Model Cars Magazine Forum

Getting back on the saddle

Typ44

Greetings from Washington state. 

Like a lot of you I built quite a few model car kits as a kid and young teen then life got in the way. I built a few in my late 20's after finding a nice one at a garage sale resparked my interest but life got in the way again.

So I've just been collecting kits and random modeling tools here and there the last 25 years as I come across interesting stuff I can't pass on figuring I'de get to it eventually.

After moving some stuff around in storage when moving recently I realized I have 20 plus kits and a bunch of tools so I've finally decided to dive back into it!

I'm not much of a forum or social media in general type of guy but poking around the web this seemed to be a good forum with respectful helpful people, and nobody I know is into the hobby so figured I'de give it a shot. 

• Like 2

Forums such as this one can be an invaluable tool for advancing your skills and techniques.

Hitch your wagon to a few guys who are actively doing the kinds of things that you want to do, and then follow along, experiment and ask questions, and before you know it, you’ll have picked up all kinds of goodies to help you get back on track after your long hiatus.

Steve

What to build next is a question all modelers ask our selves all most every time we finish a project, straighten up the work bench(?) and which direction to head next. For some it's looking at our stash of unfinished past projects. For others searching for that magazine article made that mag worth buying in the first place 'cause it really would make a very cool model. Others visit the model kit stash we have accumulated hoping something we really should get started on. It's out there, you'll find it eventually.

22 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Forums such as this one can be an invaluable tool for advancing your skills and techniques.

Hitch your wagon to a few guys who are actively doing the kinds of things that you want to do, and then follow along, experiment and ask questions, and before you know it, you’ll have picked up all kinds of goodies to help you get back on track after your long hiatus.

Steve

Thanks Steve, Ive been lurking around some threads and watching too many videos, I realized Im getting bogged down spending too much time watching others build instead of getting to it. Got sidetracked building a spray booth but am spreading a kit out on the bench today.

19 hours ago, misterNNL said:

What to build next is a question all modelers ask our selves all most every time we finish a project, straighten up the work bench(?) and which direction to head next. For some it's looking at our stash of unfinished past projects. For others searching for that magazine article made that mag worth buying in the first place 'cause it really would make a very cool model. Others visit the model kit stash we have accumulated hoping something we really should get started on. It's out there, you'll find it eventually.

I have narrowed it down to starting with the cheapest readily available kit I have which is an amt '70 ZR1. Im not really into corvettes (although I do really like the styling of the late 60's/ very early 70's vettes)and the kit is cheap so not gonna worry about it being perfect and just enjoy the process. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 4:49 PM, Typ44 said:

Thanks Steve, Ive been lurking around some threads and watching too many videos, I realized Im getting bogged down spending too much time watching others build instead of getting to it. Got sidetracked building a spray booth but am spreading a kit out on the bench today.

I have narrowed it down to starting with the cheapest readily available kit I have which is an amt '70 ZR1. Im not really into corvettes (although I do really like the styling of the late 60's/ very early 70's vettes)and the kit is cheap so not gonna worry about it being perfect and just enjoy the process. 

That is a smart move - get your feet wet with something that you can afford to screw up. I personally have tried to hold on to every build, even the bad ones - they remind me of how far I've progressed and I was proud of them at the time I completed them!

On 8/28/2022 at 11:49 PM, Wolf said:

Greetings, salutations, and welcome here Howard!

I look forward to seeing you ‘vette in progress.

Cheers,    
Wolf (from just north of the 49th in Abbotsford)

Thank you sir.

2 hours ago, DanR said:

That is a smart move - get your feet wet with something that you can afford to screw up. I personally have tried to hold on to every build, even the bad ones - they remind me of how far I've progressed and I was proud of them at the time I completed them!

Yeah I realized when unpacking all the kits Ive collected that 95% of them are either out of production or costly to track down.

Some of the 1/43 resin kits are beyond my current capabilities so dont even want to start on them yet.

Luckily theres a hobby lobby by my new place and they seem to have 40-50% off sales on models pretty frequently so I'll probably build a few cheap amt,revell,monogram kits first. 

• 2 months later...