Model Cars Magazine Forum

1973 Plymouth Satellite Sebring

Chuck Most

I didn't so much build this kit, as put it out of it's misery. Sheesh. This thing had more warp than five seasons of Star Trek. Which series? Pick one. The best parts on it are the Missing Link hood and wheel covers. Said hood fit perfectly, better than the kit hood, even... until the chassis was inserted. Now it's a little high at the driver's rear corner. It was worse but with a little trimming to the underside and a bit of gentle bending I got it somewhere near presentable. Other than those and the tires (robbed from an MPC 1978 Dodge D150) it's box stock and coated in Testors Root Beer. Well... the plates aren't fromt he kit. The front one is from Best Model Car Parts and the rear one is from Three Inches Under. I managed to find a small strip of unused BMF from before it was "improved" so at least I wouldn't have that headache on this one. Kind of a junker but I'm guessing the actual 1973 Satellites weren't any kind of master class in craftsmanship either, so I guess it fits. At least that's what I'll tell myself. :P 

I've heard blowing up models with firecrackers is fun, but it's a decent enough looking shelf model for what it is so I suppose it doesn't deserve that kind of fate. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bisc63 said:

Looks nice! Love the model, really like the real cars, but I hate the bumper guards on these! Why did they do that?!

1973 was the first year for the Federally Mandated 5mph bumpers. If the previous body hugging bumpers didn't pass, they had to add cushions like these or install those giant railroad ties that ended up on just about everything else.

I think this was a good compromise. Don't like 'em? Just unbolt them and put a regular chrome bumper bolt into the hole. Voila, problem solved!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

1973 was the first year for the Federally Mandated 5mph bumpers. If the previous body hugging bumpers didn't pass, they had to add cushions like these or install those giant railroad ties that ended up on just about everything else.

I think this was a good compromise. Don't like 'em? Just unbolt them and put a regular chrome bumper bolt into the hole. Voila, problem solved!

To build on Patrick's comment....the 1973 Fed requirement was 5mph front/ 2.5mph rear bumper impacts, followed by 5mph front and 5mph rear bumpers. 

This was a huge hit to the auto makers as this demanded all sorts of unplanned and unfunded engineering and production resources to bring to market, plus the detrimental impact on design (witness the tragedy of the 1973 Torino front end vs. the super-cool 1972 Torino treatment).  Some of the cars were given a partial pass by allowing the big rubber impact pads, but only for 1973/74.  On the Mopars that featured this approach, you'll notice the rear bumper guards were smaller in 1973, and as big as the front pads in 1974.  I considered this approach to be so much better than the "railroad tie" execution found on most Fords and some GM vehicles during those two model years.  Plus, you could order the Mopars with a chrome bumper extension/pad holder that reduced the visual impact of the pads, as I did on my factory ordered '[74 RR.     

Of course, none of the promised savings on insurance actually materialized, the bumpers added weight and cost and reduced gas mileage, et al, et al.  Out of respect for our hosts here, I will spare my perspective on Federal involvement in car design....TB  

I like it.

Just by coincidence I have a Road Runner test shot and a set of "premier" wheels covers from a '66 Charger annual on the bench right now contemplating a Sebring Plus conversion.

I'm hoping mine looks as good as yours should I take the plunge.