, or a tongue-in-cheek statement.

But thinking Snopes is the final arbiter on anything is absurd. They've demonstrated their bias countless times, and it's often painfully obvious. They also sometimes get things dead wrong.

I actually know nothing about Snopes to be honest!  

Sorry, missed the emoji you posted as well 🙂