Model Cars Magazine Forum

ScaleAuto body accuracy?

Ben Brown

Hi All,

I’ve been looking for a way to build a 1/24 static model of a Lamborghini Huracan GT3 and saw on ScaleAuto’s web site that they have a new 1/24 white body kit. Are ScaleAuto’s 1/24 car bodies generally pretty accurate or do they stretch or shrink the dimensions to fit on a standard-sized slot car chassis? I’m thinking if the body is to scale, I can mate it with a modified Nunu Audi R8 GT3 chassis and interior, since the real cars share the same platform. I’ve tried contacting ScaleAuto and both of their US vendors, but never got a response.

Thanks!

Ben

There is an international convention in place in most racing rules that 1/24 scale slot cars should be no wider than 3.25 inches, or ~83mm, if you prefer. This is done to make sure slot cars can pass each other without interference on commercial tracks which have traditionally been built with 4 inches between lanes. Based on the specs posted on the ScaleAuto website, it looks like all of their existing 1/24 models max out to 84mm in width (technically illegal, but irrelevant for your purpose). I found that a real Huracan GT3 is 2221 mm wide, which converts to 92 mm in 1/24 scale, so it seems that the ScaleAuto body is narrow by 8 mm, or about 5/16". Now a real Audi R8 GT3 is supposed to be 1940 mm wide, or 81 mm in 1/24. It looks like the Nunu chassis might fit under the ScaleAuto body based on width, but I don't have any wheelbase specs. And who can say if the Audi kit donor is exactly to scale as well?  I think their are too many variables in play for anyone to tell you without actually having tried it themselves, and even then you would have to accept that the Huracan will be a little narrower than it should be. (The ScaleAuto body length is close, 185 mm versus 189 mm for Huracan and 185 mm for Audi in scale).

Edited by jokar124

7 hours ago, jokar124 said:

There is an international convention in place in most racing rules that 1/24 scale slot cars should be no wider than 3.25 inches, or ~83mm, if you prefer. This is done to make sure slot cars can pass each other without interference on commercial tracks which have traditionally been built with 4 inches between lanes. Based on the specs posted on the ScaleAuto website, it looks like all of their existing 1/24 models max out to 84mm in width (technically illegal, but irrelevant for your purpose). I found that a real Huracan GT3 is 2221 mm wide, which converts to 92 mm in 1/24 scale, so it seems that the ScaleAuto body is narrow by 8 mm, or about 5/16". Now a real Audi R8 GT3 is supposed to be 1940 mm wide, or 81 mm in 1/24. It looks like the Nunu chassis might fit under the ScaleAuto body based on width, but I don't have any wheelbase specs. And who can say if the Audi kit donor is exactly to scale as well?  I think their are too many variables in play for anyone to tell you without actually having tried it themselves, and even then you would have to accept that the Huracan will be a little narrower than it should be. (The ScaleAuto body length is close, 185 mm versus 189 mm for Huracan and 185 mm for Audi in scale).

Thanks for the reply! I can work with this. The Audi wheelbase is 2" longer than the Huracan, so I was already going to have to make some adjustments to the chassis. I'm sure the cockpit will need tweaking, too. The Audi kit probably does have some dimensional inaccuracies, like all models do. I'll try to order a ScaleAuto body and start tinkering with it. That should guarantee Nunu or someone will release a 1/24 Huracan GT3 kit. 😄

Cheers!

Ben